You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Scabbie wrote:

Interesting story, not one I heard before, thank you. He's definitely a complex personality!

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Remember that time in 2006 when Axl showed up at Derek Trucks' show at the Roxy and hung out with them afterwards? Five years ago, members of the Big Damn Band shed a little more light on how it was to hang out with him in Trucks' tour bus. They mention how they were wary at the time to spill the beans to the media despite numerous call-ups around the world. A lot of fans have disliked their story, because it paints Ax in a little... unfavorable light.

https://pca.st/eh1qwdxz#t=1592

Do I believe their story? In essence, yes. They met Axl, for sure. They remember his then-age correctly (44yrs). He was interested in getting Derek to play on CD. This was in February, a few months before Ron was begged to join the band. All that stuff checks out in terms of timelines.

They describe Axl as pretty easygoing at first. During the afterparty, he takes in loads of Patron tequila. No more Mr Nice Guy. After some left-field events like a call from his stepsister Amy Bailey to inform him of a newborn nephew/niece, Axl storms into Derek's tour bus, where the others have already gathered. He insists everybody listens to some CD tracks. His abrasiveness kills the mood and he intimidates everybody. Derek's wife passes out, the BDB members scuffle out at the first opportunity. Derek is left alone with Axl. He manages to loose Axl at the parking lot and hides under a car. Axl's handlers presumably find him wandering around, utterly wasted, hollering at the out-of-sight Derek.

It's a rare and, I'd say, pretty believable look into his mindscape in that era. That's likely the routine TB have had to deal with repeatedly when he's had too much to drink in a social setting. Had he presented the offer differently, Derek might've even guested on CD. But this is how Axl rolls. It's sort of amazing that he got people like Bucket to join the band in the first place. Has he really changed that much since? I doubt. It's something of a miracle he's kept the touring act together all these years.

Totally believable. I think that year also had the Tommy Hilfigger incident. They also oddly at some point promoted some tequilla brand.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Well his unpredictable nature is well-documented

Thanks for the article tho

Sky Dog wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Interesting story, not one I heard before, thank you. He's definitely a complex personality!

He’s a nut!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah that's a bat poop crazy story. I never saw that much detail before. Yikes.

No wonder everything went tits up during that period.

Sky Dog wrote:

I use to see Derek Trucks when he was 13 years old in bars in Atlanta. He was a prodigy and is a monster guitar player. He was always destined to be in the Allman Brothers at some point. He’s like Bucket…a true artist.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

It was reported briefly in 2006 but was not given too much attention. It all matches:
https://blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose- … n-new-york

'Axl was reported to have left the scene with a "crazy stare."'
Unfortunately the blog on MySpace is not accessible anymore.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He also bit that Swedish hotel guy in the foot that summer. In the foot!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Lol...just lol

Board footer