You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

misterID wrote:

If Se7en and Soul Monster are really in circulation right now, let’s talk

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:
James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

If those songs hadn't leaked.....they wouldn't have been released.

That's a pattern for 21st century GNR. If leaks don't happen.... nothing gets released.

Only reason Chinese Democracy had three unheard songs is because they needed to pad out the album.

Yeah, but my point is... you don't get to complain that a song "isn't new" to you when you made the conscious decision to download an incomplete demo version of it before the artist chose to release it. If you'd chosen not to listen to it, then the song would be new to you if/when the polished, Slashified version popped up on Spotify (if indeed it ever did so).

That goes double when we had no inkling that many of the near-complete tracks from the lock-up auction, like Perhaps, existed. If Axl had chosen to release them on his own timetable, for all we knew they would've been entirely new songs cooked up by the NITL lineup. They certainly would've represented music that was new to us.

Would Axl have released them without the demos leaking? Who can say; it's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

I get what you're saying now.

After CD was released and how anticlimactic it was, I swore to myself I would ignore all leaks so I could properly experience a new GNR album....an experience I hadn't had since I was a teenager.

Of course...that was when we were expecting its followup on a normal timetable. I know some other fans felt the same.

It quickly reached the point where I just said fuck it....if it leaks....I listen.

Why wait when two things could happen....

They go years without releasing the leaked material

I drop dead from a heart attack or get run over by a bus

It's a very unusual, strange band to be a fan of. Absolutely nothing substantial is guaranteed to occur....and more than likely won't.

It's why the hardcore base 100% jumped all over that box set like Roseanne Barr on a loose meat sandwich.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY is not disappointing.
BETTER,STREET OF DREAMS,THERE WAS A TIME,SCRAPED,SORRY,THIS I LOVE,I.R.S.,are great songs...SCHACKLER and IF THE WORLD are good...what disappointed you?

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

So, in the last month:

1.We got that Slash NAMM pic with the visible setlist where the only thing new was Breakdown in the alts
2.Richard Fortus gives an interview where he doesn't even tease new music like he usually does, only saying that "Hopefully we'll shake things up a bit and switch around songs"

It's starting to feel like the shutters are going down on 2023.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Which is tough, that Absurd/Hardschool release really whet my appetite for the other few they did at the same time.

In August it will be 2 years I think.

I would be down with waiting out 2024 if we knew it would happen in 2025 but realistically it feels like ever year I write off the year and hope for next year.

I remember in 2016 being convinced the reunion album would happen before 2020 big_smile

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Which is tough, that Absurd/Hardschool release really whet my appetite for the other few they did at the same time.

In August it will be 2 years I think.

I would be down with waiting out 2024 if we knew it would happen in 2025 but realistically it feels like ever year I write off the year and hope for next year.

I remember in 2016 being convinced the reunion album would happen before 2020 big_smile

It's bizarre though. Axl seemed to have more fun singing Absurd than anything else in the entire reunion era. He was the most animated on stage since around 2010. And yet he seems to prefer keeping the setlist stale. Maybe his enthusiasm had less to do with Absurd being "new" and more to do with it being very easy for him to sing?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Kikkoman80 wrote:
James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Yeah, but my point is... you don't get to complain that a song "isn't new" to you when you made the conscious decision to download an incomplete demo version of it before the artist chose to release it. If you'd chosen not to listen to it, then the song would be new to you if/when the polished, Slashified version popped up on Spotify (if indeed it ever did so).

That goes double when we had no inkling that many of the near-complete tracks from the lock-up auction, like Perhaps, existed. If Axl had chosen to release them on his own timetable, for all we knew they would've been entirely new songs cooked up by the NITL lineup. They certainly would've represented music that was new to us.

Would Axl have released them without the demos leaking? Who can say; it's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

I get what you're saying now.

After CD was released and how anticlimactic it was, I swore to myself I would ignore all leaks so I could properly experience a new GNR album....an experience I hadn't had since I was a teenager.

Of course...that was when we were expecting its followup on a normal timetable. I know some other fans felt the same.

It quickly reached the point where I just said fuck it....if it leaks....I listen.

