You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Current Events Thread

polluxlm wrote:

Non compliance is the only thing that will stop this madness. Germany and Austria are going to be the Waterloo of this thing in just a few months, maybe sooner. If the bad guys manage to bank that it's over for the rest of us. I can see them pushing very hard if they get over the German huddle. Armed troops going door to door for sure.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Armed troops going door to door?

I don't mean this rudely but what on earth are you guys talking about?

There's a pandemic, the government invested billions in vaccines and treatments to keep society rolling on enough that we don't crash the health system into collapse, the corporations made a buck doing that, the rich stay rich, small guys like us get less sick than we would have. A handful of people have adverse outcomes but less people than would have got sick with no treatments.

Why make it into anything more than that?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I’m certainly not equating this with soldiers marching the street. Just acknowledging the great abuse of power and infringement on personal liberties the western governments of the world eagerly matched China enacting. And how eager and voracious half of our people embraced it.

In the US at least, the experts on epidemiology supported and commended riots and protests in the aftermath of George Floyd, but condemned those protesting the loss of their business. When medical experts support violent revolutionaries burning down court houses and police stations, but condemn those protesting for personal Liberty, they’re not to be trusted.

Allowing world leaders to halt our freedom of travel and right to pursue happiness under the guise of safety is terrifying. Especially when they’ve proven themselves incredibly inept at accomplishing their stated goals. You’re free to wear a piece of cloth over your mouth to feel safe and avoid all human contact. But when you demand others obey or face ruin, especially when the elite are repeatedly caught flaunting their own rules, you’re not on the side of enlightened or liberal thinking.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Armed troops going door to door?

I don't mean this rudely but what on earth are you guys talking about?

There's a pandemic, the government invested billions in vaccines and treatments to keep society rolling on enough that we don't crash the health system into collapse, the corporations made a buck doing that, the rich stay rich, small guys like us get less sick than we would have. A handful of people have adverse outcomes but less people than would have got sick with no treatments.

Why make it into anything more than that?

Aren't you in Australia? Your government is already throwing people into camps. Your Prime Minister is calling you sheep on national television. They've stocked up on 14 booster shots for every citizen. Army is already "helping" these efforts.   

German Government has said that by next winter every man, woman and child will be vaccinated or dead. The Chancellor has said he will use any means necessary, legal or illegal, to accomplish these goals. So there's about 25 million Germans that must be neutralized. We'll see how that plays out very soon. If they are successful the rest of the West will follow suit shortly and military dictatorships will be set up across the board. They already have the dictatorship through the emergency pandemic acts we just aren't seeing them using it like a Gaddaffi yet. They want to see if the people will go along with it first. Germany is the test run.

Health? This is a coup.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

In the US at least, the experts on epidemiology supported and commended riots and protests in the aftermath of George Floyd, but condemned those protesting the loss of their business. When medical experts support violent revolutionaries burning down court houses and police stations, but condemn those protesting for personal Liberty, they’re not to be trusted.

Yeah...my take is that realistically any large scale meeting for any reason including protests of whatever political persuasion is a terrible idea during a pandemic. I suspect the health authorities know that to be the case - but that the problem is that if they had said that about the Floyd riots they would risk being called racist.

So to avoid the kinda 'cancel' style backlash they gave it a pass. But then the freedom stuff while a huge national issue isn't one of the pet topics people are afraid to go against at the moment so they came down hard on it. I agree it's a contradiction though.   

Randall Flagg wrote:

Allowing world leaders to halt our freedom of travel and right to pursue happiness under the guise of safety is terrifying. Especially when they’ve proven themselves incredibly inept at accomplishing their stated goals.

I think as a society it's one of those things where we'll have to find what the balance is.

Like driving - If I get enjoyment out of driving at fast speeds and I don't care if I crash - to what extent should I be allowed to do it when there's a risk to others? We found ways to balance that - we train people to drive, we require some safety measures on the cars, we have limits on how you may drive when other people are around, but then we also set up spaces for people to race if that's their thing.

To me this is kinda a similar thing - we're going to have to find the balance between maintaining our way of life - economically and in terms of freedoms - but also reducing sickness and not endangering other people. It's a tricky one really.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Aren't you in Australia? Your government is already throwing people into camps. Your Prime Minister is calling you sheep on national television. They've stocked up on 14 booster shots for every citizen. Army is already "helping" these efforts.

They've stocked up on boosters because of what happened with the initial roll out. We got the vax very late for a western nation. The government screwed up the initial negotiation process and for a long time we had no mrna vax at all here. The AZ vax we had was limited to oldies only.

Like NZ we took a strategy of locking down hard and using our island isolation to attempt to get rid of the virus. It was insanely successful (infection wise) for a time - it was looking like we would be the models of how to get vid of the thing - for a while we even had zero going on. But then the governments stuffed up quarantine of people coming in and the virus got back in....and it took hold hard cos of the limited vaccination coverage.

The feds are due for election next year and people are PISSED that we went through all that lockdown and then THEY fucked up the vaccine despite having a year to prepare. I think the booster stocking now is over compensation...basically next time we run out of vaccine people are going to kick them the hell out....

As for the camps thing...yeah...no one is getting put in camps.....when people return here from internationally they do a short stint in a hotel type facility for like 2 weeks...but thats pretty common around the world now....regular people in the suburbs and stuff are not being rounded up trust me....I'm going to a park tomorrow to go to a community fair and take my kid to see Santa arrive on the back of a local firetruck...and I live in the state that had the worst lockdowns and the second largest outbreak....

I had my booster, I wear a mask in public and I avoid getting within a few meters of people from other houses whenever possible...but to me thats common sense while we're going through a pandemic. It won't be forever. Vaccines will improve, treatment will improve, immunity will increase, the virus will probably get less bad in later mutations too.

I think we all just need to chill. Do what's smart. But chill. Everyone is doing their best to get us out of this.

Randall Flagg

Manchin just ended any hope of the BBB legislation. Curious to see what the Dems try to accomplish in the next 10 months to mitigate their loss of both chambers next November.

Randall Flagg

https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthcare/ … extra-step

Here’s beagle torturer Fauci saying we’ll never fly without masks again. Thank god the airline industry doesn’t agree.  This guy needs to be gone yesterday.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Manchin just ended any hope of the BBB legislation. Curious to see what the Dems try to accomplish in the next 10 months to mitigate their loss of both chambers next November.

If you cut through the noise, a lot of liberals thought the bill was very, very flawed. The problem is, they need the squad to pass it, and they're not going to settle on the most problematic aspects. So it's not just Manchin, other progressives are refusing to compromise.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1472698705702703104

Board footer