You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Couso
 Rep: 1 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Couso wrote:

my review of Glastonbury...

CIVIL FUCKING WAR... CIVIL FUCKING WAR LADS.... FUCKING CIVIL FUCKING WAR FUCKERS!!!

I love this band.

<Message ends>

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Reviews seem generally positive:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ … amid-stage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66011512

Broadly speaking the tone seems to be: "Axl's voice isn't what it used to be, but he fully commits, running around like a mad thing and sometimes manages to pull off the classic screams, Slash is iconic, an impressively long set but for the casuals in Glastonbury maybe they should've left some of the deep cuts on the shelf."

Lana Del Rey actually did GN'R a massive favour by turning up late to her slot and having her set cut short, because it means that all the reviewers are "pleasantly surprised" that GN'R showed up on time, because it's apparently news to them despite the band having been religiously punctual since fucking 2016.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Yes I saw about Lana Del Rey. Most  reviews of Arctic Monkeys were unfavourable as well so I think GNR fayred well in comparison. Lets be honest there’s a fairly influential and vocal group who seem to think the headline spots for Glastonbury should be reserved exclusively for whichever artist ticks the most ‘persecuted minority’ boxes that year. GNR was never going to play well with them.

With that said I caught a bit of Christine and the Queens set after GNR. She is now a he apparently but fuck me what a voice.

The show itself was good. Axl looked like this one really mattered to him. He wasn’t helped by his sound guy though, they only seemed to tune his mic in halfway through every line. It looks like it was better at the show so maybe a tv feed issue? I thought Duff and Frank looked pretty tense and only seemed to relax into it half way through. Slash nailed it, some great icon photos of him from last night doing the rounds. Agree on the setlist comments, songs like CD, Slither, Absurd could have been left out to tighten it up a bit. A casual audience probably doesnt need them.

A bit dissppointed the only guest spot was Dave Grohl. He’s a crowd pleaser so it went down well but I was quietly hopeful of Elton on NR but nevermind.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Triple H wrote:

Knockin On Heaven's Door's peak was the Freddie tribute.

While that is a good performance...the song is already bloated by that point.

Lets be honest there’s a fairly influential and vocal group who seem to think the headline spots for Glastonbury should be reserved exclusively for whichever artist ticks the most ‘persecuted minority’ boxes that year.

God I'm so sick of this shit.

They can't allow anything to be normal anymore.

Broadly speaking the tone seems to be: "Axl's voice isn't what it used to be, but he fully commits, running around like a mad thing and sometimes manages to pull off the classic screams, Slash is iconic, an impressively long set but for the casuals in Glastonbury maybe they should've left some of the deep cuts on the shelf."

Yeah...thats a pretty good nutshell of the situation at this point.

Not great... not bad.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

https://i.redd.it/uxsw4xabw78b1.png
Looks like Axl is backstage, could be he's guesting with Elton

Scrap that I doubt it pic may be from yesterday

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

That would be cool.

Probably sitting on the side of the stage watching the performance

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Elton was excellent. Not convinced Axl would have been good enough for the show.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Elton just stole the show to be fair. What a way to sign off.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I’d love to hear Grohl isolated to know exactly what he is playing on PC. Seems more like a pantomime.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I read a few of the bad reviews online last night and settled in to cry-watch it before bed - but was very pleasantly surprised. The new set list freshened up the feel of things, and Axl was really giving it his all running around and even doing a few of the raspy lines like "it goes to show" in ISE with power. Not all the time of course  but it was a good compromise of styles considering how hard it must be at this point.

I feel like these shows have been better than some of the ones around 2018-2019 era.

It was a solid watch, like obviously they're older now and so its not like 92 prime GNR, but it's still a good show. I just really hope they follow up with some more of these reworked singles.

Board footer