Why wait when two things could happen....

They go years without releasing the leaked material

I drop dead from a heart attack or get run over by a bus

It's a very unusual, strange band to be a fan of. Absolutely nothing substantial is guaranteed to occur....and more than likely won't.

It's why the hardcore base 100% jumped all over that box set like Roseanne Barr on a loose meat sandwich.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY is not disappointing.
BETTER,STREET OF DREAMS,THERE WAS A TIME,SCRAPED,SORRY,THIS I LOVE,I.R.S.,are great songs...SCHACKLER and IF THE WORLD are good...what disappointed you?

We had been listening to most of the songs for a decade at that point...the earlier leaks were superior to the album, and the songs were cut and paste hell.

Chinese Democracy is not a pleasurable listening experience.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Absolutely.

The confirmation will be when nothing happens as the tour gets underway.

They need a song to help promote this lackluster tour and if they don't release one by the time this shindig is underway, they simply don't give a shit either way.

Waiting out 2024?!? You would give them a 2 year free pass on top of how long you've already waited?

I guarantee one of two things happen by 2025....

1. Announcement of a Farewell tour

2. The band goes on a lengthy hiatus....to return a few years later for a farewell tour

There's no more lengthy waits left in the fan base or band.  Isn't it obvious? They're hemorrhaging what's left of their hardcore base and they're in their 60s.

We're not all in our prime anymore where we can collectively dig a trench to experience another 10-15 year wait.

Time is running out....and giving them two year free passes is essentially admitting that nothing is ever going to materialize.

It's reached the point of now or never.

Axl seemed to have more fun singing Absurd than anything else in the entire reunion era.

Of course. It was something "new".

My theory is all the various covers 2016-23 and beyond were added because they were bored to tears playing their own songs.

That YCBM clip I watched last year was crazy....they looked like they'd rather be anywhere else.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

In retrospect, they have been doing everything for a while now for money.  Yeah, I know all musicians do this. CD release, you can't tell me a big portion of it wasn't to clear out the debts accumulated by Axl on recording that album.  On mygnr a while back, someone was going over financials and at some point, they had to tour to raise cash for something/or just needed the money.  This was before Slash/Duff returned and was in the 2000s sometime.

Slash and Duff returned purely for the money and in search of the money they lost when they left the partnership in the late 90s.  They haven't been "artists" at least in GNR for a long time.  The only way we are getting new music if it someone leaks something. And that's pretty sad.   Also explains, how Slash/Duff deal with the clown show GNR management.  They don't care as long as the money keeps on rolling in.  When they do the solo stuff, they use their own managers (ie actual professionals).

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

In retrospect, they have been doing everything for a while now for money.  Yeah, I know all musicians do this. CD release, you can't tell me a big portion of it wasn't to clear out the debts accumulated by Axl on recording that album.  On mygnr a while back, someone was going over financials and at some point, they had to tour to raise cash for something/or just needed the money.  This was before Slash/Duff returned and was in the 2000s sometime.

Slash and Duff returned purely for the money and in search of the money they lost when they left the partnership in the late 90s.  They haven't been "artists" at least in GNR for a long time.  The only way we are getting new music if it someone leaks something. And that's pretty sad.   Also explains, how Slash/Duff deal with the clown show GNR management.  They don't care as long as the money keeps on rolling in.  When they do the solo stuff, they use their own managers (ie actual professionals).

“As long as the money keeps rolling in” … well what happens this NA tour when the venues they sold out in 2021 are 3/4 capacity or worse? I bought the nightrain membership for Boston GA tix at 400 a pop and can still happily go get them for face value.

Answer: not new music probably. They are far more likely to 1/ stop touring or 2/ wait a while and do a “farewell” tour.

Edit: still waiting for my Nightrain merch.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

We had been listening to most of the songs for a decade at that point...the earlier leaks were superior to the album, and the songs were cut and paste hell.

Chinese Democracy is not a pleasurable listening experience.

Exactly. Add the messed up lyric booklet, lack of promised alternate covers, and sloppy mastering of “Catcher” and it adds up to a major letdown.

Board footer