You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Favorite Guns N'Roses Songs? :)

FlashFlood wrote:

Slash’s intro gives me chills every time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

A friend played the two demos (as well as the Perkins Palace bootleg) during a poker game in December ‘89

I really hate how I missed out on hearing bootlegs/imports during that period. My local record stores didn't sell that stuff at the time.

I didn't get a taste of GNR bootlegs until late 94/early 95 when I was browsing through CDs and found one called GNR Unplugged. I looked at it, turned it over, and saw Dead Flowers on the tracklist. I almost shit my pants. I bought it and the owner let me order a bunch of bootlegs from his catalog.

I wasted a few grand on that shit.

Yes....SCOM is epic. While It's So Easy is technically my favorite song from the album, SCOM is probably the best song from the late 1980s. Compare it to all the ballads from that era... nothing else comes close.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

This is tougher than it sounds. Obviously I could list a bunch of favorite songs but it would be like 20-30 songs. To make a top 5 or even a top 10 would be pretty hard. It's hard to even single out a couple of really big guns.

I think I have to categorize them.

1. Songs you play to people who say GN'R sucks:
-Locomotive
-My Michelle

I tried to come up with a third song but I think maybe that's it? You can't call any of those songs boring, pretentious, gay or that Axl sounds like the neighbourhood cat.

2: Songs you play to girls:
-NR
-Don't Cry
-Patience
-SCOM

Lots to choose from here. Had to make it a top 4.

3. Songs you play to show that GN'R is more than just sleazerock and ballads:
-DTJ
-The Garden
-Coma

4. Songs you play when you just want to get drunk and kick in a window:
-Jungle
-Nightrain
-YCBM

5. Party songs:
-PC
-Used to Love Her
-KOHD

6. Songs you play when you want to show this Axl dude can be fucking edgy:
-One In A Million

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

This is tougher than it sounds. Obviously I could list a bunch of favorite songs but it would be like 20-30 songs. To make a top 5 or even a top 10 would be pretty hard. It's hard to even single out a couple of really big guns.

I think I have to categorize them.

1. Songs you play to people who say GN'R sucks:
-Locomotive
-My Michelle

I tried to come up with a third song but I think maybe that's it? You can't call any of those songs boring, pretentious, gay or that Axl sounds like the neighbourhood cat.

Over the years I've always noticed that Civil War really seems to be the one GnR song non fans and even those who say they suck can agree on and say is a great song. If I were to show a non fan a GnR song it would be Civil war and then possibly Nightrain.

polluxlm wrote:

4. Songs you play when you just want to get drunk and kick in a window:
-Jungle
-Nightrain
-YCBM

I would add It's So easy to this. Also you're right about Jungle.  in terms of firing up a crowd, Welcome to the Jungle is THE song. It gets played regularly at sporting events to this day and does the trick every single time.

polluxlm wrote:

5. Party songs:
-PC
-Used to Love Her
-KOHD

I can't say I agree with KOHD or Used to Love here being in this category. I'd pick songs like Rocket Queen and Mr. Brownstone instead of those two.

Board footer