You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GNREvo's Favourite Album of the Century so far, Elimination Round 1

AtariLegend wrote:

So these are the nominees with the most nominations as chosen by Evo. If you haven't heard any of these albums before, it may be worth checking them out.

Please mention whether the album you're voting off is something you've actually heard or not. Most of the nominees should be familiar to our members.

Voting ends in 5 days. If there is a tie, metacritic score will be used.

Below is a sample of some more famous (not necessarily best) tracks from each album.

Audioslave

Higher Truth

Chinese Democracy

American Idiot

Hybrid Theory

Hardwired to Self Destruct

Third

Songs for the Deaf

Kid A

Elephant

Vote off your least favourite album

Audioslave - Audioslave (2001) 0%
Chris Cornell - Higher Truth (2015) 0%
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy (2008) 0%
Green Day - American Idiot (2004) 11%
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000) 0%
Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct (2016) 0%
Portishead - Third (2008) 67%
Queens of the Stoneage - Songs for the Deaf (2002) 11%
Radiohead - Kid A (2000) 11%
The White Stripes - Elephant (2003) 0%
Total votes: 9
BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Green Day after Dookie is trash. Can't change my mind.

AtariLegend wrote:

Songs for the Deaf.

I remember liking it at the time, but I've never felt the need to go back to it or any of its tracks.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Ive never listened to portishead in my life

BLS that GD album is my favorite ofvtheir entire catalogue

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Ive never listened to portishead in my life

You should check it out.

It was one of the favourite albums of the critics that year.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

wow what a pisspoor list. Music has sucked this century, eh?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, 1991 alone would probably replace 5 or 6 albums here.

Thought I posted, but I went with Portishead.  Could be good, just never heard of them, so to me it's like Wilco, great band, great albums, I just wouldn't give it much more than 'Album of the year' type grammy stuff. For a list like this  sales & cultural relevance kinda matters.

BLS you should check out American Idiot. Had alot of hits but its also a concept album of sorts. Was kinda the first newer one that started the trend. Supposedly he was following up with Minority & Warning type 3 chord stuff, and said he didn't wanna do that anymore. they asked him what he wanted to do like a rock opera, and was sorta inspired by Queen. I never owned the album or listened straight thru, but there's a 9 minute song "Jesus Of Suburbia" that's pretty good & kinda fills in some of the pieces that tie it all together.

It's a pretty impressive album & I'd even view Green Day as pre-American Idiot & post-American Idiot.   It's unfortunate Pearl Jam never had such a monumental mid-career album. Other bands mostly had the singer die or form supergroups.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

How did it get whittled down to those? Most of the truly exceptional albums of the century aren't there and they were nominated? Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, Beck - Morning Phase, Bob Dylan - Love and Theft  to name just a few???

I voted Portishead - Third regardless - has absolutely no business being on any best-of the century list. Dummy however, is brilliant

AtariLegend wrote:

Was looking at The Guardian's list of top 100 albums so far this century. Only Kid A, Third and Elephant were on it. All 3 which I assume won't last long on this forum.

As for this list, 2 things to keep in mind 1: Not many people actually nominated, 2: these are the only ones that got enough nominations.

While certain nominations got vouched for multiple times, people picked different albums for said artists.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Was looking at The Guardian's list of top 100 albums so far this century. Only Kid A, Third and Elephant were on it. All 3 which I assume won't last long on this forum.

As for this list, 2 things to keep in mind 1: Not many people actually nominated, 2: these are the only ones that got enough nominations.

While certain nominations got vouched for multiple times, people picked different albums for said artists.

I admit I never got too into the White Stripes. Always viewed them a little bit as a lesser Green Day, mixed with The Strokes, who weren't all that lasting. Jack White's very talented tho. I searched some Top lists too, and Elephant is rated pretty high. I should give it a listen.

Board footer