You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: NFL 2022/23 season

James wrote:

Any Super Bowl matchups you always wanted to see or games that should've happened?

In the 21st century....tops on my list is Bears vs Ravens in that brief period in the mid 2000s when both teams were in contention.

As far as 80s-90s goes....

I'm with Chris Berman...it's a crime that the world didn't get a Bills-49ers SB between 1990-95. It should've happened at least once.

The one year that Young leads them to the SB, Bills shit the bed and we wind up with the Chargers of all teams. 17

While not a fan, I would've liked to have seen the Browns when Bernie Kosar was their QB make it once in that 85-87 period. Just couldn't beat Denver. They would've lost anyways to either the Bears, 49ers, Giants, or Redskins but would've been a bit more interesting than another blowout against Elway.

Here's a couple that would've been massive had they occurred....

Battle of the Bay

49ers vs Raiders

Only a small window for this one to happen (82-84, 89-90) as the Raiders went into a major decline. If the matchup happened today, it wouldn't mean anything.

Battle on Broadway

Jets vs Giants

Imagine the insanity of this. Unfortunately...chances of this ever happening were always near zero as they never aligned with good teams. Like the Raiders, Jets were a shitty team for eons. Parcels almost got em there in 98-99 but the Giants weren't a hot team in that period.

Unlike the 49ers-Raiders....this one can still happen.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Vikings-Broncos 98.  I would have liked to have seen Broncos try to slow down Moss.  And it would have been cool to see Cunningham in a super bowl after all the PHI playoff chokes/bad losses in the early 90s.

And this is a personal pick for me Oilers-Cowboys in one of those 90s years.  Moon was a choker and they would have did their thing where they led for a while before self destructing and Warren throwing a clutch int.

49ers Steelers would have been interesting in the Young SB year.  Although no one was beating SF that year, they were fucking LOADED in 94.

Chargers-Bears in 2006.  Assume that SD doesn't choke against NE and beats IND, we got that loaded Bears D and ST that was scoring all over the place vs the Chargers who had 6 all pros that year.  You have Marty Schotenheimer finally in a super bowl after all those bad losses.  Bears still had Grossman as Qb.  I think they still lose but who knows.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Don’t the modern versions of Madden allow you to load legacy rosters with the teams of Yesteryear and have them simulate a game? With the quality of players in the game today,   You can create any game you want to see.

James

James wrote:

Vikings-Broncos 98.  I would have liked to have seen Broncos try to slow down Moss.  And it would have been cool to see Cunningham in a super bowl after all the PHI playoff chokes/bad losses in the early 90s.

I forgot that one. Yeah...high on the list.

Still crazy how Atlanta beat them.  They were unstoppable until that game.

I might watch that game tonight if I can find it on YouTube.

Flagg...I don't think Madden does that. They do have the All Madden thing... kinda like a pro bowl of legends.

If they started having all the classic teams, time to buy a new Madden game.

James

James wrote:

Eagles vs Giants

Giants....that team is scary. They're one of those teams  you don't want to play.

Whoever wins this is going to the Superbowl IMO.

Yeah....I'm sticking with this.

Eagles win.

I know I complain every now and then but I don't like the parity era. One year it's the Rams on a major run...next year it's the Eagles.... who's next...the Browns?!?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Man did KC get some favorable calls against Cincy.  I know people like to say the NFL is rigged and they wanted Mahomes in the SB over Cincinnati, and there may be some truth to that.  But ultimately Cincinnati could've overcome all those bad calls that went against them.  They just played like assholes down the stretch.

I like the Eagles over the Chiefs.  I know they've played a really easy schedule and haven't faced many good or even decent QBs this year, but I just think they're a more well rounded team.  Mahomes is obviously a huge factor and the Chiefs have the experience but Hurts ain't so bad himself.

And Tom Brady announced his retirement (again) today.  I think this time it's for real.  This season was draining for him on and off the field.  He should've just stayed retired looking back, but he's such a competitor.  Easier said than done.  He just looked checked out this year at times and didn't seem to have that same fire.  I know they got killed against the Cowboys, but even when they were showing some signs of life he just didn't have that same intensity.  The Bucs sneakily sucked this year, and Brady wasn't the issue.  Problem is though, in years past he has done more with less talented rosters.  They still had good WR and a decent defense.  But their run game was non existent and the offensive line was pretty awful all around.  I think he finally just had enough and it's become too difficult to lift a team onto his shoulders like he's done so many times in the past.  I was blessed to see him play in every home game and some on the road in person from 2007-2019.  I can certainly tell you it's a far different experience and feeling walking into Gillette Stadium post Brady.  With Brady, you never thought they were out of it despite how bleak things may have looked.  There will never be another winner like him.  Yes, the rules are catered to QBs these days, but multiple guys go down every week with serious injuries.  Tom Brady didn't miss a single game after he missed basically the entire 2008 season with a torn ACL/MCL.  He played 14 god damn seasons straight without missing a game at a position where he's in harm's way basically every offensive play.  That is probably even more impressive than the 7 SB rings.  Mahomes is great, but how long is he going to last?  He's had some pretty serious injuries in his short career so far.  And most of the other young stud QBs use their legs a lot more and are more susceptible to big hits.  Pure pocket passers with great pocket awareness are a dying breed.  So we may see QBs with greater abilities for a shorter time.  But no one will be putting up the numbers he was still putting up in his god damn mid 40s.  Ridiculous!  The best to ever do it, hands down.

James

James wrote:

I don't pay attention during off-season... barely pay attention during the season...but I just found out Aaron Rodgers was traded to the Jets.

It would be huge if it happened 5-10 years ago. Not sure how much it can move the needle at this point. On the other hand...Jets were the top team last year until a total freefall mid-season. Maybe a veteran QB could have prevented such a slide.

How the fuck can he make 60 million a year? Talk about overvalued. I didn't realize NFL salaries were that out of control.

The best to ever do it, hands down.

That would be Montana....who won 4 SBs in a league that wasn't friendly to quarterbacks and was facing some incredible defenses. He should've won 6 SBs actually...he had to literally be knocked out cold by NY and Buffalo to prevent it.

You could also make a case for a 7th....Seifert should've benched Young in that NFC championship against Dallas. Montana was practically drooling on the sidelines.

it's become too difficult to lift a team onto his shoulders like he's done so many times in the past

Parity finally swung the other way for him. He benefitted greatly from it until the final chapter of his career.

My favorite Brady period is Tampa. He got to experience what so many other QBs have hoped to do... immediately win a SB with your new team.

I still feel sorry for Bledsoe. Goes down randomly during the season from a pulled hamstring (or whatever it was) and this guy nobody knows or cares about steps into the breech and starts making history.

at a position where he's in harm's way basically every offensive play.  That is probably even more impressive than the 7 SB rings

It is impressive...but he did it in the league when QBs were more protected....a LOT more protected.

This is one of the main reasons I can't rank him top 10 all time. He never had to deal with what all the other iconic QBs were enduring throughout their careers.

The 7 SBs are mainly impressive on the surface. He was on the sole dynasty in the parity era. He probably should've had more.

That many SBs would've been impossible in the 20th century....the competition was too fierce and QBs were injured too often to sustain that level of wins.

4 was the ceiling....and not surprising that it was only achieved twice.

Pure pocket passers with great pocket awareness are a dying breed.

Yeah... he was similar to Montana in the sense that it was almost like having a coach out on the field.

Board footer