You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

polluxlm wrote:

What is he doing out there? He can't possibly be this bad at singing. He's starting to sound like me.

Nobody expects him to sing it proper anymore. Is there not some other voice he can do that doesn't sound like a kid in puberty?

Sky Dog wrote:

We have to get over the voice thing…..don’t go to the show. Bono sounds like shit now too. They are old! I read an interview with Maynard from Tool. He said he just can’t do some of their older material because it is too physical.

There is nothing wrong with being a nostalgia act when you are 60 years old.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

We have to get over the voice thing…..don’t go to the show. Bono sounds like shit now too. They are old! I read an interview with Maynard from Tool. He said he just can’t do some of their older material because it is too physical.

I agree with this. Also worth noting he makes up for it with stage presence. Contemporaries of his don’t. Anybody see Jovi lately?

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

That reminds me, U2 has a Vegas residency coming up at this new venue, Sphere. Apparently it is like a big Imax screen with 4-D effects (the chairs move, et cetera).

How well will Bono be able to handle doing three shows a week for about three months straight? The guy did a theater tour but a lot of that was him telling stories. Can he still sing all of the Achtung Baby album, which came out the same year as UYI?

Another question comes to mind: Could/should GNR consider a Sphere residency?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

One of the problems is the songs where he sounds weakest to me are some of the essential fan hits.

Not his fault it's just the style of singing in them they originally had is in the wrong range for these days.

Like honestly ISE, DTJ and Bad Obsession sounded so much better than YCBM, SCOM, and November Rain at this point....but realistically the latter have to be in the set for the casuals, and also just because they are brilliant songs.

Slash was brilliant because he is Slash too, but his playing also seems noticeably restrained compared to 2010 shows as well. These guys are human - like at some point they have to be allowed to be a little bit older and not beat their own bests.....but then I mean he still did a handstand on the way out so he's not in the home yet I guess!

Although I can see them writing songs to fit the new voice, I'm of the opinion if there's monsters vocals on tape level them monstery - cos we will have the records forever but shows are going to stop in 20 years anyways. I'd rather they release a record with mind blowing 1999 era screams that he just never does live - than water everything down from the past to be as good as they can manage now. But I think the record should be good - i mean it's 1999 vocals with Slash - that has to rock.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

Ditch certain songs....

Slither

Again – the Classic Rock Magazine review points out that Slither was the first song where people started signing along to it (I actually noticed it myself, watching the BBC coverage, because it stood out to me – "the Glastonbury crowd is singing along to a Velvet Revolver track from 2004?"). Personally I'm not a fan of Axl's rendition of the song – he consistently sings "That's the spot/where you run to me" with the wrong emphasis, and he sings a high melody in the chorus. Which is surprising since you'd think Scott's material would lend itself to his much stronger lower register. But it undeniably clicked with that audience.

YCBM needs to go. Acoustic mini-set with Used to Love Her, Patience and You're Crazy would be neat – they're definitely within his lower-register wheelhouse (the first two especially, because if Weiland could sing them with his lower-register voice, Axl surely can).

I actually enjoyed Slither at the 2 shows I saw end of last year.

Bad Obsession was one of the highlights from Glasto from what I saw - not surprising given the band are probably invigorated playing something different and it's in a manageable vocal register for Axl

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Add Coma to the list of songs Axl needs to never sing again. That outro was an absolute disgrace both recent show's I was at. He oscillated between mickey and speaking it. Was an encore which didn't help none either

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

I'm 10000% against this.

Unfortunately....it's probably going to happen because many bands/artists do it now. Hell .... even Roger Waters lip syncs some of the songs.

I remain convinced that in 2-3 years, AI will have got to the point where an AI model trained on a performer's younger voice can be overlaid on their current vocals as an effect in real-time, at a quality where the audience will be none the wiser. The experiments we've seen on YouTube are almost convincing, and that's people working with scrappy vocals using off the shelf tools. With an AI model trained on the hundreds of hours of isolated vocal tracks from live and studio recordings that bands have access to, it should be a *lot* easier.

And since it'll be applied as an effect to the performer's actual voice, it won't have those odd moments where you think, "That sounds like Axl in places, but it's clearly being sung with the cadences and the vocal tics that Scott Weiland/Andrew Stockdale/Myles Kennedy use."

It'll be a new lease of life for a lot of performers.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES: 'Worst Glastonbury Headline Set Of All Time'?
U.K.'s Independent calls GUNS N' ROSES' performance at Glastonbury "the worst Glastonbury headline set of all time" and refers to singer Axl Rose as the band's "fatal flaw." The reviewer, Mark Beaumont, writes: "Rose makes the whole thing sound like a Muppet Show pastiche of hard rock. It's his voice: a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-dav … B6DzTL5eqo

I'm still gonna see them on August 18th, but the author isn't wrong and anyone who's watched the band since 2016 knows this to be true. Slither beyond every other song needs to be dropped.  He can't sing it.  It sounds bad, and there are other songs he can do.

My god that review is brutal but hilarious in a way only the British press can be

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

We English treat being verbally cruel like it's a sport. I wouldn't care too much about reviews though.
Glasgow tonight. Expecting an interesting and probably long set to make up for the cancellation of the last show there.

Board footer