You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 130 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

polluxlm wrote:

They know a live album won't generate much interest at all. They could do it as a quick cash grab but I don't get the feeling that's what this is about. Absurd as a single does not point in the direction of easy profits.


Absurd doesn't point in the direction of any profit.  The mainstream aren't celebrating it and it's dropped off all the charts.  In the most positive light possible, the die hards of this forum are evenly split on whether it is a good song or complete trash.  I like Hard Skool, but it's not Paradise City or KOHD.  Hell, it's not even Better.  If we're talking about profits and generating buzz, they need an A list track to make that happen.  And none of the CD B-sides, even the ones without lyrics some fans obsess over, hit that mark.  Keep in mind every single one of us here is biased in favor of the band; we're going to like songs that don't resonate with most music listeners.

Will Guns n’ Roses release new music in 2021?

Yes, Q1 0%
Yes, Q2 3%
Yes, Q3 20%
Yes, Q4 9%
No. I can’t do this shit anymore. 69%
Total votes: 35
polluxlm
 Rep: 208 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

polluxlm wrote:

And I think the band knows that. Whatever reason they had for releasing Absurd it was not direct profit. I don't think it's unimaginable that they want to release an album simply because that is the old school thing to do. They probably also know that any rock song no matter how good is not going to make any kind of splash in today's music scene.

At least I pray that is the case. 16

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:

It's more surprising that more leaks didn't happen if you really think about it.

I still can't hardly believe that some form of the album didn't leak in 2003-04....and it's really a miracle that the so called "Trunk disc" didn't leak days after the IRS broadcast.

I know the album was circulating amongst various hoarders in that timeframe but I'm talking about a genuine across the board leak(Napster, Kazaa, etc)

It's unfortunate that it didn't happen. The forums were amazing back then, literally thousands of people posting, and it would've been manna from heaven and pure chaos.

I also believe that the album would've come out sooner had it leaked in full at the time.

It would've been rushed to the launch pad.

If we're talking about profits and generating buzz, they need an A list track to make that happen.  And none of the CD B-sides, even the ones without lyrics some fans obsess over, hit that mark.

I see your point...agree in spirit regarding most of the material...but I think with proper lyrics and killer vocals Oklahoma has potential to be a genuine comeback song.

Everything else....yeah it's not going anywhere near the top of the chart. Soul Monster...the second best track IMO....is a killer, epic deep cut in the making.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

And I think the band knows that. Whatever reason they had for releasing Absurd it was not direct profit. I don't think it's unimaginable that they want to release an album simply because that is the old school thing to do. They probably also know that any rock song no matter how good is not going to make any kind of splash in today's music scene.

At least I pray that is the case. 16

They need a bookend to the band. Period.

It can't end at CD...it just can't. Even if Axl has little interest in creating new material, even he has to realize that CD should not be the end of the road.

And that's all I think we're going to get....one final album. Dollars to donuts it will be self titled. And they're already retconning the CD era to include Slash and Duff. No reason to do that unless you're going to release it.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I can't believe so many of those songs are considered b-list. Some of those instrumentals are among the best things ever done under the GN'R name. I count 5 songs that could be high quality + hardschool which already is. Oklahoma a b-side? I don't think so. Seems rather Axl was saving the really big songs for a later release. Didn't he say Elvis was his favorite song from the material? Yet that and other big guns were not on CD. Why wouldn't they be if you want it to be a success?

I used to believe there was something to this apparent vision.....


I stopped believing it when I saw the albums tracklist.

Catcher in the Rye.... supposedly meant for the 2nd or 3rd album....made the cut.

Why?

It leaked.

Chinese Democracy is a leaks album with a few extras to pad out the disc. Nothing more, nothing less.

When Finck is begging for This I Love to be included and they squeeze it in under the wire and Ron lobbies for Atlas Shrugged but is vetoed because they've already filled the disc, there's no grand vision behind it.

Fans put more thought into the tracklist than the band did....

Wagszilla
 Rep: 16 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

Wagszilla wrote:

The locker stuff showed promised but that it - promise. I dig what was there but it wasn't nearly as complete or smooth as say It's So Easy or Mr. Brownstone. Competent and hard rocking but needed some wiggle.

And Axl's lyrics post-1991 (Oh My God very much excluded) were spotty at best.

Wagszilla
 Rep: 16 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

Wagszilla wrote:
James wrote:

When Finck is begging for This I Love to be included and they squeeze it in under the wire and Ron lobbies for Atlas Shrugged but is vetoed because they've already filled the disc, there's no grand vision behind it.

To be fair, CD was always Axl's songs and some B-sides he wanted to throw on there.

This I Love was never a CD-era song. Finck probably wanted it on there because he's shining. And knows Axl could be a nutjob.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

The locker stuff showed promised but that it - promise. I dig what was there but it wasn't nearly as complete or smooth as say It's So Easy or Mr. Brownstone. Competent and hard rocking but needed some wiggle.

And Axl's lyrics post-1999 (Oh My God very much excluded) were spotty as best.

It's all redundant....he just kept covering the same ground over and over and over again.

He needed a producer willing to get in his face and tell him the score....and not get fired for doing it.

By the time songs like The Blues, Prostitute, and Madagascar are taking shape(1999), it was time to move on to a new subject.... unless you're literally planning on a concept album about the Steph relationship imploding almost simultaneously with the fracturing of the old band.

I suggested it many years ago and got a lot of shit for it....

Outside songwriters should've been brought in if necessary....or in the least bring someone into the fold he can truly collaborate with.

You're right... there's tons of potential in the Village Sessions material. He needed someone to guide him. He isn't Roger Waters...he can't put together masterpiece after masterpiece, pound the pavement til their knuckles bleed, and bring it all together.

According to Dizzy in early 2006, the band hadn't seen each other since 2002.

What kind of environment is that?

The moment they started to just add extra layers on top of tracks that the label wasn't too impressed with was the moment to switch gears entirely.

The least that should've happened is certain songs drop out of contention and you get to work on the next batch(Oklahoma, Soul Monster, etc).

Wagszilla
 Rep: 16 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

Wagszilla wrote:
James wrote:

He needed a producer willing to get in his face and tell him the score....and not get fired for doing it.

CD II should be released ASAP and Gn'R should find a producer to work with and get to work on another new album.

But Axl doesn't care anymore.

Guns N' Roses is dead. Let's just hope we get a post-mortem to wrap it up.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:

Record Store Day is Black Friday... November 26th.


Here's the list of releases announced so far. This is where to watch for Hard School/Absurd to pop up in the coming weeks.


https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB