You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

trump spent $4 trillion.  In one year!

Biden will try to spend way more than that. He told you that yesterday!

How so?

The most ever spent before was $1.5 Trillion to recover from the 2008 Too Big To Fail collapse.

He literally said interest rates are low and now is the time to spend to give a show in the arm to the country. Please try to keep up with your dear leader on what he says and plans to do.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

One thought I have worrying me about it is the precedent this situation sets.

Like we have the president of the united states, the "leader of the free world" some would say, censored and forbidden to speak because the technology companies consider that he is wrong.

They say it's to prevent violence - but he didn't directly call for violence - so it's really that his viewpoint shared by much of his audience, is capable of inciting violence in some of those people even without any actual call to violence.

To me that's kinda worrying. That a technology company gets to make it's own judgement on what is or isn't true, and what may or may not cause people to become dangerous, and that it can assert that choice effectively blocking the ability of elected officials such as the president of the USA to communicate.

To me that's a conundrum of it's own. Like even for people who don't like trump. In this instance it suits them. Might even really be safer in this instance what with the mob the other day.

But do we really want to have a society where guys like zuckerberg decide if they think a head of states message is too dangerous for us to hear or not? Like the politics of this instance aside. That doesn't seem like the world we grew up in.

Yes, that's worried me, too. In an age where "words are violence" who gets to make those decisions? That is fascism. When you control speech and how it's disseminated, what else is it? You have media companies for years trying to get rid of FOX. All because of divergent opinions. Tech companies need regulation.

Btw, Iran and China are still allowed on Twitter.

See what happens when you placate for the liberal mob and start banning folks. One day it won’t be liberals in power of the big tech. You think you are safe, if you go against what big tech wants they will ban you too. So much wokeness, virtue signaling, and fear mongering in this thread. Lol. It is sad they can’t see the greater impact.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Honest question from an Australian....

I remember last year there was a protest in washington, I think it was probably BLM after the george floyd murder,  that threatened whitehouse security to an extent where they put Trump in a bunker for his own safety.

In that instance democrat leaders encouraged a BLM protest, but did not endorse any violence or anything.

Isn't it similar here?

Like Trump and Republican leaders have encouraged people who doubt the legitimacy of the election to protest. I didn't see them actually call for violence however.

Like Trump said they would walk to the capitol - he didn't say take the building or invade the building did he?

He knew exactly what he was doing when doing that rally and posting on twitter. He had a fantasy of being a Teddy Roosevelt, Andrew Jackson, or Hitler figure  marching with the plebes to kick ass and bury his opponents. No coincidence that he's compared himself to the first two in the past.

Unfortunately for him, he can never be a Jackson or Teddy because those two, love them or hate them, were real men. Trump is the biggest coward to ever hold the office.

After saying he would march, he abandons his hardcores and rushes to the white house to watch it on TV. Several advisers have come out and said he was excited about what was happening.

As they're about to storm the Capitol, the biggest coward in history tells his followers that his VP is a coward for not helping overturn the election. Minutes later, chants of "hang Pence" are heard in the building.

Unfortunately for Trump, the people doing this shit had no leader once getting inside. They were like chickens with their heads cut off.

This uncertainty saved lives.

The only way you can compare this to a BLM riot is if Dems encouraged them to storm the white house and they're walking the halls looking for Trump and his goon squad.

Don't fall for the whataboutism. It's an attempt to deflect, distract, and absolve Trump of his responsibility for this chaos.

You have a brain.... don't ever stop using it.

While his base is currently fracturing, I'm amazed he has any followers left at all after this. The tough guy persona his base believes in has been obliterated. Calling him a peacock would be an insult to peacocks.

He'll retain a portion of his base after the 20th. He's going to lose them in the coming months when more stories start coming out highlighting even more examples of cowardice and incompetence.

Trumpism is in critical condition. The few here following him better enjoy it while it lasts.

Did you even listen to his speech. A lot of fake news in this thread.

You know I love ya but don't start that fake news stuff here. No one is posting fake news....just facts you don't agree with.

You're right....Biden is going to spend trillions. So did Trump.

If one guy can do it, so can the other guy.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I remember last year there was a protest in washington, I think it was probably BLM after the george floyd murder,  that threatened whitehouse security to an extent where they put Trump in a bunker for his own safety.

In that instance democrat leaders encouraged a BLM protest, but did not endorse any violence or anything.

Isn't it similar here?

Like Trump and Republican leaders have encouraged people who doubt the legitimacy of the election to protest. I didn't see them actually call for violence however.

Like Trump said they would walk to the capitol - he didn't say take the building or invade the building did he?

