You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: Covid 19

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

If only some of us had known eh? ?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Known what?  That most of the western world was “flattening the curve” to not overwhelm hospitals. If you believe the quarantine slowed infections in the western world, cool. But wasn’t the point to slow deaths, not stop them?  Is anyone making a claim that a nation stopped COVID deaths (however loosely they’re defined - in the US, gun shots count) through lockdown?

Sweden didn’t tank their economy, and didn’t hide in fear (nor continue to do so). Before you get so smug, you need the final death counts, which are years away.

I just enjoy the goal post being moved repeatedly. And masks. I really love the idiots walking around my office wearing a handkerchief tied around their face.

But the 80 year old average death of covid were all robbed 12 years of life. Apparently COVID only attacks the healthy, and not the dying.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Known what?  That most of the western world was “flattening the curve” to not overwhelm hospitals. If you believe the quarantine slowed infections in the western world, cool. But wasn’t the point to slow deaths, not stop them?  Is anyone making a claim that a nation stopped COVID deaths (however loosely they’re defined - in the US, gun shots count) through lockdown?

Sweden didn’t tank their economy, and didn’t hide in fear (nor continue to do so). Before you get so smug, you need the final death counts, which are years away.

I just enjoy the goal post being moved repeatedly. And masks. I really love the idiots walking around my office wearing a handkerchief tied around their face.

But the 80 year old average death of covid were all robbed 12 years of life. Apparently COVID only attacks the healthy, and not the dying.

You see Randall not all countries are equipped as well as America and Sweden medically. Like Ireland for instance. Flattening the curve here is saving lives simply by allowing everyone needing medical attention gets the attention they need. If we didn't flatten the curve our health system would not have coped and people even if slim in number who would have survived with the correct medical care having access to ventilators etc would have had to go without because of sheer numbers. So yes isolation has saved many lives, I mean it ain't rocket science.

Btw is buzz a good kisser? XD

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

As for moving goalposts. Two weeks ago Sweden was the great hope. Gtfo lol.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

America....#1...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Swedish economy seen shrinking 4% in 2020 as pandemic hits
2 MIN READ

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s economy is seen shrinking 4% this year the coronavirus outbreak hits supply and demand, a plunge rivaling that experienced during the global financial crisis more than a decade ago, Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson said on Tuesday.

The government has introduced a raft of measures, including subsidies for shorter working hours, tax rebates, loan guarantees and easier rules for claiming benefits, to soften the blow from the virus outbreak. Still, Andersson warned there were tough times ahead.

“We see growth falling and unemployment rising in a way we have not seen since the financial crisis,” she told reporters.

“This economic crisis is going to affect us all.”

The downturn this year is expected to be nearly as deep as during the global financial crisis in 2009 when Sweden’s economy shrank 4.2%, the biggest decline in more than 50 years.

Andersson, however, held out hope for a quicker rebound, forecasting growth of 3.5% percent in 2021. “We see a recovery in the economy in the second half of this year,” she said, adding that developments were very uncertain.

Businesses from restaurants to manufacturers like truck-maker Volvo (VOLVb.ST) have shut down and temporarily sent staff home as a result of the effects of the coronavirus, and many are expected to be laid off permanently.

A record 36,800 people were handed their notice in March, more than 10 times the number from the same month last year.

The government has offered loans and guarantees and expects to increase expenditure by around 84 billion Swedish crowns ($8.35 billion) this year.

At the same time, the central bank has poured money into the financial system, offering 500 billion Swedish crowns in loans to companies via banks and boosting its purchases of securities by 300 billion crowns.

Banking group Swedbank said recently it expected the economy to contract 4% this year. SEB’s forecast was for a 2.7% contraction.

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

2 MIN READ

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s economy is seen shrinking 4% this year the coronavirus outbreak hits supply and demand, a plunge rivaling that experienced during the global financial crisis more than a decade ago, Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson said on Tuesday.

The government has introduced a raft of measures, including subsidies for shorter working hours, tax rebates, loan guarantees and easier rules for claiming benefits, to soften the blow from the virus outbreak. Still, Andersson warned there were tough times ahead.

“We see growth falling and unemployment rising in a way we have not seen since the financial crisis,” she told reporters.

