You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Do you think that Slash is that calculated in his words?

Yes.

He's certainly calculated...he went years without commenting at all on what's going on with GNR. Duff too.

He complimented Buckethead years ago. Now he's heard the vault but has nothing to say?

The few comments on Silkworms years ago was how it was Dizzy and Pitman's baby. It gets released as Absurd and it's like they don't even exist.

It's a strategy.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

It's truly hilarious how much material spun out of those CD sessions while Axl was fucking about. Buckethead and Tommy's solo stuff, Black Label Society, A Perfect Circle... and 14 GN'R songs.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:

If Absurd and Hard Skool is anything to go by, it looks like they have picked songs that were written mainly by Axl (and/or Dizzy, who is still in the band) and could be redone to such an extent that they wouldn't have to give writing credits to NuGnR members - and, on the other hand, Slash and Duff could get a credit. If that's a pattern (and I think it is) and not just a coincidence, I suppose songs like Atlas and Perhaps fall in the same category, but I don't see how songs that were (instrumentally) written entirely by former members could fit in. Because there couldn't be an album with Slash/Duff and the songwriting credits on ASCAP and the similar databases being all Finck, Buckethead, Stinson, etc. - they can't get away just by putting "written by Guns N' Roses" in the liner notes, as these databases are in the public domain. I also don't think Slash and Duff would have agreed to do it otherwise.

So there may be an album of "leftovers," but not necessarily exactly the same that was intended to be released as "CD2".

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

If Absurd and Hard Skool is anything to go by, it looks like they have picked songs that were written mainly by Axl (and/or Dizzy, who is still in the band) and could be redone to such an extent that they wouldn't have to give writing credits to NuGnR members - and, on the other hand, Slash and Duff could get a credit. If that's a pattern (and I think it is) and not just a coincidence, I suppose songs like Atlas and Perhaps fall in the same category, but I don't see how songs that were (instrumentally) written entirely by former members could fit in. Because there couldn't be an album with Slash/Duff and the songwriting credits on ASCAP and the similar databases being all Finck, Buckethead, Stinson, etc. - they can't get away just by putting "written by Guns N' Roses" in the liner notes, as these databases are in the public domain. I also don't think Slash and Duff would have agreed to do it otherwise.

So there may be an album of "leftovers," but not necessarily exactly the same that was intended to be released as "CD2".

The argument against this theory is that the vast majority of instrumentals must have been written by people other than Dizzy and Axl. If Slash says "a bunch of stuff" that suggests more than just a part. And what about Paul? His fingerprints are all over those sessions. Do you think Axl would accept just cutting him out? He's still "a member" of sorts is he not?

Blackstar

Blackstar wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

The argument against this theory is that the vast majority of instrumentals must have been written by people other than Dizzy and Axl. If Slash says "a bunch of stuff" that suggests more than just a part. And what about Paul? His fingerprints are all over those sessions. Do you think Axl would accept just cutting him out? He's still "a member" of sorts is he not?

I suppose that, say, 3 songs out of 12 where Paul Tobias (or Brain, or Tommy Stinson) would have a credit could be acceptable. But not the other way around.

Aside from Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps, there are songs like Oklahoma, or Nothing (if Axl finished it), or maybe even State of Grace, and probably others that potentially fit in this pattern.

As for Paul Tobias, no one knows what his current status is. I also don't know how big his input was. I always assumed that he co-wrote Hard Skool (which is probably from the batch of songs that originate either from 1995/96 or from the transitional period between "old" and "new" GnR, like Oklahoma, I.R.S., Oh My God and, possibly, State of Grace). But, although the credits for Hard Skool haven't appeared yet on ASCAP, GMR and SESAC, there are credits in the Billboard charts (which, based on other entries, seem accurate) and they are the same as on Absurd, i.e. Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy are listed as songwriters.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Do we know for a fact that Pitman did not write anything on Absurd? The riff comes from his instrument so I assume he wrote at least that part. But maybe it's enough for them to just erase his work, cover it and say Slash wrote it? Because I don't see much actual writing Slash did on that track.

If they can do that then the inclusion of Dizzy is probably just a nod for long term service. Like he's a real member who gets a cut. The way they did it on AFD and UYI. Every member gets a cut of each song. I don't think they are limiting themselves in any way on the material they choose.

Blackstar

Blackstar wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Do we know for a fact that Pitman did not write anything on Absurd? The riff comes from his instrument so I assume he wrote at least that part. But maybe it's enough for them to just erase his work, cover it and say Slash wrote it? Because I don't see much actual writing Slash did on that track.

[...]

Who knows... There's been speculation that Pitman wrote only the intro, which is gone (and was gone already in the version with Bumblefoot playing over in 2006) - and probably the bridge, which has been shortened enough so that maybe can pass as a sample and not as a proper credit? Dizzy was quoted in early 2006 saying that the (synth) riffs were his:

Dizzy: Umm... it was passed back and forth on our [Dizzy's and Pitman's] computers. yeah.. you know, we do a lot of work now on computers. We pass it back and forth and I had a couple riffs so... yeah [...] It kind of went away. I mean we actually played it a few times live... but... I'm sure it'll up at some point.

Unless the songwriting credits/shares of the former members have somehow been bought out (which doesn't seem to have happened in the case of Josh Freese, based on what he said in his recent interview). I guess we'll have to see. If, for example, Soulmonster is released and the credits are only Axl, Slash and Duff, then it will be this scenario.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Hard School seems to be an argument they could do whatever they want regarding who gets credit, but if the song goes back to 96 then the likelihood is the original riff is from Slash, so yes who knows indeed. I doubt Dizzy actually wrote anything on it though. This GN'R being a different legal entity to NU GNR might play a part?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Depends what their contracts said during the CD sessions. Maybe as part of that they gave Axl the option to assume all writing credits for their works if he chose to do so. Maybe they got bought out. The only ones who know won't say so we're all just speculating.

Either way, I still focus on the positive of this interview - they worked on "a lot", the leftover material is it's own "endeavour" and that more is clearly coming. When is the only remaining question.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Depends what their contracts said during the CD sessions. Maybe as part of that they gave Axl the option to assume all writing credits for their works if he chose to do so. Maybe they got bought out. The only ones who know won't say so we're all just speculating.

Either way, I still focus on the positive of this interview - they worked on "a lot", the leftover material is it's own "endeavour" and that more is clearly coming. When is the only remaining question.

If you were a member of nu-guns and were offered a buyout for your writing credits, why wouldn’t you take it? A) you know there’s a good probability they won’t release material anyway and B) if they do release material it won’t be a song where they have to give you money anyway. Take the cash.

Board footer