You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Movies That Should've Been Bigger

James wrote:

I'm going to kick things off with the early 80s....

Night Shift

[youtube]3SbGmUQQr4[/youtube]

A perfect movie. A perfect cast, an amazing soundtrack, it's funny from start to finish, and it's a great snapshot of early 80s culture. That trailer doesn't do it justice. I just looked it up and it gets a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's also one of the first movies we bought on VHS and we watched it all the time.

I just watched it last night before bed. Michael Keaton practically steals the show. Shelley Long is great in this too and it's Winkler's best role without a doubt.

The Burning

This still holds up today. Great cast, story, and of course who can forget the controversial boat scene? It had the unfortunate fate of being released in the same timeframe as Friday the 13th part 2 and just got buried amongst all that early 80s horror. If you didn't get to watch it on Showtime back then, you missed it. It was not easy to find for years until it finally got a proper release in the 2000s.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Drive.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Drive.

lol, I was going to respond. I thought you meant Crash (haha) which I felt was awful & overrated.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The Rocketeer. Just a great 30s pulp adventure in the Indiana Jones mould. But it came out the same week as Terminator 2 and got absolutely buried at the box office...

James

James wrote:

Europa Report

This deserved a heavy promo campaign. Instead it was treated like a low key B movie. Most people don't even know of its existence... including people interested in space.

I suppose that the lack of action or a fast paced plot would've made it a bit difficult to promote.

It's great. It's a realistic portrayal of what the first manned mission to Europa could be like... including the discovery of life.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

My pick would be The Mosquito Coast with Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren and River Phoenix. Ford was just awesome as this crazy, radical-minded asshole who's angry at the world and moves his family to South America in search of a better life only to end up in disaster. I think Harrison Ford himself states this is his favorite performance.

James

James wrote:

Holy shit....I haven't watched that since it came out. It would be like watching a new movie.

I'll have to check Netflix and Amazon. If not there, pirate Bay.

Board footer