You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Pink Floyd feud goes nuclear

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

Perfect example of what we're missing out on....

Imagine that show in HD.

I hate how these bands just sit on this stuff. It's unforgivable.

Look at the Beatles...they literally sat on endless hours of the recording of Let It Be for over 50 years...for shits and giggles. It wouldn't have hurt anything to allow fans to experience that.

Imagine how many Beatles fans died between 1970 and 2022 who never got to see that. It took Peter Jackson wanting to see it and turn it into a huge project for it to come out.

Hell....there's still an unreleased Beatles song that hasn't come out yet... Carnival of Light. Yeah it's supposed to not be all that great but McCartney has hyped the damn thing for 50+ years. Release it !!!

I'd love for these mega rich artists to lose all their money...at least briefly. You'd then see an instant 180 on hoarding stuff from their prime. We'd get box sets of buried treasure up the wazoo.

Your points are valid especially with gnr. But an unreleased never heard Beatles track is a whole nother animal. I don’t blame that camp for keeping it in the rainy day fund.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Do Rolling Stones got shit like that just laying around?

Actually....yes.

While the Stones are doing a pretty damn good job with their box sets and deluxe editions of albums, they're also sitting on some gold.... specifically from the early-late 60s. The Stones don't own much from this era...ABCKO owns it. They've sued one another over the years.

They've been releasing some of their official videos in HD so maybe some progress has been made.

James

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

Perfect example of what we're missing out on....

Imagine that show in HD.

I hate how these bands just sit on this stuff. It's unforgivable.

Look at the Beatles...they literally sat on endless hours of the recording of Let It Be for over 50 years...for shits and giggles. It wouldn't have hurt anything to allow fans to experience that.

Imagine how many Beatles fans died between 1970 and 2022 who never got to see that. It took Peter Jackson wanting to see it and turn it into a huge project for it to come out.

Hell....there's still an unreleased Beatles song that hasn't come out yet... Carnival of Light. Yeah it's supposed to not be all that great but McCartney has hyped the damn thing for 50+ years. Release it !!!

I'd love for these mega rich artists to lose all their money...at least briefly. You'd then see an instant 180 on hoarding stuff from their prime. We'd get box sets of buried treasure up the wazoo.

Your points are valid especially with gnr. But an unreleased never heard Beatles track is a whole nother animal. I don’t blame that camp for keeping it in the rainy day fund.

Fair point but that begs a question.....

A rainy day for who?

Each surviving Beatle and the Lennon/Harrison estates are verging on billionaires.

Their fans continue to drop like flies.

Songs/albums earn less revenue than ever before...and this will continue as we get closer to an all streaming world.

This song probably should've been released in the mid 90s when they did that Anthology series.

I know McCartney has wanted it to come out a couple times over the years but got vetoed by one of the others.

The best(worst) example of this shit is probably the Jimi Hendrix estate. He does have a handful of unreleased material fans have salivated over for decades...yet they continually keep releasing the same old shit over and over again.

Another thing that goes against releasing such rarities is the fact our culture has shifted to the point where hardcore fans don't really matter and everything gets catered to the casual crowd.

A casual Beatles/Hendrix/Floyd/GNR fan not only doesn't care about this type of thing...they don't even know any of it exists!

So instead of Carnival of Light....you get Beatles coffee mugs. Instead of The General, Soul Monster, or the Ritz 87 in HD, you get GNR toy trucks and candles...using logos that appear as if drawn by a child.

The time to capitalize on all this stuff was probably the 2000s at the latest...when CDs and cassettes still sold like hotcakes.

Speaking of Hendrix....

I should read one of his biographies. I've always wondered how in the hell his estate was handed to someone not even a blood relative. Isn't it some sort of cousin who got it? Unbelievable. They just sit back raking in that Purple Haze cash....and don't care that people would like to hear all the material he was working on before he died.

Another example is The Doors. I think there's still a couple unreleased songs in their vault.

The issues with their various estates and rights is a fucking mess too. Didn't one of those guys hand over his rights to his ex wife during a divorce back in the 70s-80s believing it wasn't worth a hill of beans? That was smart.

I might be mixing that story up with another iconic band.

Edit

This is one of the reasons why we will never get The Perfect Crime. There is no one in the GNR camp capable or willing to dig through that monstrous tour vault and put together a documentary/series. Then take into account there wouldn't be a ton of money to be made from such an endeavor.

During those dead/silent years in the 2000s when nothing was happening on the Chinese front, they should've switched gears and started working on this. Like I mentioned....too much work involved in such a project. Much easier to just send out the yes men to whine about Slash on the forums.

While I said the best example is Hendrix....it's probably GNR. So much time and opportunity wasted. Like Hendrix, they have a very small discography but it could've easily been expanded with some effort.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Say whatever you will about the cash grab of GN'R these days, but I'm glad Axl & Slash are no longer at each other's throats like this. The Pink Floyd guys are way too old to be acting like this. Life is too short. Be appreciative of the great music you created together so many decades ago.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I think that, but I also think "what if Layne Staley was never a heroin addict?". What would he be doing then? Not "Sick Man", for sure.

James

James wrote:

The war is back on....

Gilmour response.....

Also....footage of the infamous Waters spitting incident has finally surfaced...

https://lolaclips.com/footage-archive/d … pink_floyd

It's mixed in with other footage. Various people are working on cleaning this up and syncing the audio.

I'm starting to wonder if some of these various leaks are coming from an official source. What are the chances something like this would leak in the middle of one of their spats?

Edit

If watching the clip above...start at 14:30

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The comparison is not skewed. Rachel Corrie was likely deliberately killed by the driver of the bulldozer that ran her over, despite the predictable official claims. Not the first time this has happened either. 

Gilmour though knows how to play the media and get the public on his side, unlike Waters. The picture of his wife is very clever manipulation. Waters gave him an open goal when he went for her looks. Some similarities to Slash and Axl. The difference is Axl respects Slash musically, and of course the other way around, facilitating them making amends. Waters thinks Gilmour is a hack, and that is the real contention between them. A fundamental lack of respect. It's funny when you think about it, what they've achieved. But I get it too, one of them just want to go with the flow, the other want to keep pushing aggressively like some musical Alexander.

James

James wrote:

Yeah Gilmour has always come out on top in the Floyd spats since the 80s....for several reasons...

The good guy image helps tremendously

Label and media backing him

Control of the Pink Floyd brand which gives him a louder voice

Waters major mistake is hitting below the belt...hard to defend the guy when he goes after the wife's looks. Her songwriting abilities? Worthy of mockery...but it should end there.

James

James wrote:

Even in the midst of this war, this is shaping up to be a good year for Floyd releases.

It looks like Steven Wilson is remixing both Gilmour's debut solo album and Rick's Wet Dream album.

Speculation that they will be released under the Pink Floyd brand somehow since both are being worked on... although hard to believe Waters would approve.

James

James wrote:
James wrote:

Speculation that they will be released under the Pink Floyd brand somehow since both are being worked on... although hard to believe Waters would approve.

Scratch that...they are both Rhino releases and not affiliated with Pink Floyd.

Board footer