You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Hard Skool: Does it date from ‘96?

James wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Thanks! Yeah,I remember downloading that pdf document and reading through it, so I have it somewhere. But I take all this "insider" information with a big grain of salt...

Yeah me too...but like Axl S mentioned above..a lot of the info wound up being true.

In hindsight it's not surprising. Various band members (among others) were frustrated with the situation. Hell...they were kept so far out of the GNR loop they would sometimes ask forum members/insiders for info!

People in such circumstances are likely to start talking at some point. Sometimes band members say things that are more revealing than they appear on the surface. A good example is when Dizzy went to that frat party in early 2006 a month or two before the leaks/Hammerstein. He was asked the last time the band had been together. This was asked expecting a tidbit of info on whether they were about to tour(no one knew at the time) or an album update.

His answer?

This is revealing for obvious reasons...

- The "hard at work on Chinese Democracy 24/7" myth  has now been shattered.

- If they haven't been together for four years...what in the hell have they been doing?

- With that little contact with the GNR camp, can any of their past or current updates (at the time) be trusted?

- If something is going on, would they even know?

Pretty interesting info to learn thanks to a simple answer from a drunk Dizzy to a frat boy.

Had the leaks not happened however many weeks after this, it would've become a much bigger deal than the mere footnote of 2006 it became.

Pretty sure Duff was in the “new lineup” even before the reunion.

Yeah...a few shows during the Ashba years. What a waste. I'd love to have known his honest feelings on that lineup. He had one reason to be involved...as the bridge between Axl and Slash.

I'd love to see the alternate timeline where
Duff learns the songs in 2006 and Tommy doesn't come back...no offense to Tommy.

Regardless of what happened or any tension with Slash, this allows a speed run towards the reunion.

Imagine opening night at Hammerstein when everyone is speculating on who it's going to be...

Axl, Duff, and Izzy are onstage. Only thing standing in the way of a reunion is Finck..and he tires of it and is gone in a year...maybe quicker in this scenario. Bumblefoot too but it's easy peasy to drop the 3rd guitarist slot.

Tommy was the leader of all those versions of GNR
he was the one running the whole show
you can especially hear it if you listen to the in-ear monitor sound boards

Duff could take over running the show in three shakes of a lamb's tail.

It would've been interesting to say the least. Duff involved at that point as the 2006 tour gets underway changes the dynamics of the band immediately.

Instead of Axl and then everyone else...you've got Axl...and then down in the trenches  with the new guns you've got an OG who probably views all of them as placeholders...and the cherry on top is another OG making guest appearances.

I bet Finck would've loved that....

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

he was juggling lineups and scenarios up until taking the stage.

Mentioned it before.  He should have picked ONE scenario and went forward with it.  He lost a lot of money and wasted time by doing what he did.

I guess most of the negative Axl comments about Slash in 2008 and forward stem from whatever happened in 2006 that scuttled the reunion and some comments made in Slash's book.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Tommy was pretty much responsible for bullying Bucket out of the band too. That Brain interview where he talks about how upset Bucket was that they wouldn’t release the album is just sad, man. He was definitely into it and just wanted the album released.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
misterID wrote:

Tommy was pretty much responsible for bullying Bucket out of the band too. That Brain interview where he talks about how upset Bucket was that they wouldn’t release the album is just sad, man. He was definitely into it and just wanted the album released.

Yeah I cant imagine how frustrated BH must have been, at that point in his career he was putting out about one album per year, in 2002 I think he had like three come out, so in the time he was in GNR, he put out like 9 albums and GNR couldn't even put out one. im sure BH also wanted to play all the CD songs he was on instead of covering all those AFD songs.

Its a shame we never got to hear BH play TWAT live.

Board footer