You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 2000 Intentions

James wrote:

Two amazing fan made album covers from Reddit user Cumbiadrive

u3dj0rl2ego31.png

w26ow7edego31.png

If you prefer going old school and not fan made art...

ChineseDemocracy.jpg

Tracklist

Madagascar
There Was A Time
Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps
Prostitute
Riad & the Bedouins
Catcher in the Rye
Chinese Democracy
The Blues
Silkworms

Now that we've had some time to digest it(and eliminate it), how would you actually rate this as a stand alone album? The quality of the tracklist.....great as is or does it need to be shored up by another track or two from the sessions? While technically impossible to judge, how would virgin ears have responded to such an album without its dilution by live performances and leaks? Is it a comeback album or a serious misstep?

atlashrugs
 Rep: -6 

atlashrugs wrote:

the tracklist needs state of grace, better, and this i love.

James

James wrote:
atlashrugs wrote:

the tracklist needs state of grace, better, and this i love.

Better and This I Love are not  finished at that point so they are off the table by default.

Sky Dog wrote:

IRS for Silkworms and it is good to go. I don’t think it would have been considered a misstep but I don’t think it would have set the world on fire either. Solid songs but nothing that sets your hair on fire. (Assuming no Bucket solos on IRS or TWAT)

James

James wrote:

While I initially raved on the track sequencing of that disc... especially with Madagascar as the opener....after many more listens I've done a 180.

I'd still keep Madagascar to open the album, but it's top heavy with ballads. The 1-2 punch of Atlas-Perhaps is sweet but.... sandwiched between TWAT and Prostitute?!?

Too much syrup.

The very few rockers contained within need better disbursement.

Call me crazy but if this is the tracklist in 2000, I might've included OMG just to provide the album with some extra bite.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

IRS for Silkworms and it is good to go. I don’t think it would have been considered a misstep but I don’t think it would have set the world on fire either. Solid songs but nothing that sets your hair on fire. (Assuming no Bucket solos on IRS or TWAT)

Fuck I totally forgot IRS.

Definitely include that, scratch my idea of including OMG, although I would leave Silkworms on there. I'm not a big fan of it either but since it was showcased at their first few shows, I think it definitely would've been on the album.

I definitely consider it a pre-Bucket album even if the timeline allows for him to be waiting in the wings.

AtariLegend wrote:

My choice for 11 tracks to flow is:

Madagascar
Chinese Democracy
Atlas Shrugged
There Was A Time
Perhaps
Prostitute
Ryiad and the Bedouins
The Blues
I.R.S.
If the World
Catcher in the Rye

Don't think it's possible to get these to flow:

Hardschool
Silkworms
Nothing
State of Grace

Deffinitely need to leave off 4 to 5 tracks. You could I think fit them all in, but it's a little too heavy interms of listening. Apart from CD and Ryiad the other tracks feel alot longer than 4 minutes imo.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Include OMG, IRS, and State Of Grace and leave off Silkworms and Atlas or use them as B-Sides

James

James wrote:

Deffinitely need to leave off 4 to 5 tracks.

Agreed....and not just for time constraints either. Stinson said in that 2000-04 period that it wasn't going to be a long album.

Madagascar
There Was A Time
IRS
Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps
Chinese Democracy
Prostitute
State of Grace
Riad & the Bedouins
Catcher in the Rye
The Blues
Silkworms

I included State of Grace since we were already hearing about the NIN influence on the album and while this song was never name dropped, somebody clearly heard it to make the connection.

A 12 track album. Wrap it in cellophane, throw it on store shelves in the fall of 2000, let the chips fall where they may, and they've got something to tour behind as we enter 2001.

After the 2001 shows, head back to the studio   with the Bucket lineup and put the finishing touches on what's shaping up to be a very interesting follow up.

James

James wrote:
Vale wrote:

leave off Silkworms and Atlas or use them as B-Sides

3dy6b3.jpg

The diverging opinions on Atlas are interesting. It's a bit reminiscent of when Prostitute leaked.

Good point on the potential for B sides. It's easy to forget as GNR never really went full throttle on b sides although he did mention doing it in 2002.

Quality wise Silkworms is definitely in that category but on an album, especially as a closer, it shows the lineup's potential to veer in many directions.

It makes an interesting statement.

Board footer