You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

James wrote:

Didn't Slash say nothing new has been worked on?

That means only Chinese songs are in contention.

In other words... we're going to finally get the second half of Chinese in short spurts.

I'll take it.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

I'll take it.

This is my approach to anything we get. We heard for years he had one album, then two albums, then three. If he truly does have another album of songs in the can and this is how we get them then so be it. And if he has more than that even better.

I see many fans annoyed that it's not new material... hate to break it to those fans but you're following a band where you can't be choosy about what you get because it's been almost nothing for the longest time.

Get these songs out the door and that opens the door one day for a CD boxset of some description with these songs as they originally sounded. Either Axl can sanction it whilst he's alive or his estate can deal with it when he's gone.

In the meantime, lets just take what we get.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I will be interested to hear what slash and duff added to the other songs.

On the other tracks it sounded like they just muted the old guitars and recorded slash over - which while cool isn't as much as I would like to see Slash do on some of the others. Like Atlas to me was the basis of a really cool song - but it's current structure without anything else it sort of went no-where - it was a bit like if we'd heard estranged with no slash guitars. What I'd like to see is slash add stuff to them properly...like add in a new guitar melody to go with the verses or a new bridge or something but I think the nature of this project (keeping most of the existing instruments etc) means we won't see too much of that.

Some of the songs like State of Grace I think will be great to have finished though.

I guess i'm saying i'm fine that they're doing CD2 songs, by wish is that it was more collaborative creatively - but from the last batch it was more like Slash and Duff took a finished song, and just covered the bass/guitar parts and left it otherwise.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I think the problem is Axl doesn’t write anymore. He had a prolific period in the Chinese era where he wrote a bunch of stuff and I think he wants it out there. I want to hear Slash play on that stuff more than I want to hear Axl sing on Conspirators material.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

So the record is being mixed and mastered, with a release likely to take place after some single/EP releases. Excellent news.

I just hope that we get to hear the original demos one day because, so far, I think I prefer the tunes made by the early 2000’s incarnation of the band.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

On the other tracks it sounded like they just muted the old guitars and recorded slash over - which while cool isn't as much as I would like to see Slash do on some of the others. Like Atlas to me was the basis of a really cool song - but it's current structure without anything else it sort of went no-where - it was a bit like if we'd heard estranged with no slash guitars. What I'd like to see is slash add stuff to them properly...like add in a new guitar melody to go with the verses or a new bridge or something but I think the nature of this project (keeping most of the existing instruments etc) means we won't see too much of that.

Some of the songs like State of Grace I think will be great to have finished though.

I guess i'm saying i'm fine that they're doing CD2 songs, by wish is that it was more collaborative creatively - but from the last batch it was more like Slash and Duff took a finished song, and just covered the bass/guitar parts and left it otherwise.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. I mean, with Hard Skool they clearly stripped out the extended intro and rejigged the structure, and I'm prepared to bet that was all Duff ("Why is there a minute of guitar noodling at the start? Drum crash, bass line, off we go.").

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. I mean, with Hard Skool they clearly stripped out the extended intro and rejigged the structure, and I'm prepared to bet that was all Duff ("Why is there a minute of guitar noodling at the start? Drum crash, bass line, off we go.").

We don't know for sure that's Slash/Duff's work or just a later NuGuns version of Hardschool. If BBF's Absurd hadn't leaked in 2018 we would have had no idea Slash didn't write the new riff.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd say that intro is pure Duff. And Duff might've been in the band much longer than we think, too.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Fair enough, I'm just saying I think the next batch really needs that kinda reworking all the more.

Like to me Atlas is the basis for a really good song - but it needs that something else that slash tends to bring - it feels to me like estranged without the guitars would be - still cool as fuck - but unfinished feeling even if these were due for release once upon a time. So i just hope Slash and co get in there and add stuff and move stuff around and complete them the way they always would have if the band had remained together all along.

Like I think about how Atlas would have evolved if it had been given to 1990 slash, back before all the trouble....that's kinda what I wanna see done to these.

State of Grace is another example...to me this song sounds insanely kickass...but it doesn't really have much in the way of guitars from memory....so I hope they do more than have slash play chorus chords over the ending etc.

I guess the example that bothers me is that middle layla section of hardschool - maybe it's just not to my taste - but it seemed to not have a point on the original or the remake to me. But then i do like the more zep style absurd we got. So there's hope.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Fair enough, I'm just saying I think the next batch really needs that kinda reworking all the more.

Like to me Atlas is the basis for a really good song - but it needs that something else that slash tends to bring - it feels to me like estranged without the guitars would be - still cool as fuck - but unfinished feeling even if these were due for release once upon a time. So i just hope Slash and co get in there and add stuff and move stuff around and complete them the way they always would have if the band had remained together all along.

Like I think about how Atlas would have evolved if it had been given to 1990 slash, back before all the trouble....that's kinda what I wanna see done to these.

State of Grace is another example...to me this song sounds insanely kickass...but it doesn't really have much in the way of guitars from memory....so I hope they do more than have slash play chorus chords over the ending etc.

I guess the example that bothers me is that middle layla section of hardschool - maybe it's just not to my taste - but it seemed to not have a point on the original or the remake to me. But then i do like the more zep style absurd we got. So there's hope.

Thing is we've only heard cirva 99-01 versions of Atlas. We have no idea what state it's in when/if Slash and Duff took a pass at it. Same with Hardskool... we heard a 00 version and nothing since. For all we know a lot of that rework we are crediting them for had already been done in the same way Absurd is pretty close to the BBF demo in terms of rearrangement.

Board footer