You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: GNR or NIN?

polluxlm wrote:

Thank you Arnold! NIN just wouldn't have been the same thing. Completely different type of music.

In a movie like the Terminator you want something badass, not angsty, depressed rocker. Regardless how great that can be.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow...that's an interesting alternate timeline.

That's a really good song but like Polluxlm pointed out, it doesn't really gel with the vibe of an early 90s action film.

Now in today's action/superhero movies? It would definitely work. My God....I've heard garbage rap/hip hop songs during action sequences.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Terminator 2 still had an 80s feel to it so the NIN song would not have worked at all, imo.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

NiN has a creepy feel which I could see working in a random T-1000 sequence, but for the iconic bike chase stuff you really needed that GNR vibe....I mean teenage John Connor although a kid kinda summed up the rebellious outlaw vibe of GNR.

Interesting though...like the YCBM clip and the T2 crossover was a big deal here (and I assume globally) I mean GNR was already famous of course but I think it probably got a whole wave of casuals into it. Hell...I know those UYI singles were huge on me and my friends as teens.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

YCBM I’d say is what really grabbed me, and made me go in search of GN’R albums to buy. And UYI 2 on cassette ended up being my first GN’R item I purchased.

Soon after, I dug back through the rest of their small catalogue, and became the mega fan, that’s kept me here some 30+ years later.

It’s weird to think when I was discovering GN’R back then, that 30 years later, we’d only get one more album of original material under the GN’R name.

Back on topic, in 1991, Trent’s NIN genius hadn’t quite caught on with the rest of the world. That came later with 1994’s The Downward Spiral. So who knows if exposure for NIN on a big budget film like T2, may have actually helped get them popularity sooner?

Sky Dog wrote:

Agree….Guns was taking off and it was perfect timing for the band and the movie.

NIN was still basically alt rock industrial and wouldn’t come close to bringing in the audience Gnr would and did bring.

Board footer