You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Why no photo shoots after 1991?

Wilco wrote:

After the release of the UYIs there was not a single official photo shoot of the band together as a whole unit until around 2012 or so….

Any idea why? You had shots of Gilby and Slash done in 1992 or so; Meanwhile TSI’s booklet has only separate tour shots of the band.

Axl wasn’t averse to having his photo taken or anything - he did portrait photo shoots by Sante in 1992 and 1993, a photo shoot during the filming of the SIDHY video in early 94, another official shoot of him by Sante in 2006, etc

But virtually nothing of the band as a whole since 1991. Why?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

When Doug Goldstein replaced Alan Niven as manager, they stopped functioning as a normal band. This was in around 1991, I think. After that, Axl's proven difficult to be coaxed into a room with the others most of the time. This creates a Catch-22: while he's open to ideas in the studio and allows the players some freedom with the live arrangements, lack of band photos goes on to portray him as the head honcho, separate from the backing band. Hard to say if this has been intentional, but it has been the resulting perception.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's a bit strange. They did music videos together, so why so hard to arrange a simple band photo?

I'm trying to picture it. When they were about to release TSI there must have been somebody going "we need a band photo for this". I can't really see Axl going "no fuck that" because he can't be bothered. Maybe nobody dared to ask? Or they did and he kind of forgot about it in between court dates?

In any case it is a clear symptom of the estrangement of the band, particularly Axl. They practically only met him on stage from 91 onwards. Didn't travel with them, didn't live with them, didn't hang out with them.

Any other bands with weird dynamics like that?

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

Photoshots are for promotion, if there's nothing to promote, why waste time & money?

*TSI was basically UYI leftovers, and without a tour to back it up, it seems like.. just something to put out as part of a contract?
Smarter people here can correct me

Wilco

Wilco wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

It's a bit strange. They did music videos together, so why so hard to arrange a simple band photo?

I'm trying to picture it. When they were about to release TSI there must have been somebody going "we need a band photo for this". I can't really see Axl going "no fuck that" because he can't be bothered. Maybe nobody dared to ask? Or they did and he kind of forgot about it in between court dates?

In any case it is a clear symptom of the estrangement of the band, particularly Axl. They practically only met him on stage from 91 onwards. Didn't travel with them, didn't live with them, didn't hang out with them.

Any other bands with weird dynamics like that?

Look at the sole video for TSI, SIHDY. Axl’s parts in the film were shot separate from the rest of the band.

Estranged too, apart from the sequences culled from live performances

Axl to me honestly seemed progressively more and more “done” after Izzy quit. I truly think that when Izzy left, a big part of Axl’s heart or interest in “original Guns” left as well.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

ghows-TX-8b70ab83-ead9-4998-ba57-6fd4a0c0ab71-28c30b8c.jpeg?width=660&height=503&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

DqjCbQCXcAAbx6Y.jpg

Link31

Link31 wrote:

Too much of a dysfunctional band at that point. Gilby being told at the last show He was done. 2 1/2 years of touring. Slash and Axl communicating by phone. Little to no promotion for the album except for one video. As I recall Estranged video came out very close to TSI. The album didn't do very well, as the previous poster said, it's basically UYI leftovers.

As for pictures with CD members, why? They're just hired guns. Never thought of as "members". Look at the recent tour posters, Do you see Frank, Richard or Melissa in them?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There’s literally a CD era band photo above your post.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Nice juxtaposition, misterid. Basically the same pic, backstage at a show. As if someone decided tonight was the night. I wonder who.

Sky Dog wrote:

The Chinese pic is real I believe. Only photo I remember coming from that time.

As for the UYI band, no better picture was taken than the Rolling Stone cover from 1991.

Board footer