You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

jimmythegent wrote:

Comparing it to a 20 year old demo that only a few nerds have heard is kind of futile although understandable I guess. At any rate, I'm firmly in the camp that says Slash and Duff have improved this song considerably - unsurprisingly, it sounds like GN'R now

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I like what slash has done with it.

Will be excited to hear it live with Axl.

My only thing is that hardschool was one of the more generic demos and in my mind nowhere near as songs like State of Grace or Perhaps etc.

But I'll take it.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

IMG_20210731_090306.png?width=477&height=599

Sky Dog wrote:

I’m not a fan of Hardschool either and it’s very disappointing if that is the song they intend to debut with. It’s basically another Shadow of Your Love. I don’t care who is playing on it.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I can't fucking believe Slither & BHS are still on the setlist. What the actual fuck. If Axl insists on playing covers at least vary it up a bit. Play The Last Fight or Messages, VR tracks that would go better with his current voice. If you still need to play Soundgarden, play RATYW or something. Slash keep shredding and getting more technical, give him a challenge.

Sky Dog wrote:

I’m with you on BHS, Slither and I’ll throw in Pretty Tied Up, Better, and Hardschool as well. Meh.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I can't fucking believe Slither & BHS are still on the setlist. What the actual fuck. If Axl insists on playing covers at least vary it up a bit. Play The Last Fight or Messages, VR tracks that would go better with his current voice. If you still need to play Soundgarden, play RATYW or something. Slash keep shredding and getting more technical, give him a challenge.

Nobody cares about The Last Fight and even less care about Messages. You want them playing VR deep cuts and B sides in 2021?!?

The audience would think they are brand new songs. This would cause any potential that Hardschool has to be squandered.

When looking at things such as set lists, you have to stop looking at it from a hardcore fan perspective.

It's not about hardcore fans anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It's about casual fans and will be until the end of the line.

Hell....GNR management...which literally spent nearly 20 years obsessed with forums....no longer gives the tiniest of shits about them.

They only care about social media...which is where casual fans reside.

They aren't seeing requests for VR deep cuts on social media....and wouldn't play them if they did.

Do you know what they're seeing on social media?

Jungle....SCOM....PC....NR.... Patience.....the occasional mention of something new.

I just hope Hardschool is staying in the set even though I'm not a big fan of it. They're not playing it for hardcores.... they're playing it for a large audience...and there has to be a reason for it.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

I am ready for them to play So Fine instead of Hardschool again. axl hopefully someone gets the soundcheck today at least, this is when they’ll probably be vocals

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Nobody cares about The Last Fight and even less care about Messages. You want them playing VR deep cuts and B sides in 2021?!?

The audience would think they are brand new songs. This would cause any potential that Hardschool has to be squandered.

When looking at things such as set lists, you have to stop looking at it from a hardcore fan perspective.

It's not about hardcore fans anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It's about casual fans and will be until the end of the line.

Hell....GNR management...which literally spent nearly 20 years obsessed with forums....no longer gives the tiniest of shits about them.

They aren't seeing requests for VR deep cuts on social media....and wouldn't play them if they did.

Jungle....SCOM....PC....NR.... Patience.....the occasional mention of something new.

I just hope Hardschool is staying in the set even though I'm not a big fan of it. They're not playing it for hardcores.... they're playing it for a large audience...and there has to be a reason for it.

I don't think evidence backs up your assertion about TB. Fernando spends almost no time on social media, however he held several Q&As  on GNR Reddit in 2019 and 2020, and gave a 2 hour interview on the GNFNR discord chat last year. He was still doing MYGNR chats in 2018, and only stopped because he was pissed at the way they handled the leaks.

I get your point about the confusion about VR deep cuts being new songs, so that wouldn't be a great idea. But I doubt there were many requests for Wichita Lineman on social media either, not to mention The Seeker which they've played a thousand times. Speaking of social media, the NITL select of BHS released in December was a laughing stock on both Twitter and Facebook and even had some mainstream music news sites mocking it. If Axl is going to do covers he should at least do ones he can sing well. Just look at Youtube comments on Slither videos, lots of casuals not impressed at all with that chorus.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I don't think evidence backs up your assertion about TB. Fernando spends almost no time on social media, however he held several Q&As  on GNR Reddit in 2019 and 2020, and gave a 2 hour interview on the GNFNR discord chat last year. He was still doing MYGNR chats in 2018, and only stopped because he was pissed at the way they handled the leaks.

I get your point about the confusion about VR deep cuts being new songs, so that wouldn't be a great idea. But I doubt there were many requests for Wichita Lineman on social media either, not to mention The Seeker which they've played a thousand times. Speaking of social media, the NITL select of BHS released in December was a laughing stock on both Twitter and Facebook and even had some mainstream music news sites mocking it. If Axl is going to do covers he should at least do ones he can sing well. Just look at Youtube comments on Slither videos, lots of casuals not impressed at all with that chorus.

They should finally try Fall To Pieces. Apart from Slither it's the only other well known VR song, and it could sound like classic GN'R if Axl manages to sing it halfway decent...

Play two new songs (Hard School and I don't know maybe Perhaps), FTP, Pretty Tied Up, Ain't It Fun, and Dust N' Bones with Duff singing along with standard hits and you have a setlist that pleases almost everybody. The casuals and the hardcores...

And if you're at it, release one of the new songs as a digital single and you might even get a buzz on social media. Doesn't matter what the song is. Even Hard School would do...

Board footer