You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Current Events Thread

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Don't fall for the whataboutism. It's an attempt to deflect, distract, and absolve Trump of his responsibility for this chaos.

You have a brain.... don't ever stop using it.

My concern is that I think both the left and the right have moderate factions and then also nut job factions.

On the right wing there's a lot of normal people - business owners who want tax breaks, or people in older industries who feel that globalisation has not worked out well for them or who are otherwise attracted to moderate republican policies. And then there's also the paramilitary nazi crazies.

On the left wing there's a lot of normal people too - there's people who are concerned about the environment for their kids future, there's people who work 2 or 3 jobs to get by and they still can't get a break, there's people who just want improved heathcare, there's people who were shocked at some of the police incidents last year. And then there's the violent marxist radicals.

One of the things the social media stuff is doing is making everything more extreme....but there's a lot of people who are not full blown marxist revolutionaries but would like to protest for civil change peacefully, and there's a lot of people who are not nazis but who have concerns about the election outcomes or the freedoms being altered around the virus and so on.

So both sides have normal people, and both have violent anti-social types.

The issue becomes - if you are going to deplatform someone who hasn't actually called for violence because their policies incite the unstable elements of their base, then all kinds of future censorship becomes necessary on both sides.

I'm not trying to absolve trump of anything or engage in whataboutism or play sides or anything. I'm just saying in this instance it was repugnant actions from the far right, but I have zero trouble believing an alternate scenario in the future will see just as repugnant behaviour from the far left.

If people directly call for violence and incite stuff then they need to be stopped. But what do when someone encourages a peaceful protest and it goes bad? This sets a really worrying example to me. Like do we end all violent tv shows when someone with mental illness reenacts them?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Not only are they trying to deplatform Trump, CNN is trying to get FOX taken off the air, Google is threatening to take down Parler, Twitter's competitor. Anything the left doesn't like, any descent in left talking points, must be eliminated and silenced. That is wrong, and saying so isn't absolving Trump of anything. You don't have to Like or agree with any of these entities, but you shouldn't support their eradication. censorship always comes back around on you. Like DC statehood, it's just a political power grab heading towards one party rule.

And it's not whataboutism to point out hypocrisy and the danger of censorship.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Facebook is a “private” company I guess, but owned by millions of people and other businesses and a publicly traded company... It could in theory be taken over by a hostile take over and owned by a different group of individuals that then enforce a different set of rules. Don’t know where I am going with this except it isn’t like the corner bakery in your town that is owned by an individual. 

Facebook is a monopoly type social media company that for the most part answers to no one. That luxury may not last forever. You may agree with their recent banning but please don’t confuse them for having some kind of a moral high ground as they sell your life away to the highest bidder. They are a very dangerous company that can shape the reality that we see. They are far more dangerous than most politicians. We all play along with it because it is fun, but nothing in life is free, not even pics of our dogs or family on social media. It all comes at a cost.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Monkey and Mr. ID are correct here. Thanks guys for being objective.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Don't go liking me too much, I think he should be impeached lol

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
misterID wrote:

Is that because of what happened with the capitol building or something else?

Not a loaded question BTW, just curious.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Parler is already censoring posts because those reasonable folks are calling for Pence to face a firing squad. There is no corner of society that accepts this—and it should be censored, and Supreme Court precedent supports such action.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/09/politics … index.html

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James wrote:

We're living in crazy times.

The 2020s may be like the 1960s...but worse.

I have a feeling 5-10 years from now this quote will become quite prophetic.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you can incite violence. It doesn’t mean you can intentionally lie to manipulate people.

So many people so concerned about their rights but not concerned about responsibilities.

The very notion that a social media platform was created to cater to whack jobs and conspiracy theorists is crazy enough.

misterID

misterID wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
misterID wrote:

Is that because of what happened with the capitol building or something else?

Not a loaded question BTW, just curious.

That and his behavior regarding getting the election overturned. I think he crossed the line contacting state officials.

Board footer