He knew exactly what he was doing when doing that rally and posting on twitter. He had a fantasy of being a Teddy Roosevelt, Andrew Jackson, or Hitler figure  marching with the plebes to kick ass and bury his opponents. No coincidence that he's compared himself to the first two in the past.

Unfortunately for him, he can never be a Jackson or Teddy because those two, love them or hate them, were real men. Trump is the biggest coward to ever hold the office.

After saying he would march, he abandons his hardcores and rushes to the white house to watch it on TV. Several advisers have come out and said he was excited about what was happening.

As they're about to storm the Capitol, the biggest coward in history tells his followers that his VP is a coward for not helping overturn the election. Minutes later, chants of "hang Pence" are heard in the building.

Unfortunately for Trump, the people doing this shit had no leader once getting inside. They were like chickens with their heads cut off.

The only way you can compare this to a BLM riot is if Dems encouraged them to storm the white house and they're walking the halls looking for Trump and his goon squad.

Don't fall for the whataboutism. It's an attempt to deflect, distract, and absolve Trump of his responsibility for this chaos.

While his base is currently fracturing, I'm amazed he has any followers left at all after this. The tough guy persona his base believes in has been obliterated. Calling him a peacock would be an insult to peacocks.

He'll retain a portion of his base after the 20th. He's going to lose them in the coming months when more stories start coming out highlighting even more examples of cowardice and incompetence.

Trumpism is in critical condition. The few here following him better enjoy it while it lasts.

You know I love ya but don't start that fake news stuff here. No one is posting fake news....just facts you don't agree with.

Wasn’t it your congresswoman from Cali that told Dems if they see the opposition at a gas station form a crowd or a restaurant form a crowd and let them know they aren’t welcome here? Yes, that was Maxine Waters, save your virtue shit for somewhere else. Everyone has blood on their hands. The rioters first and foremost, then Trump, then the Dems, then the media which loves the hate and division.

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Isn't it similar here?

Wasn’t it your congresswoman from Cali that told Dems if they see the opposition at a gas station form a crowd or a restaurant form a crowd and let them know they aren’t welcome here? Yes, that was Maxine Waters, save your virtue shit for somewhere else. Everyone has blood on their hands. The rioters first and foremost, then Trump, then the Dems, then the media which loves the hate and division.

My congressman is technically Josh Harder. I don't live near Maxine Waters so never had the privilege of voting against her...same with Pelosi.

I've spent nearly 30 years voting against Feinstein, Boxer, and then Kamala.

Your attempt to now paint me as some virtue signalling ultra liberal because I dared question the integrity of your God emperor is laughable.

Using that example from Maxine to compare it to Trump is also laughable. The red team needs to whip up some better examples for their base.

I've probably shit on Maxine here more than you have. She's deplorable.... always will be....but that has NOTHING to do with Trump or what's currently happening....so save your virtue shit for somewhere else.....

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:

My congressman is technically Josh Harder. I don't live near Maxine Waters so never had the privilege of voting against her...same with Pelosi.

Your attempt to now paint me as some virtue signalling ultra liberal because I dared question the integrity of your God emperor is laughable.

Using that example from Maxine to compare it to Trump is also laughable. The red team needs to whip up some better examples for their base.

I've probably shit on Maxine here more than you have. She's deplorable.... always will be....but that has NOTHING to do with Trump or what's currently happening....so save your virtue shit for somewhere else.....

Fair enough, giving you a hard time. But that is actually inciting a riot when compared to what trump did. Of course it is possible both are pieces of shit.

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fair enough, giving you a hard time. But that is actually inciting a riot when compared to what trump did. Of course it is possible both are pieces of shit.

They definitely both are. I don't see how even a single person could vote for Maxine. She might even be more out of touch than Trump.

Claims to represent all the poor minorities in her district yet doesn't live in her district.

SG.... don't let the national republican talking points about California make you look down on it. There's more Republicans in this state than any other. I think Texas is the only one that comes close.

While Dems do win in my district sometimes, the central valley is almost as red as Alabama. This is dairy and meth country. The bay area and down south is where the liberal base is.

Don't forget...this used to be a red state. I say it every presidential election cycle....the Republicans are idiots for abandoning this state. It would be within reach if they'd make the effort.

In 2016 it was in play and they didn't even realize it. Immigration was a huge issue here.

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Censorship will only cause more extreme psychos that you can’t monitor. Shutting down speech to prop up one party over another is never good.

These protesters were more busy taking selfies than trying to harm anyone. I do support anything about what happened but for fucks sake they were let in and nobody had any guns.

