You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 2000 Intentions

James wrote:
otto wrote:

The album was already named Chinese Democracy by this time, though.

For a brief moment in time, both album titles were in contention and this played into the momentary "Are they releasing two albums a la UYI" thing.

Two reasons it took a backseat and then faded into oblivion:

The media instantly jumped all over Chinese Democracy as it was a killer title.

When we got further into 2000 and an album was clearly not coming, there was no reason to have a millennial album title. That whole 99 trend of naming shit 2000 was already played out anyways

apex-twin wrote:

Then Kerrang parroted that in August, also suggesting Cockaroach Soup (misheard 'Chinese Stew'?).

Wow. Wouldn't have thought of that in a million years.

I think you just solved the Cockaroach Soup mystery.

Kudos.

PotatoSalad wrote:

I remember when Axl was posting online someone said Oh My God sounded like a demo and he responded that it was and it was only included on the End Of Days soundtrack because they begged him for it.  I call bullshit on that. 

Second to last track for me should be Prostitute.  I thought that was a good way to end Chinese Democracy,

I call bullshit too.

People forget that he actually promoted it a bit and went into detail about its origins and recording. He was proud of it.

He only walked it back when it went over like a lead balloon.

As far as album closer, out of the tracks that made the album, I always thought that TWAT outro deserved to close the album. It felt like a tribute of sorts to Slash as well.

Izzyjim wrote:
James wrote:

I don't need a million versions of the title track, TWAT, Maddy, and derivative versions of the other tracks.

This.
But how do you choose which version to add?

Good question and each person might come up with a completely different list.

IMO the versions on disc one suffice although I love that version of the title track from the CD disc with the simple yet killer Chinese voices intro a bit higher in the mix. I might include that.

To me, disc 1/2000 Intentions is the definitive album we should've got and all it's lacking is a final mix, mastering, and cellophane to wrap it in.

He was right. It was ready for the launch pad.  9

AtariLegend wrote:

I assumed the Chinese Stew thing was just part of numbers food gimmick. It wasn't titled Chinese Stew on the disc. Can't remember which version of the track that was leaked originally and on which disc it is, but it was not titled Chinese Stew.

He named several of the other tracks too... the joey lawrence thing.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

Early this morning I was listening to the Axl interview with Eddie Trunk in 2006 before the Hammerstein shows and he mentioned having two albums done and half of a third.  He also said that evening of the interview during rehearsal they were working on something for the third album.  All of this back in 2006! 

James, if you do put a Buckethead playlist together for the instrumentals please post it.  I've been on a Bucket binge for weeks.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Still think RTB was a good thing for the album.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

He named several of the other tracks too... the joey lawrence thing.

That was fucking stupid and I removed those tracks immediately. I wasn't going to have a phone in my possession that has Joey Lawrence and cum dumps on it. It's rare that anyone uses my phone but I wasn't taking any chances. tongue

Early this morning I was listening to the Axl interview with Eddie Trunk in 2006 before the Hammerstein shows and he mentioned having two albums done and half of a third.

Talk about a trip down memory lane. I haven't heard the Trunk interview since it aired.

I remember him sounding excited about "round 2' and it's really unfortunate how that 06-07 period played out.

He should've known not to attempt another comeback without an album.

We didn't realize how troubling that update really was even though it was technically positive.

He's working on a couple albums of material and Ron has just walked in the door and soon Frank will be entering the equation as well.

It meant that two extra members had to be squeezed into material that already can't breathe.

If you're on a Bucket binge, be sure to listen to the Praxis album Transmutation. It's a must have in any Bucket collection.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

In a perfect world...

2000 Intentions
Madagascar
If The World
Better
IRS
There Was A Time
The Blues
Hard School
Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps
Prostitute

Chinese Democracy
Zodiac
Sorry
Oh My God
State Of Grace
Quick Song
Shacklers
Circus Maximus
Eye On You
Oklahoma
Chinese
Riad
Soul Monster

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

I love Atlas but I don't need the extra versions... especially since they got it right the first time. 9

I want to agree because there are parts I like on that really early mix but I can't. That early mix on RM1 is too messy for me. Axl sounds like he's in an echo chamber and some of the extra instrumentation that isn't in later versions deserved to be cut imo. Sounds too distracting and tacked on in the early mix.

James

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

some of the extra instrumentation that isn't in later versions deserved to be cut imo. Sounds too distracting and tacked on in the early mix.

I think it just needs to be a tad lower in the mix and it would flow better.

Imagine how amazing this disc would be with a proper mix.  3

That's a pretty good tracklist Wagz  but I'm not fond of the idea to do it Zeppelin style and save the title track for the next album.

-----
Edit

Just realized you named the second disc CD.
-------

Remove OMG and Eye on You, keep Sorry with the original vibe, and replace those two with D Tune and you're looking at a killer record, probably better than the first.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

My tracklist for an 00 or 01 release is

1) Chinese Democracy
2) The Blues
3) If The World
4) Hard School
5) IRS
6) Prostitute
7) Madagascar
8) TWAT
9) Atlas Shrugged
10) Perhaps
11) Silkworms
12) Rhiad
13) Oh My God
14) Catcher In The Rye

Whole thing clocks in at about 1 hour 5 minutes. Take your pick on what mixes as long as they're known to be from 00 or 01. Would prefer to include a version of TWAT with the Bucket solo, but we don't know when that was tracked so can't fantasy book that on to my CD 00/01 tracklist. Think it all works as a solid rock record of it's time and probably has 3-4 useable singles on it; more if you wanted to milk the record dry. It's a crying shame this album never saw the light of day back then.

James

James wrote:

Speaking of fantasy booking, Sorry and Better  would've really strengthened the album but we don't know how early these two tracks got lyrics/vocals, especially Better since it has the Pyramid title. They had no idea what direction that was going to take.

I've been listening to the sessions while the 49ers blowout was on TV.

Once again, I'm really starting to wonder the true origins of some of these tracks.

Stinson:

"There's some stuff with lyrics, some without," he says. "We did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be on Chinese Democracy – the record was meant to be more than one disc, but after spending so much time on it we just had to put an end to it.

There's also stuff that was held over from the original lineup] before they all disbanded, so there's some stuff that should someday see the light of day."

It does make you wonder.... especially when listening to tracks like Oklahoma and Hard School. I'm not saying that the songs are definitely some variation of the 94-96 lineup (although possible) but that they planted the seeds that grew into finished tracks.

Oklahoma a major head scratcher. There's no patented Finckadelic sound to it. I know I've said it before but some of the playing on certain tracks is just too clean.

Some of the bass on these tracks makes me wonder if it's even Stinson...but that doesn't mean it's Duff. Could be Bucket, Scaturro, or even Pitman.

While we don't know which players in which songs and if we've even heard them yet, Stinson just flat out says they had older material in the vault.

If not doing anything with it, why even bother bringing it to the table?

Board footer