You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

tejastech08 wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

my fantasy is that after they give the label 1 last album, they use all the profits to start their own label and spend the next decade actually making music.

That would be great to see. 5

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Actually, I am 100% in favor of Axl becoming a studio-only musician. He can still get the job done very well in the studio where you can do multiple takes and so forth. He has wasted so much of his prime that I hate to think he spends a huge chunk of each year on Tour singing 30+ year old songs...when he could be working in the studio to produce new material. The Beatles stopped touring and became a better studio band. I would not mind seeing this with Axl, especially since we will eventually get to a point where he won't be able to sing at all (not even in the studio).

Interesting.  When I first read this, I thought maybe he's run out of things to write (lyrics) about and just wants to tour.  But then I thought about the current state of the world and well he's probably got a lot to say about that.

Oh, welcome back.

Sky Dog wrote:

My hang up is that stuff like this should be left for a solo album. Yes, it's a cool track but it is so far in left field that most classic rock fans can't wrap their head around this or OMG or Shacklers, et al. I remember when KID A came out after OK Computer. I was hoping Radiohead would be the next U2 or Pink Floyd and they shunned it and never made a cohesive album after that (imo).

The best thing Axl could do with all this stuff is do what MJK did with Puscifer. Just have a side band with Bucket and Finck and the crazy crew he had making Chinese in the early stages. Obviously, he is all in on Gnr but this is quite off the chart odd choice for a first single with Slash back.

oh....side note....Brain's drumming is fucking killer.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

I was looking at the credits and noticed it says; Written by: Guns N Roses
it made me wonder if this is a way around naming all the people who would have been involved in not only Absurd, but all of CD2. While also being something the big three had to agree on moving forward. I'm no expert on how song credits and all that go but...what if each member had signed a contract with the GNR entity and essential signed rights of any parts they write to the GNR entity? Is that even possible?
If so I stand by something i said when this started, Axl planned the reunion for many years.
Axl had his band(s) just record endless amounts of ideas and pieced together whatever stuck for damn near 20 years of time. He can use whatever he wants. He sits and waits until 20 years, calls it the Not In This Lifetime tour after famously saying that to the paparazzi, and now has 2 albums of material that many have thought 'if it just had Slash..' and he now has Slash and Duff. Axl has had all the time in the world to pick at lyrics and tinker, if he can't put this stuff out at this point with Slash and Duff willing and able than put a fork in GNR forever.
But it appears that's not the case. And i'm excited as hell for what's to come.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

I really, really, really hope this is the start of the promotion leading up to an album announcement. I'll be majorly bummed if it was released for the tour or just shits and giggles.

I want to believe this is the beginning rumblings of something big. They've gotten everyone's attention with a big WTF? move. Please don't blow this. Hard School is a very good single to launch an album.

How long do they wait to release hard school?  I don't think they can do it in the next couple weeks to allow Absurd time to breathe, but they're leaving the US in 2 months and heading to South America and Australia right after.  Then they have 6 months of a tour gap before they hit Europe.  An album needs to be out before Europe, and I'd assume a 2nd tour of North America late summer/fall of next year.  I'm no internet guru, but you only have people's attention for so long.

With the covid situation in Australia currently, very unlikely the Australasia shows happen sadly / postponed to 2022 i’m thinking . The trans-Tasman bubble (NZ and Australia ) which was paramount to having these shows is currently shut down for 2 months .

Sky Dog wrote:

Yep...noticed the writing credit as well. Definitely different and no idea as to what agreements were made. On Apple Music the patent/copyright says "2021 Guns N' Roses, under exclusive  license to Geffen Records.....no mention of Black Frog. hmm

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Wasn’t there legal action by Pittman? Maybe releasing this is a part of a settlement?

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Wasn’t there legal action by Pittman? Maybe releasing this is a part of a settlement?

hmm.. Axl did say at the end of Abusrd last night; "Now wasn't that like a spoonful of sugar, helps that medicine go down. "

I'm probably looking to much into it lol

Sky Dog wrote:

Don’t know on the Mother Goose part

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I wouldn’t worry about Axl getting scared off by bad reviews this time around. He’s not alone to shoulder the whole burden now. It was all on him before. With Slash and Duff by his side, there’s a lot less pressure. If he really was worried about that, I highly doubt they would have led with Absurd.

Someone brought this up before and I was thinking the same thing. Do you think this was the plan all along, meaning leading into the tour? Play show 1 to get warmed up, debut Absurd show 2, announce it’ll be released as a single show 3 knowing word will spread like wildfire amongst the online community. Or did they decide to throw it all together after they got some buzz after playing it at Fenway?

Board footer