You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Jeff Beck Dead at 78

James wrote:

Another icon gone. Starting 2023 with a bang.

Died from meningitis. Scary shit.

As GNR fans know...he almost did Locomotive at the Paris PPV.

He also auditioned for the Stones in 1975. Hard to imagine them without Wood and Beck in his place. Would've been interesting though.

RIP

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

This fucking sucks.  I'll have to listen to Blow by Blow.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

One of the most famous names in rock, yet I don't know a single song he made.

RIP

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

One of the most famous names in rock, yet I don't know a single song he made.

RIP

Yeah...he's one of those icons where everyone knows him but he doesn't have any mega albums that set the world on fire. Kinda slipped through the cracks. Younger generations don't really know him.

Had Stevie Ray Vaughn lived, he'd probably be a bit similar to Beck at this point.

A singer of similar stature is Tori Amos. Respected across the board, considered one of the best of her time, yet people in general have no clue about her material.

James

James wrote:

On the GNR subject...

What the hell was Beck going to do with Locomotive?!? Was Slash going to step back and let Beck do his own thing with the song?

Even at the time I thought it was a strange pairing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Jeff Beck Group could have been as big as The Stones. Such a shitty way to go, man. He was in great shape.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Sorry to gear RIP

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

On the GNR subject...

What the hell was Beck going to do with Locomotive?!? Was Slash going to step back and let Beck do his own thing with the song?

From the rehearsal footage of it on YouTube, he was adding little bits of his signature type widdly diddly stuff in there.

I guess they may have extended the song to allow an extra solo spot for him too?

Anyway, I’m in the same boat, I know he’s a good guitarist, but I couldn’t name a single song or album of his.

I do like his playing on Duff’s Believe in Me album. He plays some pretty cool lead guitar on both (Fucked Up) Beyond Belief and Swamp Song.

James

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

On the GNR subject...

From the rehearsal footage of it on YouTube, he was adding little bits of his signature type widdly diddly stuff in there.

I guess they may have extended the song to allow an extra solo spot for him too?

Anyway, I’m in the same boat, I know he’s a good guitarist, but I couldn’t name a single song or album of his.

I do like his playing on Duff’s Believe in Me album. He plays some pretty cool lead guitar on both (Fucked Up) Beyond Belief and Swamp Song.

Holy shit...I forgot that footage even existed. In my memory...he was supposed to do it but got sick.

Yeah...it would've been the song with him noodling over it.

I wonder if it was his favorite GNR song? An interesting choice to guest on.

Also forgot about his Believe in Me appearance. I'll listen to that today.

My memory is toast.

Jeff Beck Group could have been as big as The Stones. Such a shitty way to go, man. He was in great shape.

Yeah I saw that today. He was in perfect health until meningitis hit.  Could've lived another 10-15 years.

Reminds me of the Reagan story...his doctors said he was strong as a bull, heart of someone half his age and could've lived another 20 years had he never got Alzheimer's. Fucked up.

The rock world is littered with bands that probably should've moved up a level. Another one is Badfinger.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Locomotive is the ultimate guitar song GNR made, so I think that's where he thought he could do the most good.

I also thought he was sick. Why didn't he perform?

Board footer