You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Libertad Fails - Will nuGNR follow?

James wrote:

JB, its the times we are living in. Even quality albums aren't doing well. There's too many free downloaders.

CD could be the best album this decade and it could still have trouble reaching gold status. Millions could be listening but it never translate into huge album sales.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Libertad was kind of a weird example. Not sure why it was brought up. But the comparison to CB, about being a big seller followed by little success, is fair. A lot of curiosity listens based on the pedigree of VR's members and GNR. VR could not turn the initial interest into long-term success, and we're discussing if GNR will go the same way or if they'll pull in a big audience for years to come.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

With shows and a target audience like The Hills, Laguna Beach etc MTV has little desire for GnR.  There isn't much demand from a audience of big sunglassed, flip-flop youth.  MTV alone plays very little video's & their sister channels mostly leaves for rap. VH1 classic was mentioned, and Fuse. That isn't going to sell 2 million records.

To be fair, I think the OP was asking will GnR's first album have alot of sales out of curiousity, then the second one slip due to lessened interest. I think we all know it's useless right now to talk about GnR's 2nd album, when CD isn't in sight.  If CD ever comes out, I think it'd sell similar to Linkin Parks last release sales-wise. I don't know exactly what it sold but I'd guess CD about 500,000-800,000. Maybe 1 mil.

I don't think changing the statistics for Gold, Platinum etc will be done. Instead tracking of (legal) downloads will be kept (1 million downloads etc)

Yea i really hate pirating sad   This day and age it sucks for people in the music business and in the movie business and in my business.    I wish something could be done to really stop it, but everytime they find a way, the pirates find a whole new way to do their thing sad

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Can't fix a bad branch by censoring the leaves.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

if you release shit music, of course its not going to do well.

"MC Hammer" got away with it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

Yea i really hate pirating sad   This day and age it sucks for people in the music business and in the movie business and in my business.    I wish something could be done to really stop it, but everytime they find a way, the pirates find a whole new way to do their thing sad

The sad thing is that I have become one of the leechers. I used to be a major buyer of cds, and have literally mountains of cds in my house. The majority of them in boxes filling the closet of one of my spare bedrooms. I got into downloading the past couple years because there wasn't much new stuff that interested me, and what did, I would just download a variety of songs from those artists. I have been getting into more rap, electronica, euro pop, and R & B lately, and have not bought any albums from those artists. Stuff like Christina Milan, Rhianna, New Young Pony Club, Peaches, etc. That has not translated into album purchases.

When I am a hardcore fan of an artist who has released an album, such as M.I.A. or BH, I will buy the album to show support. In the case of BH he releases too much material for people to buy, and he actually encourages downloading by doing that.

Now that I am in the habit of downloading, its hard to get out of it. Its like a drug.

I'm not into pirating movies though. I like seeing films in the theater, and as far as home watching goes, I have a subscription to Netflix and I watch films through their service. Last movie I downloaded was Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning many months ago, and since I had already paid to see it in theaters before downloading the bootleg copy, I didn't consider it piracy.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

russtcb wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Russ, alot of people use the term 'nu' or 'new' when talking about the current lineup. Its a way to differentiate between the two. Even Axl referred to them as that on the Trunk show.

I would think that since we're discussing the later in this thread that people wouldn't need differentiate.

+1

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

JB, its the times we are living in. Even quality albums aren't doing well.

Back to Black is selling pretty well at the moment...well, it has been for quite some time now....and how would you explain the 200.000-odd a year which AFD still manages to rake up?...GH is still selling by a truckload in comparison with similar compilations....surely, people would much rather download that material, especially the older one than go out and buy it?

Board footer