You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 2, Round 3

Declan94 wrote:
wasted wrote:

I think the salary is bigger than the writing credits? Royalties depend on sales. If Chi Dem is ever on a Chevrolet ad Freese will make a ton.

I think Axl said at some point that he wanted the album to have the spirit of those that toured it. That’s why Ron was on it. But actually Ron played rhythm guitar on every track.

The Costanzo digital edit version is very different to the 00s album. It has a much more electronic element and Ron brought a 00s prog rock feel to it. Frank kind of rocked out the drums on the 5 singles.

Overall though I’ve realized that it’s Axl’s lyrics and vocals that really are the song. Even on Nothing or Eye On You there’s a song there. You could do acoustic versions with Izzy and it would fly.

i think frank and ron re recording on it slowed the process for about a year and a half and 2006 was the perfect time for release it would have sold more and axl was doing interviews around that time anyway it would have been viewed as a better album by the public and we would have had cd 2 a few years later

Vote off your least favourite track

Eye on You 31%
If the World 13%
Mustache 44%
Quick Song 0%
Zodiac 13 0%
Tonto 13%
I'm Sorry 0%
Total votes: 16
wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
Declan94 wrote:
wasted wrote:

I think the salary is bigger than the writing credits? Royalties depend on sales. If Chi Dem is ever on a Chevrolet ad Freese will make a ton.

I think Axl said at some point that he wanted the album to have the spirit of those that toured it. That’s why Ron was on it. But actually Ron played rhythm guitar on every track.

The Costanzo digital edit version is very different to the 00s album. It has a much more electronic element and Ron brought a 00s prog rock feel to it. Frank kind of rocked out the drums on the 5 singles.

Overall though I’ve realized that it’s Axl’s lyrics and vocals that really are the song. Even on Nothing or Eye On You there’s a song there. You could do acoustic versions with Izzy and it would fly.

i think frank and ron re recording on it slowed the process for about a year and a half and 2006 was the perfect time for release it would have sold more and axl was doing interviews around that time anyway it would have been viewed as a better album by the public and we would have had cd 2 a few years later

That always seems to be the case, the early it was released the more it would sell and the less stick it would have got from some areas. However, I think certain songs like TIL and Sorry weren’t finished until 2006? but it was all finished by 2006, 2007- 8 was record company delay. It was really a problem after 2004. Bucket left.

It really goes back to lack of support. Even the 1999 album could have been put out in some form, and rec comp /Jimmy whoever could have had the vision to say Ok, this is the first record, now do one with RTB, then do the next one. But there was no support past 1 record it seems. Like Zutaut said in 1999 the recomp wanted to sell 20 million records, Jimmy put 10 mil up to re-record but by 2004 selling 20 mil still wasn’t happening.

The whole trilogy idea was much better to make the whole thing a success but I don’t think that was really what was wanted. It was too much of a struggle when you have Eminem killing it on the same label.

Still by 2006 it had become such a mythological thing and CD itself is pretty bulletproof. It’s like 10,000 piece jigsaw of sign posts that point to all these other eventualities. The fact that there’s still another CD worth of material to come kind of makes the whole project much more satisfying. The sales of the album don’t really reflect how important the record was.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The whole trilogy idea was much better to make the whole thing a success but I don’t think that was really what was wanted.

The concept of a trilogy was a bad idea top to bottom in hindsight. For various reasons...

His record deal with Geffen likely wouldn't allow it.

It wasn't promoted as such right out the gates.

New GNR wasn't taken seriously enough by anyone, including him, to warrant such elaborate visions.

No one in the inner or outer circle seemed clued in to such a possibility.

In that 99-00 period, a two album release ala UYI was floated temporarily until 2000 Intentions was dropped and they went "all in" on Chinese.

Then we hear nothing in this regard until 2002 when he mentions the possibility of a trilogy, which then gets dropped permanently with a few Baz comments over the years the exception.

In the post CD era(2009-15), it morphs into a double with mentions of "the second half of Chinese".

The only way a double or triple album concept could ever have worked is in the early years of the saga....2000-04. An album/tour/album/album cycle ala Audioslaves early-mid 2000s run.

Once various problems started piling up....album rejection...other label issues...touring issues.... lineup issues....the project hit a brick wall and none of it was happening.

It took an Azoff magic trick to get it out and then it was just delaying the inevitable (reunion) at that point.

The Village sessions give us a glimpse behind the curtain. It had a LOT of promise. They were cooking up a great feast. It just wasn't in the cards.

Still by 2006 it had become such a mythological thing

By 2006 it's no longer on pop culture's radar. Hardcores are hanging in by a thread. The album needed a release date before the Hammerstein shows.

. The fact that there’s still another CD worth of material to come kind of makes the whole project much more satisfying.

For us hardcores... absolutely.

It might even breathe new life into it. I'm actually glad we didn't get it during the Ashba/Ron years. It would've been ruined and you only need to hear those remixes or the updated Silkworms as proof of this.

AtariLegend wrote:

fyi I like Mustache.

It's eliminated, voting closed.

Board footer