You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: UYI Box tracklist unveiled?

monkeychow wrote:

I kinda hope so.

Like i see it as live music is a fun transitory experience but the records are forever.

So like I would hate to see them record lesser versions of songs just cos they are easier to replicate live.

Like at this point even if the whole band nails Jungle it's probably not going to be as good as 1988 jungle or whatever. That's just life.

So if they need to use studio tricks, and gadgets and 1000 takes to create the ultimate version of some new song so be it, cos in 2070 the band probably won't be alive but someone will be listening to that record they made.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I'd rather the songs be reworked to fit into his midrange singing voice ... he hasn't been able to decently sing in his upper register in a while ... at least imo

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah something has to be done. They may have to rework it so he can talk the songs like Jagger.

The first step should be shortening the set. This isn't 1991...no one is expecting 3 hour shows. Hell...we almost left Oakland in 2017 during our show.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I mean i guess that's what has to happen given they make their money touring.

But on an art front...the records live on well after they die.

So like i kinda want the studio versions to remain impressive even if they never do it live.

Take IRS...epic scream on the album that Axl never did live. I'm ok with that. Worth having it on the album.

So here we are with songs like Eye On You and State of Grace that have cool high pitched vocals. Even if Axl can't do it for shit live anymore I would be really sad to see them not released that way on record. One day there will be no live shows and GNR will be a band like hendrix and so on that some kids will get into as a nostalga-dead act. I want them to be able to hear monster super human vocals given some of them live on tape already...not like toned down vocals that were developed to facilitate a retirement tour.

I don't mean to sound like a dick saying that.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

You are definitely right.
All right ... I agree with you.
But I.R.S. in 2006 in Milan Axl did it great. He was 44 years old. I was there. We were all delighted.
Great.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

2022 Version of November Rain is here…

Honestly, the new orchestration adds things that are unnecessary. The original is so ingrained in my brain, that additional instrumentation just sounds weird.

Also, Axl’s vocals on the outro sound weird too. Like they’re higher in the mix.
Again, because the original is so ingrained in my brain, any differences stand out like a sore thumb.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I liked it. The additional orchestrations seemed pretty subtle to me, but yeah, you notice them right away. This is a completely different mix, imo. The vocals are def mixed differently, and the piano outro is much more prominent.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'm torn...

I mean in a way it's beautiful to hear all the instruments with modern separation in the mix, and the instrumental parts are charming using real instruments.

On the other hand, there's some aspects I'm not sure about, the guitars building up to the outro seem sort of slightly neutered and well...I dunno there's nothing wrong with it as such...it's just the original is one of the greatest recordings of all time AS IS....so like it's a bit like the shot for shot remake of pyscho....interesting but why?

I think maybe at this stage as an old man, i've heard NR thousands if not hundreds of thousands of times as the 1991 version...to me this is cool the way a random live version is cool...but I'm just so invested in the original now that anything else sounds "wrong" even if it's technically better.

SlashMcKagan
 Rep: 0 

SlashMcKagan wrote:

I like the way the drums sound on this version.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Subtle and unnecessary. There is absolutely no reason to do this when the original was perfect. I like the Robin Finck version of SCOM a lot more than this. At least that was something truly different which made it interesting.

Give me the rerecorded AFD any day. That would be cool.

Board footer