You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

Anyone who has issues with ACB is just a biased hack. She's really impressed me and I didn't think I'd like her.

Damn, even after she made your girl Amy look kind of dumb yesterday?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I didn't find it "EMBARRASED" Klobuchar, not really at all. I was waiting for the knockout punch during the final few seconds.  Barrett comes off like a person who's dad practiced things like "Memorization" frequently, and pranced around proud cause she knew her alphabet or multiplication tables early on.

It's overrated anyway. People who invent 5G, the internet, wifi, streaming video etc are smart. Lawyers, judges etc, are people who are booksmart.

Randall Flagg

I didn't pick the title of the video nor did I say she was embarrassed.  But Klobuchar clearly didn't understand what super precedent meant and floundered on trying to make a "gotcha" moment.

As much as I'd like Heller to be considered in this category, plenty of scholars and politicians want to void the common and historical understanding of the 2nd amendment.  As Barret said, no one advocates that Brown v. Board was wrong.

And since I doubt many of you study court cases or took 400+ level classes on the subject, you do know that Roe v. Wade was updated in the early 90s as the justices found problems with Roe, namely that in Roe they put a limit on fetus viability, which they later recognized would change as medicine advanced.  Roe is inherently not a super precedent case because it's already been amended.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Amy was able to rattle Kavenaugh, and just couldn't with her. ACB did embarrass some people, though. I thought what I saw of Whitehouse today was smart. He accepted she's going to be on the court and brought up reforms for the supreme court.

Randall Flagg

Come november the court is going to rule that the individual mandate without the tax is unconstitutional.  That's it.  They'll remove the individual mandate, and the rest of the law will stand.  And if you're looking for someone to blame, blame Obama and the Democrats who kept kicking the can down the road and delayed the tax (after Obama denied it was a tax).  They knew telling people they could get easy healthcare was a sell, but actually punishing people who didn't buy it was a losing proposition.  That's why the market collapsed and never really came to fruition.  The government lacked the funds to repay the insurers because they never collected the penalty.

So we'll have the law that sets up an exchange that isn't really competitive, but forces insurers to cover pre-existing conditions (a good thing). 

Personally I wish we'd join the rest of the western world and simplify and automate our tax code.  People shouldn't be able to hire expensive accountants and lawyers to get out of paying their required share.  But so long as we codify loopholes, it's going to be exploited.  If tax returns were automatically done by the IRS, we wouldn't have to worry about tax time.  And we could ensure everyone kicks in something to get medicare for those who fall under a certain income threshold or in emergency.  But both sides want to protect their corporate and billionaire donors.  Nothing is stopping Warren Buffet from paying more than his secretary, he could donate money to the IRS.  He chooses not to.

I like Warren's wealth tax, but it's unconstitutional.  Remember, Congress had to pass an amendment to create an income tax.  They could pass a wealth tax amendment in 30 days if they wanted to.  That Pelosi or Warren haven't submitted this amendment tells you all you really need to know about their sincerity.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Facebook and Twitter are censoring any mention of the Hunter Biden story that he used his father for business favors. I really think this has fuck all to do with Biden as president in the grand scheme of things. How many kids do this same thing? And yeah, it's hypocritical to go after the Trump kids but not Biden's, but I really don't care about a politician's kid.

But this has crossed the line. Journalists are saying both platforms are even censoring private DM's that mention it. I think Twitter and Facebook finally fucked themselves. They're officially publishers now and should be treated as such.

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

Facebook and Twitter are censoring any mention of the Hunter Biden story that he used his father for business favors. I really think this has fuck all to do with Biden as president in the grand scheme of things. How many kids do this same thing? And yeah, it's hypocritical to go after the Trump kids but not Biden's, but I really don't care about a politicians kids.

But this has crossed the line. Journalists are saying both platforms are even censoring private DM's that mention it. I think Twitter and Facebook finally fucked themselves. They're officially publishers now and should be treated as such.

I can tell you that's not true. One of my idiot friends has been dming me all day, with this being one of the stories and it wasn't blocked.  He also thinks Obama faked the OBL killing and then clipped Seal Team 6 to cover it up.  Sounds like some of the shit that comes from this forum.

I would totally support a federal law making it illegal for these platform to censor speech.  I know a lot of people on the left love it because it's "conservative" speech being censored.  But the notion that a company should be able to dictate what speech is acceptable is the grossest distortion of the 1st amendment in a generation.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Come november the court is going to rule that the individual mandate without the tax is unconstitutional.  That's it.  They'll remove the individual mandate, and the rest of the law will stand.  And if you're looking for someone to blame, blame Obama and the Democrats who kept kicking the can down the road and delayed the tax (after Obama denied it was a tax).  They knew telling people they could get easy healthcare was a sell, but actually punishing people who didn't buy it was a losing proposition.  That's why the market collapsed and never really came to fruition.  The government lacked the funds to repay the insurers because they never collected the penalty.

So we'll have the law that sets up an exchange that isn't really competitive, but forces insurers to cover pre-existing conditions (a good thing). 

Personally I wish we'd join the rest of the western world and simplify and automate our tax code.  People shouldn't be able to hire expensive accountants and lawyers to get out of paying their required share.  But so long as we codify loopholes, it's going to be exploited.  If tax returns were automatically done by the IRS, we wouldn't have to worry about tax time.  And we could ensure everyone kicks in something to get medicare for those who fall under a certain income threshold or in emergency.  But both sides want to protect their corporate and billionaire donors.  Nothing is stopping Warren Buffet from paying more than his secretary, he could donate money to the IRS.  He chooses not to.

Pelosi and Reid were the real architects and shoved it through flawed. I think the main thing Obama cared about was preexisting conditions and not being kicked off your healthcare if you're laid off.

The arrogant, half-ass and completely partisan and loaded nature of that bill is a Pelosi hallmark. "You can read it after you vote for it!" An 80,000 page bill.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Facebook and Twitter are censoring any mention of the Hunter Biden story that he used his father for business favors. I really think this has fuck all to do with Biden as president in the grand scheme of things. How many kids do this same thing? And yeah, it's hypocritical to go after the Trump kids but not Biden's, but I really don't care about a politicians kids.

I can tell you that's not true. One of my idiot friends has been dming me all day, with this being one of the stories and it wasn't blocked.  He also thinks Obama faked the OBL killing and then clipped Seal Team 6 to cover it up.  Sounds like some of the shit that comes from this forum.

This just started happening like within the hour.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Board footer