You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Axl doesnt consider CD a guns n roses album anymore

James wrote:

The first order will be playing all the CD songs in the set to legitimise them

The streaming statistics for Chinese Democracy prove this...in a weird way.

The songs they've played on the NITL tour have decent stats, the songs they haven't played have cobwebs surrounding them.

They could add a reworked Chinese Democracy bonus disc to the upcoming album and it would permanently bury the original CD.

They could even give it a slight nudge by letting it go out of print...and even pull it from streaming sites.

Who would complain?!?  neutral

The second order will be no reunion album for the first five years

While I do believe something should've come out in 2016...at least a new compilation...they had no incentive to release a new album yet.

Tickets kept on selling like hotcakes. Now that the GNR craze has died down and they're having difficulty filling venues....

Abracadabra!

New album on launch pad. 9

The third order will be picking the song that most epitomises why you left in the first place and choosing it as the single, and then making you take credit for that.

Yeah this was wacky....

Playing on the sort of material they mocked when walking out the door.... showing they never should've left in the first place.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Playing on the sort of material they mocked when walking out the door.... showing they never should've left in the first place.

This is one of the interesting things to me. For all the talk about musical differences...CD and now Absurd showed that basically all of Axl's alternative ideas can still be converted into UYI era rockers/ballads.

It really shows most of the problem wasn't the musical differences but just the miscommunications and lack of mutual respect. Sad really cos they could have sorted this out in 1995 or something.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It really shows most of the problem wasn't the musical differences but just the miscommunications and lack of mutual respect. Sad really cos they could have sorted this out in 1995 or something.

Indeed.

Couple things...

Taking his Snakepit demos the summer of 94 and turning them into a GNR side project minus Axl a few months later was a collosal blunder....it crossed the Rubicon.

Slash didn't take Keith Richards advice....

You never leave!!!

What blows my mind is Duff pulls the same stunt a year later with Neurotic Outsiders.

When hearing Oh My God back then, I was like, "Ok, I can see why Slash, Duff, and Matt weren't interested".

Hearing Silkworms two years later....

Same thing.

Now? I see it as a wasted opportunity. They could've gave those songs their own unique herbs and spices.

I'm not talking about adding a layer on top of the songs now....I mean being on the ground floor when the material is being created.

It could've been their Achtung Baby.....

Axl, Slash, and Duff reinventing themselves with a record 98-00.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I don't get folk who go on about "I wish they wouldn't release these songs with Slash and Duff, I want the originals from 02, I don't want these versions of the songs".

Getting these versions is the hurdle that needs to be cleared if you ever EVER want to hear how these songs sounded with the CD lineup. Getting a release of this music out the door gets us 1) closer to any sort of unloading of old demos, vault boxset type release in the future 2) kills the mystique any of these songs have and reduces their trade value.

If any of this shit is out there and someone who's been sat on lets just say The General for the past decade sees an announced tracklist for an eventual album and sees their shit on there... they're going to want to get it moved quick before it becomes worth so much less. More trading of shit means songs end up in more hands and make it likelier they end up leaking.

If you ever want to one day hear Axl's CD 2 the way it was "supposed" to have been heard circa 2001-2004 then this hurdle of a new reunion album needs to be cleared.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

There's a reason Axl sings on Black Leather and Pretty Tied Up.

It's like when your ex-girlfriend comes back after cheating on you or something...she's going to be made to prove her worth lol.

The first order will be playing all the CD songs in the set to legitimise them.

The second order will be no reunion album for the first five years.

The third order will be picking the song that most epitomises why you left in the first place and choosing it as the single, and then making you take credit for that.

I will make you prove to me that you love me, so hard, that you will never dare leave my ass again.

Haha, so funny Monkey, and so true!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

This is one of the interesting things to me. For all the talk about musical differences...CD and now Absurd showed that basically all of Axl's alternative ideas can still be converted into UYI era rockers/ballads.

Yup, it's kinda funny. Turns out that techno-industrial track was really just a punk rock track with the guitars dialled down and the synth dialled up.

The thing I find kinda crazy is that of the CD tracks they're playing they've gone for some that I really didn't expect (Better, Prostitute, Madagascar) over the more obvious "traditional" sounding rock tracks (I.R.S., Street of Dreams).

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The thing I find kinda crazy is that of the CD tracks they're playing they've gone for some that I really didn't expect (Better, Prostitute, Madagascar) over the more obvious "traditional" sounding rock tracks (I.R.S., Street of Dreams).

Imagine him trying to sing those these days. Neither have featured since 2012.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axl S wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Imagine him trying to sing those these days. Neither have featured since 2012.

The more we get from the NITL lineup, the more irritated it makes me that we didn't get it in 2006 when Axl was on top form. Just imagining Rock Am Ring Axl paired up with Velvet Revolver-era Slash and Duff hurts my heart.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I don't get folk who go on about "I wish they wouldn't release these songs with Slash and Duff, I want the originals from 02, I don't want these versions of the songs".

Getting these versions is the hurdle that needs to be cleared if you ever EVER want to hear how these songs sounded with the CD lineup. Getting a release of this music out the door gets us 1) closer to any sort of unloading of old demos, vault boxset type release in the future 2) kills the mystique any of these songs have and reduces their trade value.

If any of this shit is out there and someone who's been sat on lets just say The General for the past decade sees an announced tracklist for an eventual album and sees their shit on there... they're going to want to get it moved quick before it becomes worth so much less. More trading of shit means songs end up in more hands and make it likelier they end up leaking.

If you ever want to one day hear Axl's CD 2 the way it was "supposed" to have been heard circa 2001-2004 then this hurdle of a new reunion album needs to be cleared.

What is there not to get?

slash and duff are back in the band. Why would you want to hear them cover the CD era stuff instead of Slash, Duff and Axl writing new songs from scratch with each other. 

Axl should have just released an Axl solo cd after the break up with the CD era of the band and start to work on fresh songs with Slash and Duff
But now they have wasted like 5 years and not writing new music and all we will get is the CD era songs with slash and duff touch ups. that is just dumb

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:

What is there not to get?

slash and duff are back in the band. Why would you want to hear them cover the CD era stuff instead of Slash, Duff and Axl writing new songs from scratch with each other. 

Axl should have just released an Axl solo cd after the break up with the CD era of the band and start to work on fresh songs with Slash and Duff
But now they have wasted like 5 years and not writing new music and all we will get is the CD era songs with slash and duff touch ups. that is just dumb

I can think of one reason. They're all too old to create something good enough. Working with material from their prime will at least get us some good songs. Even if Axl was able to do something his voice is no longer what it was and Slash has been out of gas for at least 15 years creatively.

Board footer