You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Lelez95
 Rep: 0 

Re: Could a different track list make Chinese democracy a better album?

Lelez95 wrote:

Since the album came out we heard some of the songs that could have made it on it but didn't for different reasons.
I always thought some of them were better than most of what we actually got on the record so I made my own Chinese democracy to listen to and I have to say I love it.
Here is my track list
1 Chinese democracy
2 hard skhool
3 street of dreams
4 oh my god
5 shackler's Revenge
6 absurd (I like the new version better)
7 better
8 athlas shrugged
9 this I love
10 there was a time

I don't think the songs that I included are necessarily the best on the album, i just think the list works.

Sky Dog wrote:

I can’t take any Chinese Democracy sessions track list serious without Madagascar.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I can’t take any Chinese Democracy sessions track list serious without Madagascar.

Damn right!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The album definitely could have been improved.  It'll still be too ballad heavy though. You'd have to dip in to the 2-4 discs to give it some balls. I also like the original idea mentioned by Tommy back in the day about it not being a long album...of course this is when multiple albums were supposedly in the pipeline. Your list seems to use this strategy.

Unfortunately...the rocker/ballad ratio is way off. It's not just the fact there's too many ballads...it's the fact they're all covering the same territory. Supposed epics became redundant. This is why some songs from Madagascar, The Blues, and Prostitute aren't necessary on one single album

Chinese Democracy
Atlas Shrugged
Riad
Madagascar
If the World
Better
IRS
The Blues
Perhaps
Catcher in the Rye
Silkworms
There Was A Time

That's a nice tight album. Stuff like Shackler's and Scraped are B sides at best. Shouldn't have been anywhere near the final tracklist.

Use Prostitute and This I Love on soundtracks...or save for a second album.

The original version of Sorry's music is superior to the spit shine polished album version. I'm not sure I would include it though. If I did, I'd remove a ballad to make room...maybe The Blues.

Of course this isn't factoring in songs like State of Grace, Oklahoma, Soul Monster, etc.

Sky Dog wrote:

While I suffered complete burnout on the song....I agree it probably needs to be included.

I also like it as an opener on the Village Sessions disc. Before we saw that sequencing I never would've considered it as an opening track...the title track was always the obvious opener.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

I'm fine with the disc as it is.
I might just take off CATCHER IN THE RYE for HARD SKOOL.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

SCRAPED is great!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Agreed that Scraped should’ve been left with scraps on the floor. Absolutely rubbish song with shitty cut and paste vocals. If that was one of their best, I’d hate to see what their worst was…

Shacklers though, that’s a killer track. They just need to remove the stupid elephant noises intro, to tighten it up a bit.

Lelez95

Lelez95 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I do like Madagascar and other songs I left out. My goal was to make a list that is more consistent, so I kept what reminds me more of old gnr and added the industrial stuff. There are a lot of tracks I would have loved to see on a axl solo project like Madagascar and if the world.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the tracks are fine.

The issue is the production with so many layers and multiple guitarists some of whom play in styles that don't really suit the underlying genre.

It's kinda an art piece designed to push the audience and stretch their tastes I would speculate......but fundamentally...

The reason Slash/Duff hardschool and absurd are better is because it's a simpler rock version of the songs.

Take any of the CD songs are redo them with the UYI band and the even same vocal tracks and it would come out like the classic records...it's not really the songs...it's the style.

Lelez95

Lelez95 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think the tracks are fine.

The issue is the production with so many layers and multiple guitarists some of whom play in styles that don't really suit the underlying genre.

It's kinda an art piece designed to push the audience and stretch their tastes I would speculate......but fundamentally...

The reason Slash/Duff hardschool and absurd are better is because it's a simpler rock version of the songs.

Take any of the CD songs are redo them with the UYI band and the even same vocal tracks and it would come out like the classic records...it's not really the songs...it's the style.

Production is definitely the biggest problem with the album.
But I also think that the tracks chosen and the way they are put togher makes it long and hard to enjoy as a whole.
If we cloud get the absurd treatment on the whole thing I'd still prefer the alternative truck listing.
I must say, although I don't like particularly the open project band gnr have been for a long time, I loved the guitar work on the album.
If I was given the choice between having Izzy back with buckethead on the lead or what we have now, despite my love for slash I might be going for the other solution.

Board footer