You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: DJ Ashba: Buckethead Took the Coolness Out of the Band

Sky Dog wrote:

He was great for the time. He understood rock and roll history and appreciated the bands that were the real deal. He was solid and always fair with GNR.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's interesting if you watch Slash's snakepit in 95, then say HOB in 2001 or whenever it is.

Both have a UYI member in the band, both guys still have a somewhat youthful venom and power compared to modern shows, both projects are basically single album endeavours.

That's the thought that hit me last night, the issue with GNR in 200x isn't really so much the line up - as the whole thing could have been a single album experiment into more electronic/industrial/whatever rock just the way Slash's Snakepit 1 was a fun line up that played around for a while and then everyone moved on. The problem was NuGNR carried on without anything new for the better part of 20 years.

Sky Dog wrote:

We all need to simply come to grips with the fact that everything post ‘93 falls way short of the glory. Nothing will ever match that period…trying to make Snakepit sound good or DJ era Gnr or Chinese or even VR is just a waste of time. Sure, we all like different things about each, but in the end, our boys aren’t writing Jungle or Coma anytime soon.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

The leaks have been amazing. The released material, including the new EP, have been disappointing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

We all need to simply come to grips with the fact that everything post ‘93 falls way short of the glory. Nothing will ever match that period…trying to make Snakepit sound good or DJ era Gnr or Chinese or even VR is just a waste of time. Sure, we all like different things about each, but in the end, our boys aren’t writing Jungle or Coma anytime soon.

Yeah i mean I like them all as their own thing.

Like I really enjoy the snakepit 1 era, and I really like CD as an album too.

I think the fact that it became the last  GNR project for more than 20 years kinda puts unfair pressure on it.

Like imagine if slash did Snakepit 1, never did Snakepit 2, never did Contraband, or Libertad, Never did the solo album, or the subsequent 4 further albums with myles....and that whole time had been playing only Snake1 or UYI/AFD songs. It would go from making Snake1 a fun side project with some hidden gems to this monster that ate Slash's whole career.

CD itself is a good album, and that 200x line up was a fun project line up....it's just kinda asking a bit much of it for it to occupy Axl's whole life like it has.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:

DJ is such a tool, funny how when GNR did the VMAs in 2002 there were clips before the band played of people asking if BH was there.
DJ is the one who made the band less cool since he was such a poser.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If we were to rank replacement members in the band surely DJ would come last? Maybe Frank is in the mix but that's not his fault.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

polluxlm wrote:

If we were to rank replacement members in the band surely DJ would come last? Maybe Frank is in the mix but that's not his fault.

I’m no fan of DJ, but how is he anymore out there than Melissa?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I’m no fan of DJ, but how is he anymore out there than Melissa?

Honestly, they are all the same level to me.  This band never ever needed a keyboardist anyway.  It's just extra uneccessary padding.

A bunch of great posts here.  The CD thing dragged on and wasn't a one off well in part because he (Axl) owned the name now.   I guess there are certain expectations with that as opposed to a one off like Snakepit.

And I've been just randomly listening to some Buckethead solo stuff and came away with the same conclusion as most:  How the fuck did Axl Rose not get at least 2 albums worth of tracks with this guy as his lead guitarist?  You can also ask how the hell he wasted all the time he has had in the band with Slash.  It always comes back to the same with Axl; lack of productivity.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He doesn't really care anymore. That's been the problem for many years.

The muse is gone.

He's willing to do the nostalgia thing because it's massive money performing in front of huge crowds that requires zero effort in a creative sense.

If something happened and it becomes half empty arena syndrome and people start expecting something (on a large scale), it'll be the mid 2000s all over again.

He'll go home.

One of the problems with such a scenario is his age. He doesn't have the luxury of another silent period in him. If he retreats again, it's the final retreat.

Board footer