You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Holy shit!?! John Sykes auditioned for GNR????

bigbri wrote:

Did we know this? John Sykes auditioned for GNR in 2009? He’s an incredible player, has his own unique tone like Slash, and is a helluva singer too. He’s one of my favorites.

"I remember Tommy Stinson [then-GUNS N' ROSES bassist] came in, and we walked into rehearsals, and we see John there," Richard recalled. "Tommy turns around to the tour manager, and he goes, 'Man, send him home. Why are we doing this? Axl's [Rose, GN'R singer] not gonna go for this.' And [the tour manager] is, like, 'It's John Sykes, man. He learned the songs. The least you can do is listen to him.' So Tommy was, like, 'All right. Fine.' So we go in the room, and within two minutes, Tommy is looking over at me, like, 'Oh my God!' I mean, it was incredible — incredible. And he just plugged straight into the amp, and just killed it. His tone was incredible. Our jaws were on the ground, for sure."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/john- … f7E7ujzN6o

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

I’m sure I remember his name being mentioned but I thought it was when bucket bailed.

Sky Dog wrote:

But we ended up with an ass clown. The literal definition of a poseur.

The whole wasted 20 years angers me to no end. So much potential and talent to end up with a half ass compilation album of the whole era.

Sky Dog wrote:

We ended up with an album that “made it through the red tape” 4

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't remember this either. It could've been interesting.

Key word there is could've.

Sykes one of your favorites? Reminds me of when I used to pray one of my favorites...Justine Frischman....would somehow get the Huge/Fortus slot in the band.

Then it dawned on me....she miraculously gets in....but what difference would it make? Whether pre or post CD, she's in a situation where nothing creative is allowed to happen or simply dies on the vine and she just becomes a member of the touring lineup.

It's the same with Sykes. Main difference is the band might have been able to perform Riad. I'll never forget when DJ flat out admitted that they literally couldn't play the song.

Imagine Sykes coming in to the Bucket lineup early on when they were actually working on something.

jonesy wrote:

I’m sure I remember his name being mentioned but I thought it was when bucket bailed.

That was John 5.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Oh look more Tommy and Del having too much pull while Axl is nowhere to be found. It’s comical at this point.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

But we ended up with an ass clown. The literal definition of a poseur.

The whole wasted 20 years angers me to no end. So much potential and talent to end up with a half ass compilation album of the whole era.

It'll never cease to amaze me that out of everyone they could've picked....they went with DJ. Axl wasn't even involved in the process. TB picked him.

They just wanted a B grade Slash until they could get the real thing back.

It's why I knew they were never going to release anything with him in the band.

Board footer