Days before the rally the Mayor and Capitol Police refused 7,000 national guardsmen.

Biden already making the Capitol storming about race and some hypothetical about what if it was black people lol.

BLM protestors would have burned that fucker down but the Capitol building isn’t in Minneapolis, Kenosha, Portland, or Seattle.

This is not on 911 or Pearl Harbor like many Dem idiots on TV are saying. It was ugly, stupid and embarrassing... Arrest those that destroyed property or harmed any police or bystanders.

Don’t be weak and look at the whole story.

Only reason it isn't 9/11 is because they had no cohesive plan once getting in.

Censorship will only cause more extreme psychos that you can’t monitor. Shutting down speech to prop up one party over another is never good

The censoring of Alex Jones removed much of his influence. Yeah he's still around but with a much quieter voice.

I'm not falling into the red/blue whataboutism trap that's nothing but distraction.

They crossed the line and they have to pay for those actions. Period.  Top to bottom.

Frankenstein's monster was created and it's even turned on politicians who enabled it. They are a serious threat.

Go ask Graham how he feels about these people now. Or Pence.

Fake news on Graham, he was with Trump most of the day and said for Biden to call Pelosi, Shumer, and the squad and not to pour gas on the fire and just let the clock run out.

I somehow missed this reply.

No it isn't "fake news" unless fake news means clearly established fact.

Again...go ask Graham how he feels about these people.

He already loathed the base before this shit happened.

You think he's happy about Trumpers after this?

My favorite quote from Graham in 2016...

If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed ... and we will deserve it. ..

He knew. They were just willing to pretend to like him and indulge his base so they could pass the trillion dollar tax cuts and push through the supreme court justices. Keep the plebes fighting over "fake news" while they ram their agenda through.

The entire base was conned and played like a fiddle. Now the whole thing is coming in for a crash landing and the smart politicians like Mcconnell, Graham, etc are bracing for impact while the others piss and moan.

The same base that is chasing and cussing at Graham and standing outside McConnell's house will once again vote for them in six years anyways. It's why they always have shit eating grins on their faces. They know that 90% of their base is dumber than dogshit....and they're right.

The party of subsidies, corporate welfare, and corporate bailouts has a base that demonizes its opposition for "socialism".

The party of the second amendment literally worships the only president who ever said "Take the guns now, worry about due process later."

The party of "fiscal conservatism" has record high spending/deficits and only pretends to care about the deficit when they're a minority in Congress.

No whataboutism changes anything. The rats are fleeing the sinking ship and there's temper tantrums galore...but they'll all fall in line in 2 to 4 years.

What else are they going to do....vote for one of them evil socialists?!?

James

James wrote:

Derrick Evans, facing federal charges for entering the U.S. Capitol with a mob, has resigned from West Virginia’s House of Delegates.

It's a start.

It's time to go after the two big enchiladas ( Cruz and Hawley).

Newsweek poll says only 5% call those who stormed the Capitol "patriots".

The chances of turning this into a red/blue whataboutism fight amongst the plebes is vanishing.

They tried though...bless their hearts.

It's not working.

James

James wrote:

President Donald Trump considered using the National Guard to protect the crowd of his supporters who went on to ransack the US Capitol, according to The New York Times.

Citing his advisers, the Times said that Trump considered making the National Guard available to protect his supporters from counterprotesters.

The outlet said the idea, which he ultimately did not see through, came before Wednesday's events unfolded.

What began as a rally for supporters near the White House evolved into an invasion of the US Capitol, repudiated worldwide, which sparked a new crisis in the last days of Trump's presidency.

Trump urged the crowd to "fight much harder" and "show strength" before sending them to the building, where lawmakers were certifying that he lost the 2020 presidential election to President-elect Joe Biden.

Trump falsely characterized that process as a fraud on the American people, which could be overturned that day.

(In reality, dozens of attempts to challenge the election results in court have failed, and his claim that Vice President Mike Pence could alter the outcome of the election is false.)

As they headed to the Capitol, Trump's supporters were not impeded by counterprotesters and easily overwhelmed efforts by Capitol Police to keep them back.

They ransacked the building, stole documents and equipment, and derailed the session of Congress. Five people died in the violence.

capitol siege
A scene from inside the Capitol during the attack. John Minchillo/AP
As the riot continued, there were calls to deploy the National Guard to stop the Trump supporters. Per the Times and other outlets, Trump resisted doing so.

According to CNN, it was Vice President Mike Pence who facilitated the National Guard being sent out.

The troops and police secured the Capitol, around three-and-a-half hours after it was breached, and Congress finished certifying Biden's victory.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-m … reddit.com

Board footer