You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Matt Sorum's book leaks online.

otto wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
otto wrote:

Some things that caught my eye while reading:
Matt confirms Axl had two bands going on in the late 90's. One was GnR as we know it (by the time, Axl, Duff, Matt, Paul and Slash that was gone for Snakepit tour) and one composed of  "Dizzy and some of his friends" with Axl overseeing.

He states he teaches Axl in 97 what was a loop and most shockingly what was a bar in music theory. Really hard to believe considering Axl knew how to play the piano and wrote all November Rain's orchestrations.

On a side note, CD project started in 98 and took 10 years to see the light of day. We're already 12 years past its release.... Damn, time flies.

Didn't Axl have piano lessons when he was a kid? I'm pretty sure he'd know what a bar was by 1993, he'd been a professional musician for years at that point. Loops, yeah, I can believe he wouldn't be familiar with them 'cos that's more of a production thing.

Exactly... Looping and protools I totally believe Matt could have taught Axl. But music theory is a stretch.

AtariLegend wrote:

Matt buries Weiland in the book, but claimed a few years back that they made up before his death. There's nothing in the book about it

Also the times Axl ran into Matt post 90s, not mentioned.

Oh and as an update on the book itself, he said on twitter it'd be out next year recently. Various sections of the music press claimed it was delayed a few months before the leak anyway.

So perhaps, instead of this being blocked... it was decided that there should be re-writes and it be fleshed out a bit more? Just a possiblity.

If he was invested in the project, it would be a good idea to look at the feedback from the leak and see what's missing.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Have read most of it and I have to say, this is the lowest grade  GNR related book of any kind to date. And I've read 'em all.

While there are some interesting insights, tidbits and alternate perspectives it's largely coloured by a real sense of insincerity,  insecurity, boastfulness and outright boorishness. I am definitely no prude, but the way he talks about groupies and women in general is toe-curlingly cringeworthy. I can't begin to imagine what his wife makes of some of the excerpts.

As to why he is not on the NITL tour - if you read this book, I think it will become abundantly clear why. If I had not read this book I would still probably consider he was the best option for the reunion but its very obvious now that his general douchery is the main reason and he has no one to blame but himself.

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

So no one has a link to the book? very odd...  Hmm?

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
Link31 wrote:

So no one has a link to the book? very odd...  Hmm?

maybe they all expired, I haven't found one yet either

no links, no simple solution. sorry not my opinion, it's the mods who edited my post opinion

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If you're not a GnR fan, there's really no point in reading the book.  He's done so much and worked with so many that he could have made it more appealing to more groups of people

Good point. He played a critical role in getting Poe's career off the ground with her debut album. I doubt he even mentions it.

Matt confirms Axl had two bands going on in the late 90's. One was GnR as we know it (by the time, Axl, Duff, Matt, Paul and Slash that was gone for Snakepit tour) and one composed of  "Dizzy and some of his friends" with Axl overseeing

While we already knew it.... that's confirmation of the shadow lineups.

Couso
 Rep: 1 

Couso wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Have read most of it and I have to say, this is the lowest grade  GNR related book of any kind to date. And I've read 'em all.

While there are some interesting insights, tidbits and alternate perspectives it's largely coloured by a real sense of insincerity,  insecurity, boastfulness and outright boorishness. I am definitely no prude, but the way he talks about groupies and women in general is toe-curlingly cringeworthy. I can't begin to imagine what his wife makes of some of the excerpts.

As to why he is not on the NITL tour - if you read this book, I think it will become abundantly clear why. If I had not read this book I would still probably consider he was the best option for the reunion but its very obvious now that his general douchery is the main reason and he has no one to blame but himself.

Agree with every word of this
The book is poorly written and doesn’t give insight to much

You could summarise it in a short paragraph
Matt would like you to know he shagged lots of women
Oh yeah and only he can play the drums
He’s the bestest drummer and shagged there is
It reads like a 15 year olds poorly written wank fantasy of what being in a rock band might be
Total toilet

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

thank you!!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Going over the reunion bits again..... yikes.

They (Axl, Slash, and Duff) were essentially willing to bring everyone aboard for appearances but that's it. You get no financial benefit from it. A thankless invitation that would just provide small doses of extra buzz throughout the tour.

It really points out the real motivation for the reunion. It was about the "big 3" getting their retirement money.... anything else just a bonus or simply inconsequential.

fuck Izzy...

I mean....I get it. He bailed in 91. He doesn't get to reap the rewards.

Having said that....Slash bailed four years later.

There's only ONE difference between the two....

One of them is required to market this as a reunion...the other isn't.

Instead of saying "fuck Izzy", Duff should thank his lucky stars that he is also required for a reunion and didn't slip into the status of other ex members. It could've happened so easily.

I bet Gilby got the same offer as Adler, Izzy, and Sorum.

Adler the only one willing to take it....and even with his brain fried from drugs, was able to see it for what it is.

With the touring industry potentially in its death throes and Live Nation making a bunch of changes, we may have seen the last of GNR.

Board footer