You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Sky Dog wrote:

91 prime Guns….just saying. Izzy was gone in late 91. Ain’t no prime GNR without Izzy!

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

GUNS N' ROSES: 'Worst Glastonbury Headline Set Of All Time'?
U.K.'s Independent calls GUNS N' ROSES' performance at Glastonbury "the worst Glastonbury headline set of all time" and refers to singer Axl Rose as the band's "fatal flaw." The reviewer, Mark Beaumont, writes: "Rose makes the whole thing sound like a Muppet Show pastiche of hard rock. It's his voice: a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-dav … B6DzTL5eqo

I'm still gonna see them on August 18th, but the author isn't wrong and anyone who's watched the band since 2016 knows this to be true. Slither beyond every other song needs to be dropped.  He can't sing it.  It sounds bad, and there are other songs he can do.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

The Guardian gave them 4/5.

Nice to see GNR still polarising opinion!

The night before I watched Artic Monkeys and ended up falling asleep. They're a good band but the set felt pretentious and GNR were far more entertaining.

I agree though Axl needs to drop songs he can't sing properly. Or start use backing tapes ;-)

He also has a particular way of singing that gets on my nerves. Not Mickey. It almost sounds like an old female choir singer.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Randall Flagg wrote:

U.K.'s Independent calls GUNS N' ROSES' performance at Glastonbury "the worst Glastonbury headline set of all time" and refers to singer Axl Rose as the band's "fatal flaw." The reviewer, Mark Beaumont, writes: "Rose makes the whole thing sound like a Muppet Show pastiche of hard rock. It's his voice: a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box."

I'm still gonna see them on August 18th, but the author isn't wrong and anyone who's watched the band since 2016 knows this to be true. Slither beyond every other song needs to be dropped.  He can't sing it.  It sounds bad, and there are other songs he can do.

Most of the coverage has been much more even-handed. Indeed, I've seen a lot of pushback against the Independent's review on the r/unitedkingdom subreddit (the very definition of a general audience):

4-stars from the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ … amid-stage

BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66011512

3-stars from the NME, of all people:
https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/guns-n … st-3460919

4-stars from Classic Rock Magazine (which points out that the "first major singalong of the evening" was Slither):
https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/gun … ury-review

4-stars from the Evening Standard:
https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/musi … 90021.html

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yeah he's definitely on the decline as he enters his 60s. We always knew this was going to happen...he can't really talk the songs like Jagger...not most of them anyways.

We're at a strange point. In the offchance an EP or full album came out, is he even capable of tackling the material?!?

If there's more touring after this year, the whole operation needs to be revamped.

Ditch certain songs....

Slither
YCBM
Better

Etc

Maybe even go old school and have a mini acoustic set in the middle...

Patience
Used To Love Her
You're Crazy
Dead Flowers
Maybe KOHD or an AFD song

Or start use backing tapes ;-)

I'm 10000% against this.

Unfortunately....it's probably going to happen because many bands/artists do it now. Hell .... even Roger Waters lip syncs some of the songs.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It was a solid watch, like obviously they're older now and so its not like 92 prime GNR, but it's still a good show. I just really hope they follow up with some more of these reworked singles.

Yeah...it ain't your Daddy's GNR anymore that's for sure.

It's passable for what it is...a massive hit of nostalgia.

The hardcore base is simply sitting idle at DEFCON 2 waiting the arrival of 1-2 songs....the quality of the live performance on the back burner.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

Ditch certain songs....

Slither

Again – the Classic Rock Magazine review points out that Slither was the first song where people started signing along to it (I actually noticed it myself, watching the BBC coverage, because it stood out to me – "the Glastonbury crowd is singing along to a Velvet Revolver track from 2004?"). Personally I'm not a fan of Axl's rendition of the song – he consistently sings "That's the spot/where you run to me" with the wrong emphasis, and he sings a high melody in the chorus. Which is surprising since you'd think Scott's material would lend itself to his much stronger lower register. But it undeniably clicked with that audience.

YCBM needs to go. Acoustic mini-set with Used to Love Her, Patience and You're Crazy would be neat – they're definitely within his lower-register wheelhouse (the first two especially, because if Weiland could sing them with his lower-register voice, Axl surely can).

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I can't see how YCBM gets dropped. It's in that tier of almost essentials and for many seeing this nostalgia circus they'd be disappointed not getting it.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I can't see how YCBM gets dropped. It's in that tier of almost essentials and for many seeing this nostalgia circus they'd be disappointed not getting it.

Maybe Axl and Duff could swap lines back and forth, like Pink Floyd did with “Run Like Hell”?

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yeah he's definitely on the decline as he enters his 60s. We always knew this was going to happen...he can't really talk the songs like Jagger...not most of them anyways.

We're at a strange point. In the offchance an EP or full album came out, is he even capable of tackling the material?!?

If there's more touring after this year, the whole operation needs to be revamped.

Ditch certain songs....

Slither
YCBM
Better

Etc

Maybe even go old school and have a mini acoustic set in the middle...

Patience
Used To Love Her
You're Crazy
Dead Flowers
Maybe KOHD or an AFD song

Or start use backing tapes ;-)

I'm 10000% against this.

Unfortunately....it's probably going to happen because many bands/artists do it now. Hell .... even Roger Waters lip syncs some of the songs.

I don't want them to shelve good material just because he isn't capable of singing it. However I am totally down with the band writing a new album that fits Axls vocal abilities now, whether that's a lower register, less screams or more gaps between lines / choruses.

Board footer