You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Why no photo shoots after 1991?

Sky Dog wrote:

All good….yes, there is a purity to simplicity! lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I dunno maybe it's just me...even songs I used to love just seem long, drawn out and unnecessary

Civil War, Estranged, Breakdown, Coma, 14 Years

We just live in a world where anything over 4:00 loses people's attention span ... sometimes even that is too much

Additionally we live in a world where sometimes 2 or even 3 piece bands are making good songs...multilayered Tracks with backing vocals and synthetic orchestra, hamonica, keys, etc etc. seems over the top and a thing of the past ...

Some songs are still great on those albums to be sure, but alot of it has lost its Lustre for me personally

If u still enjoy then good on ya, I mean I'm over tool now as well so there is that (ducks and hides)

I feel this way as well when it comes to UYI...

They're not aging well. We had a lengthy discussion about 10 years ago about how these albums starting dropping or not even appearing on various 'Best of the 90s lists on TV shows and magazines.

I can't imagine that it's improved since then.

The records are not only dated, some of the songs are pure cringe and the so called epics a bit over the top.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to a potential UYI box set hoping we finally get those rough mixes Slash raved on decades ago.

That might breathe new life into them.

Out of my favorite bands, GNR is the only one I go lengthy periods without listening to. The only time the band enters heavy rotation in my house is during a leak or new song is released. While I loved them more than anything in my youth, it just doesn't speak to me anymore.

The small discography is a killer. Unlike Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, or even Soundgarden, there's no chance of being able to "rediscover" an album down the line....like I did with Animals last year or Down on the Upside in 2008.

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

axl92 Oh please….1991 can easily be considered the last great year in rock and roll history! There will never be another year like that….never. Think about it!

1991 can genuinely be considered the greatest year in rock music history.  It doesn't mean material from that year or that era doesn't sound dated and that doesn't mean it isn't still great.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

axl92 Oh please….1991 can easily be considered the last great year in rock and roll history! There will never be another year like that….never. Think about it!

1994 came close but I agree...1991 was the peak for our generation and it rivals some of those years of the 1970s.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

To me dated can mean two things:

1. Something takes place or sounds like a specific era. For example the Sopranos takes place in late 90s, early 00s and you won't get all the references unless you lived in that time or are very familiar with it.

2. Something that was good then but not anymore.

Clearly UYI is dated in the first sense. I'd say most popular music is like that. You can hear the Beatles is from the 60s, Zeppelin from the 70s and Def Leppard from the 80s and so forth.

But in the second? I think that's going too far. Admittedly I don't listen to these albums a whole lot anymore either, so I took II for a spin yesterday.

Civil War definitely falls in the bloated category. It goes on a little too long and Axl going political was never a good look. Still it's a great song, especially the first 2-3 minutes are massive. I would say the issues this song has are minor compared to the things that work.

14 Years, great song nothing wrong with it.

Yesterdays, ditto.

KOHD, a bit unnecessary and the live versions tend to be better, but still this is a great recording.

Get In The Ring, lyrics are cringe and not a good look but damn the song is catchy and fun.

Shotgun Blues, okay song. Lyrics again a bit cringe. Could have dropped this.

Breakdown, great song.

Pretty Tied Up, great and mean song. Total rock n roll, fantastic lyrics.

So Fine, not a bad song but should be dropped to avoid it feeling like a ballads album.

Estranged, this used to win all the polls back on HTGTH. Doesn't seem to have the same luster anymore but hard to argue any faults with this song.   

You Could Be Mine, massive song.

Don't Cry (alt), should have been a b-side to a single.

My World, could be removed.

Trim 30% from those albums and make it a proper double album and you have a great release which would probably be remembered a lot more fondly than the bloated pair we got.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

FazCmr1XkAYwmIH?format=jpg&name=large

This is a cool pic

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

It would be even cooler if it was in front of a mixing desk!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

This picture is actually perfect. It gives vibes of the last episode of a long running tv show and you see what the characters end up doing after the show is over.

guns-n-roses-the-spaghetti-incident-15-cd.jpg

Board footer