You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Why no Axl/Slash interviews since 2016?

Wilco wrote:

We’ve had an Axl / Duff interview

The last time Axl and Slash sat down for a joint interview was January 3rd 1994.

I understand one might say “because they don’t wanna answer certain questions” but couldn’t they sit down with a journalist with pre selected questions if anything?

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I'd say lack of incentive. Axl's only interviews since the reunion were the China exchange, him and Duff to Brazilian TV, and two newspaper interviews in 2018 in Iceland and the UAE. All very random so clearly not part of any genuine promotional strategy, Axl seems to simply agree to these things on the fly rather than plan them out.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think because Axl and Slash, probably don’t want to go into detail about the absolute stupidity of them not speaking for 20+ years. And if I was a journalist worth my salt, that’s exactly what I’d be asking. And also why the fuck it’s taking them so long to get an album together.

I don’t imagine either of them, especially Axl, want to be put on the spot about that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think if and when they have any thing new to show they would do some.

Like Axl was doing interviews with Ac/Dc cos he had something to say about that and it was new.

The china exchange interview and the slash comments in the press are all that was required for the reunion cos there's kinda nothing to say. Like they had a 30 year drama and wasted a lot of productive years on it already. Going into who was right or wrong too deeply only risks turning a good thing bad again. Or bringing media attention onto the the things I assume Axl would rather they forget.

For now I think it's just going to continue on as reunion shows aping the UYI format like they do these days, if we're super lucky we will get some new music drip fed like those songs last year. Once a lot of those are out and it constitutes a new body of work again I could imagine Axl showing up in some format somewhere to answer a few questions about them....but at this point I dont think there's much to say is there?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think because Axl and Slash, probably don’t want to go into detail about the absolute stupidity of them not speaking for 20+ years. And if I was a journalist worth my salt, that’s exactly what I’d be asking.

THIS.

It all looks so insanely juvenile in hindsight and shows the complete lack of maturity and professionalism in both sides.

A huge sore spot and where it will get uncomfortable is if/when a journalist will broach the subject of the potential near reunions of 2000-01(the brief attempt to bring Izzy back before Rio, Slash showing up at HOB but being turned away at the door) and the shit going down behind the scenes in 2005 that should've led to the reunion...and according to Halfin and Weiland, it was ready to go.

It was all such a huge waste of time and there's nothing concrete to justify the 20 years flushed down the toilet.

I can see why they choose to avoid it.

but couldn’t they sit down with a journalist with pre selected questions if anything?

Yes and there's a precedent for it....

Del James

It would still be awkward.

Having said all this, they know that the casual audiences of the 2020s don't really care about any of it...so it's easy to avoid. Only hardcores, journalists, and maybe historians are interested in what went down.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think because Axl and Slash, probably don’t want to go into detail about the absolute stupidity of them not speaking for 20+ years. And if I was a journalist worth my salt, that’s exactly what I’d be asking.

THIS.

It all looks so insanely juvenile in hindsight and shows the complete lack of maturity and professionalism in both sides.

A huge sore spot and where it will get uncomfortable is if/when a journalist will broach the subject of the potential near reunions of 2000-01(the brief attempt to bring Izzy back before Rio, Slash showing up at HOB but being turned away at the door) and the shit going down behind the scenes in 2005 that should've led to the reunion...and according to Halfin and Weiland, it was ready to go.

It was all such a huge waste of time and there's nothing concrete to justify the 20 years flushed down the toilet.

but couldn’t they sit down with a journalist with pre selected questions if anything?

Del James

Having said all this, they know that the casual audiences of the 2020s don't really care about any of it...so it's easy to avoid. Only hardcores, journalists, and maybe historians are interested in what went down.

To your last paragraph: I think the whole thing is interesting. We’ve never gotten a 100% coherent reasoning as to why it really happened. A lot of contradictory reasons have been given: “musical differences” “lack of mutual respect” “Paul Huge” etc

Also, as to when everything went down, that’s quite contradictory too

And Axl has implied his silence and retreat from the public eye from 94 to 00 was sort of done under pressure or that he was convinced to “pull back” rather than it being a completely voluntary. That’s a bit interesting as I wonder what he exactly meant by it.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

THIS.

Del James

About 2005: As most forum users probably know in 2011 MSL leaked a list of Axl's emails. He only gave general descriptions of the emails rather than the contents themselves, probably trying to get a website to pay money for them, which either didn't happen or TB threatened legal action. But anyway, one of the emails was from Slash in December 2005, which was described as "Slash email threatening photographer". I wonder if after Slash showed up at his house in October 2005, Axl hired a PI to follow Slash around and see if he was still using drugs, as the addictions of the other members compared to a sober Axl were a big reason they all drifted apart. Remember, Slash described himself as being drunk at the time of the visit, but Axl's lawsuit said he didn't appear to be under the influence, information Axl would have gotten from Beta because he himself didn't speak to Slash.

Or maybe it's an insane idea and Slash was just angry at someone who took photos for the band like Robert John. But I think the timing seems pretty interesting in that the email was in between Slash's visit and Axl's countersuit.

Board footer