You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Current Events Thread

PaSnow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

My non-partisan grades from tonights debate:

Biden:  B+
trump:  F

PaSnow wrote:

Oops did I publish that post early 14

Funny, I think I was pretty spot on.  Biden was ok, a bit subpar but better than it could've gone, he had too many senior moments & slipups. Trump tho was a complete Flunk, and really it took away from Bidens subpar night, stealing all the thunder. It's crazy, if trump acted moderately sane, he probably would've had a strong night, instead it was the worst performance of all time, and may have even hurt him a bit in the polls losing some support over that  awfulness.

Again, Biden was not nearly great, probably shouldn't be a nominee, but no ones gonna talk about that.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

PaSnow wrote:

Funny, I think I was pretty spot on.  Biden was ok, a bit subpar but better than it could've gone, he had too many senior moments & slipups. Trump tho was a complete Flunk, and really it took away from Bidens subpar night, stealing all the thunder. It's crazy, if trump acted moderately sane, he probably would've had a strong night, instead it was the worst performance of all time, and may have even hurt him a bit in the polls losing some support over that  awfulness.

Again, Biden was not nearly great, probably shouldn't be a nominee, but no ones gonna talk about that.

This is a good assessment. Just like the coronavirus, this debate was actually a gift for Trump. He acts like an actual human being, and he wins. Biden was not great. He didn't help himself significantly. He didn't do anything to hurt his campaign significantly. But he didn't have to. Trump blew himself up. Campaign self-immolation. Look anywhere you want online, even here: This was the worst debate probably of all time. And it is 100% on Trump. Now we know why he didn't spend time in debate prep, except for this weekend with Chris Christie. His plan all along was to attack, not actually answer questions, and treat this like a rally. Even Christie says Trump was "too hot."

The next debate is a town hall-style event. If he acts like this again, it'll be shocking. Is he going to treat regular voters like he did Biden? Talk over them, ignore the question, tell them they are wrong? I don't know much about the guy from CSPAN who is moderating, but I assume he'll look at this debate and go all out to avoid another catastrophe. A town hall event really doesn't give Trump much room to go after Biden one-on-one, but he'll try. And it'll look bad.

I'm with Flagg. I was anxious the whole debate. It was a terrible viewing experience. Like watching your parents argue. Everyone was worse off because of it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

PaSnow wrote:

All Trump had to do was shut up.

If I were Biden I'd cancel the rest of the debates. What's the point?

misterID

misterID wrote:

The winner last night was Mitch McConnell. He only had to get through the Trump presidency and filled the judiciary with conservatives, and no one will trust Biden and Dems to have full control of the Senate, Congress and presidency.

Biden still refuses to say if he'd pack the court or get rid of the filibuster.
It still gets me people call Trump a threat to democracy while progressives (not liberals) are actively advocating to do away with democracy for a perpetual one party rule. They bitch about small red states having the same power as California (guess they're not getting that whole "United States" part of the United States) yet they want to give D.C. Statehood, which was specifically created NOT to be a state, while having a population smaller than a major city..... Hmmm, I wonder why.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I dunno, I can see the Senate staying at 2 per state, but you gotta admit its dumb. South Dakota & Wyoming with half million or whatever are equal to the 40 million people in California or 30 million of Texas?  And you can say the same for Vermont Rhode Island etc.

The Electoral College needs reallocation. Wyoming gets 3 votes, so 1 vote represent 200,000.  California gets 55 votes, or 1 per 750,000.  If you don't see an imbalance it's there anyway.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

The winner last night was Mitch McConnell. He only had to get through the Trump presidency and filled the judiciary with conservatives, and no one will trust Biden and Dems to have full control of the Senate, Congress and presidency.

Biden still refuses to say if he'd pack the court or get rid of the filibuster.
It still gets me people call Trump a threat to democracy while progressives (not liberals) are actively advocating to do away with democracy for a perpetual one party rule. They bitch about small red states having the same power as California (guess they're not getting that whole "United States" part of the United States) yet they want to give D.C. Statehood, which was specifically created NOT to be a state, while having a population smaller than a major city..... Hmmm, I wonder why.

I am thoroughly confused by the statement. If you’re OK with 1/3 of the United States population having the majority in the Senate then I don’t see how you can be so concerned about all of this.

misterID

misterID wrote:

We're a republic, no?

That's why we have a congress.

All states are equal, and is why they operate as their own mini country within established parameters.

misterID

misterID wrote:

What progressives are proposing is exactly why we're set up the way we are, it's to prevent a one party rule where one state runs the country.

misterID

misterID wrote:

They were anticipating at least 100 million viewers for the debate last night. It was 29 million. That was only half of the number of viewers in '16. One post debate poll showed a good portion of undecided voters have chosen not to vote at all. People really don't like either candidate.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I can agree with that. I will say trumps bordering on losing some of his fringe/distant voters, those who aren't quite lock step with him, maybe passively into the GOP or business owners who's business are struggling mightly thru covid. It's hard to picture him as the guy who's gonna fix this. Knowing what he knows know, Biden should've appealed to them, the $100k & up.  Last night however had to be unexpected.

Board footer