You are not logged in. Please register or login.

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

Re: 2000 Intentions

shutout52 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:

"I didn't write for years [after the Illusions]. [During the UYI tour, Slash, Duff and Stephanie Seymour] did damage to my ability as a writer. To those three it was all crap. It beat me down so much." (Axl, USA Today, 11/01/12)

What was all crap?

There's only one track Axl was known to be tinkering with during the UYI tour.

TIL.

Could he have been getting criticism from them over some of the things on UYI?  Or, how many songs might he have been working on at the time that they hated and he chose to just totally trash or have sat never completed?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Oklahoma was written in 1994. He wrote it about the bombing and how people in the courtroom during his divorce didn’t give a shit that it happened and were only focused on taking him down. There’s an Axl quote about it. It was certainly worked on by anybody in the lineup 94-01.

Indeed it was but that just begs a million dollar question....

What does he consider as "written"? The song clearly had no vocals at that point and there is no record of him laying down vocals for anything in 1994 except SFTD and Dead Flowers.  Are the roots of Oklahoma from one of these two sessions?

Was he inspired by those incidents in 94 to write lyrics, never went further, yet planned on laying down vocals for this specific instrumental that he liked but simply took years to do it?

Vale wrote:

Haven’t they at one point even said not knowing anything about TIL?

They're lying then as it was worked on during the UYI era.

So I doubt they have worked on Prostitute with Duff.

He was still there in 97. While he may not remember specific tracks, he was likely there for the origins of many of them.

Prostitute was already being talked about in 98. One of the first song titles we heard about

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Oklahoma was written in 1994. He wrote it about the bombing and how people in the courtroom during his divorce didn’t give a shit that it happened and were only focused on taking him down. There’s an Axl quote about it. It was certainly worked on by anybody in the lineup 94-01.

Yeah, I was just re-reading that Rolling Stone interview from Feb 2000.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … ks-238599/

Rolling Stone wrote:

In addition to the album’s almost grungy title track, tentative song titles include “Catcher in the Rye,” “I.R.S.,” “The Blues” and “TWAT,” which he says stands for “there was a time.” Another song, called “Oklahoma” – heard tonight only as an instrumental – was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. “I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,” Rose remembers with a wince. “We had a break, and I’m sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing – it was like, ‘Forgive me, people, I’m having trouble taking this seriously.’ It’s just ironic that we’re sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I’m sitting there with, she don’t care. Obliterating me is their goal.”

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
James wrote:
Vale wrote:

Maybe it was incomplete and nameless that they couldn’t place it?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Vale wrote:
James wrote:
Vale wrote:

Maybe it was incomplete and nameless that they couldn’t place it?

Now that I think about it, the original demo may have been similar to the original NR piano demo.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Declan94 wrote:

hi here is my 2000 intentions  1. Chinese Democracy 2. Atlas Shrugged 3. Catcher In The Rye 4. Riad N The Bedouins 5. The Blues 6. If The World 7. Hardschool 8. Madagascar 9. IRS 10. There Was A Time 11. Oh My God 12. Prostitute

wasted

wasted wrote:

Axl was saying just prior to the reunion that Slash, Duff, Seymour didn’t like his material (possibly TIL). That affected his confidence he said and slowed his roll. TIL was t even considered for CD until much later. I think Catcher was the next real Axl song to get worked on. I imagine Axl has stuff like As it Began there and Slash might not’ve felt the urge to work on them. This is why having worked up finished versions of Elvis that all the leg work is done, Slash can either re-record or add solos and parts. He doesn’t have to wait for vocals or the whole shape to emerge. Kind of wild speculation there but that’s a positive take.

atlashrugs
 Rep: -6 

atlashrugs wrote:

can somebody make the 2000 intentions songs into high quality sounding mp3s and pm a link?

Sky Dog wrote:

I’ll get right on that. roll

wasted

wasted wrote:
shutout52 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:

"I didn't write for years [after the Illusions]. [During the UYI tour, Slash, Duff and Stephanie Seymour] did damage to my ability as a writer. To those three it was all crap. It beat me down so much." (Axl, USA Today, 11/01/12)

What was all crap?

There's only one track Axl was known to be tinkering with during the UYI tour.

TIL.

Could he have been getting criticism from them over some of the things on UYI?  Or, how many songs might he have been working on at the time that they hated and he chose to just totally trash or have sat never completed?

We have to remember Slash and Duff we’re both forced to do NR and Estranged. Niven was also against Elton Rose. Axl was right though and prove so by UYI in time. Maybe I remember metal fans hating UYI and Axl for not delivering AFD 2. So that continued on an epic scale for CD. The line up changes but the industry stay the same.

Board footer