You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Libertad Fails - Will nuGNR follow?

Intercourse wrote:

VR peeps,
Is the arc that VR are following an inevitable one for Axl & Co too?
Folks tuned into VR in their millions because they were excited about 3/5 of the most widely recognised GNR being back together. Scott was a factor in that curiousity I'm sure of that but the further from the US you go the less of a reality that becomes.

They got a listen to CB and decided that it wasn't AFD so they were off.

Are nu-GNR under the same level of risk? From what you have heard so far TWAT, Better, The Blues etc, do you feel they have enough quality material and enigmatic and memorable band members to bring back the casual fan for Round II?

Sadly, I don't think so.. I hope I'm wrong but I think Axl thinks it's the nineties where his band will be ubiquitous again and enforce total domination of the sales and airwaves in a time where that no longer seems possible (unless you're Maroon 5... 13 million debut albums sold and they SUCK!!)

It could be a very weird world for these megastars by 2009, possibly a very quiet one...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think that what we expect of GnR sales from the past will never be equaled in the present day.

doesnt mean the music sucks necessarily, its just people dont buy stuff today....downloading is really hurting album sales

but on the other forum we were talking about libertad sales and it came out that the Smashing pumpkins debut actually sold less than Libertad and it was pretty hotly anticipated, smae with megadeth and Ozzy, niether one sold particularily well, but megadeth's was on par with their past 2 releases in sales.

i think that its just the nature of music these days, Hard Rock is in a bit of a dead period....like you said Maroon 5 sells well while other, more appealing bands to you or i, go by the way side. It also speaks about the age od listeners.

I dunno how old you are, but the age group that actually buys records doesnt listen to this kinda music right now. the ones who are fans of gnr or vr or ozzy or megadeth are all grown up with cars, houses and kids they got more important things to blow their cash on

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

CD will likely follow the same course as VR did, although Cd sales might be a little bit better. The album isn't going to set the world on fire. The era we live in will prevent that, even if its a masterpiece. If Axl was looking for huge record sales, he should have followed through back in the 01-02 time period. In 2008 he will be lucky if the album reaches gold status. The media is going to decide how this album does. If the media doesn't push the album, it will be lucky to sell 100,000 copies.

They have to hit a grand slam with the opening single.

Russ, alot of people use the term 'nu' or 'new' when talking about the current lineup. Its a way to differentiate between the two. Even Axl referred to them as that on the Trunk show.

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

It will defintiely sell more than Libertad. Absolutely.

Look at it this way, MTV cares - they are gonna promote it (award shows, Axl appearances, the Kurt Loder factor). Rolling Stone definitely cares - they are going to promote all over their website, their magazine (cover, articles, reviews). The curiousity factor with casual fans who have been waiting a LONG time will buy it.

It most definitely will not live up to 14 years of work, but, it won't bomb. It'll sell well, me thinks.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

on a side note....i wonder if they will redefine the levels of album certification hmm

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

on a side note....i wonder if they will redefine the levels of album certification hmm

Thats something that seriously needs to be taken into consideration. Things are so bad, I think Gold status should change from 500,000 copies to 50,000. M.I.A. had huge media interest and a successful tour and Kala just dropped off the Billboard 200 with around 80,000 sold. I think in this era it is definitely worthy of gold status. Had the album been released in the 90's it would have went platinum.

Brokenglass, thats a big assumption that MTV will push this album. It might, but no way in hell will GNR get a ton of rotation on MTV. At the most they will get some promo on their website and maybe an award nomination at the VMA's. As far as Loder goes, he no longer cares.

I've been saying this for years, but I think Axl and the GNR camp should try and get a huge push on Fuse. I think that would translate into more album sales because the people watching MTV are not going to drive to a record store and buy Chinese Democracy. They wont even buy the albums from the artists MTV shoves down their throats and they claim to love, but you think they're gonna buy an album made by a guy approaching 50? Not likely.

AtariLegend wrote:

It will sell more and it will be better.... And more people will be interested.

Although its not exactly gonna break the 30 million mark...

But as much as he may or may not have redeemerwhore.gif

Theres no denying how good it will be.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

CD will be fine. I think Libertad "failed" becuase of the first single released. I dont think they marketed it very well.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Nobody other than the band and it's associates are going to push the album if it ever comes out.  Why would they?  gnr doesn't sell anymore - as the people that love the new band like to point out, this isn't 1991 anymore.  gnr appeals to mostly an older audiance that isn't watching the reality bullshit on MTV , so there is no motivation for MTV to push it.  Maybe VH1 Classic, but that in itself tells the story.

CD will outsell Libertad, but it might not outsell Contraband.  Either way, this band won't have staying power.  If there is another gnr album released after CD (I know, ha ha ha), it will see the same results as Libertad once the curiosity factor is gone.

Board footer