The downturn this year is expected to be nearly as deep as during the global financial crisis in 2009 when Sweden’s economy shrank 4.2%, the biggest decline in more than 50 years.

Andersson, however, held out hope for a quicker rebound, forecasting growth of 3.5% percent in 2021. “We see a recovery in the economy in the second half of this year,” she said, adding that developments were very uncertain.

Businesses from restaurants to manufacturers like truck-maker Volvo (VOLVb.ST) have shut down and temporarily sent staff home as a result of the effects of the coronavirus, and many are expected to be laid off permanently.

A record 36,800 people were handed their notice in March, more than 10 times the number from the same month last year.

The government has offered loans and guarantees and expects to increase expenditure by around 84 billion Swedish crowns ($8.35 billion) this year.

At the same time, the central bank has poured money into the financial system, offering 500 billion Swedish crowns in loans to companies via banks and boosting its purchases of securities by 300 billion crowns.

Banking group Swedbank said recently it expected the economy to contract 4% this year. SEB’s forecast was for a 2.7% contraction.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-econ … rus-2020-5

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/us-gdp- … ading.html

You were saying?

Randall Flagg

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

You see Randall not all countries are equipped as well as America and Sweden medically. Like Ireland for instance. Flattening the curve here is saving lives simply by allowing everyone needing medical attention gets the attention they need. If we didn't flatten the curve our health system would not have coped and people even if slim in number who would have survived with the correct medical care having access to ventilators etc would have had to go without because of sheer numbers. So yes isolation has saved many lives, I mean it ain't rocket science.

Btw is buzz a good kisser? XD

Fascinating.  And here I was under the impression that ventilators were essentially useless to the majority who utilized them.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020041 … patients#1

Can you cite an article saying any substantial portion of COVID deaths in Ireland were due to a lack of medical equipment?  I know in the US, not a single claim has been made and substantiated for that. Cuomo certainly feels that way.  Yes, I understand the argument that flattening the curve prevented hospitals from being overloaded - I said that above.  But no one has made the claim that overall death count was decreased through social distancing.  Sweden's death toll is marginally higher at this point than other nations who implemented mass lockdown, but their economy isn't harmed nearly as bad as other western nations.  Again, lack of medical care isn't a contributor to this.

Short of a miracle drug and a vaccine that is widely taken (half of you don't get a flu shot, so it stands to reason a lot of you will avoid a hypothetical COVID vaccine as well), there is no medical care other than pain management that can administered.  Spain has 49 million people or 1/7th the population of the US.  They just crossed 27k deaths.  Meanwhile the US just hit 100k, and the resident idiot of the forum thinks posting raw numbers that place the largest country in the world being remotely honest in its count at forefront is somehow evidence of mismanagement.  Again, simple math can be used to show based on population who is doing a good job versus who isn't.  But doing that math would negate the attacks on how our President is handling it, so they pretend (or maybe not) they didn't complete math beyond the 4th grade.

Here is Germany saying their economy will shrink by 6.3%, which is worse than the figure ID quoted (ID, you're so much better than this man.  I can see the racist posting this crap, but you're smart enough to compare the figures from other countries before posting an article that negates your entire point), and worse than the US's 4.8%.  https://www.dw.com/en/germany-faces-hug … a-53286176

So you have no idea how many people will die in western nation that have slowed transmission, compared to Sweden which didn't.  To claim otherwise is to just be dishonest. 

I'll ignore the homophobic suggestion that because Buzz and I agree on some areas, we must be secret homosexual lovers.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

As for moving goalposts. Two weeks ago Sweden was the great hope. Gtfo lol.

Yeah, funny it was being used as 'The Way' by so many last month, now, crickets. (Not just here, I saw posts on FB about how 'they did things right'....  until now)

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

2 MIN READ

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-econ … rus-2020-5

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/us-gdp- … ading.html

You were saying?

What are you saying? Are you comparing our economies? Because that's about as disingenuous as it gets as we are NOWHERE near the same in any category, and you know it. Second, this approach was supposed to avoid this very thing. It didnt. I can't imagine what it would be like had we not done it.

Nice try not addressing the actual subject.

Board footer