You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Roger Waters - Dark Side Redux

James wrote:

The teasing has officially started....

Sounds like Eclipse. I don't like the idea of the song without those lyrics...an incredible ending to the album.

I'm definitely hyped for this now.

Unfortunately this teaser clip isn't getting many views. He needs to hurry up and release it before he has second thoughts.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

It sounds like it cuts off right before the lyrics kick in.

He has to include them as written. They tie the whole thing together. Tragically and brilliantly.

James

James wrote:

Money is out now ..as well as release date, pre-order, etc.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/rog … LQahvacaVg

Well.....I'm all in. 22

This is going to be a very polarizing record. Love it or really hate it.

It's sorta like Tom Waits and some old blues singer covering it. Saw a comparison to Cohen on the Hoffman forum.

That added spoken word section is wacky. That will need repeated listens. I really love the music on this version.

Obviously it will never replace the original...it's not meant to. Hopefully the world can just give it a chance on its own merits.

I can easily see this version of the song being played in some dystopic film.

As someone pointed out on Hoffman...and I had completely forgotten about this....it's not the first time this song has been redone in the Floyd 'universe'.....

While in 81 and the real Floyd still a band obviously, that version is all Gilmour.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's different, radically, which is good.

His voice is what it is at this point. He works it in well but the music is the real selling point. This version has a completely different vibe. Older, darker, less energetic. Suitable for a gloomy late night listen. Usually a remake of a song is like the Gilmour version, cosmetic changes, typically of an inferior nature. Or they just do it acoustic.

This is so different it constitutes a completely new song. It's noticeable how there appears to be no guitar at all. The hatred for Gilmour is still burning passionately in Roger's heart.

James

James wrote:

When listening to it late last night while going to sleep, it made me wish he had been on MTV Unplugged.

Imagine him rearranging classic Floyd songs in 90-95 while still relatively young. Could've been incredible.

Yeah you're right...the hatred of Gilmour appears to be fueling his final chapter. It's probably not a good thing.

On the other hand.... I do see what he's aiming at with redoing Comfortably Numb and now Dark Side. He's trying to give it new life in this bat shit crazy culture and dystopia we've been thrown into.

He may also be looking at some sort of Johnny Cash level comeback. Not sure.

I'm just going to roll with it. He could easily just live in his mansion sitting in his rocking chair like a grandma eating cornbread and butter milk til the end of the line. He's not though. We get a final chapter of Waters using his final breath reimagining peak Floyd.

Do Animals next. That should've been tackled first.

James

James wrote:

He also posted this teaser trailer....

James

James wrote:

Another trailer....

He's doing a great job hyping this.

James

James wrote:

A preview of Time just hit Apple....

https://music.apple.com/us/album/time/1 … 1697479549

Hopefully we get the full song tomorrow.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

This is a perfect example of why bands bring out the best in everyone.

Lush orchestration, great arrangement, all let down by Roger's worst tendencies and vocal limitations.

Hidden Text:

Time fucks me up.

James

James wrote:

It's not really what I was expecting...but I like it.

Lush orchestration, great arrangement, all let down by Roger's worst tendencies and vocal limitations.

I get your point...but I'm not gonna criticize him too much due to his advanced age.

If he was going to devote time(hee hee) to reimagining peak Floyd...Wall, Dark Side, or Animals...it probably should've happened in the early 2000s when he was able to become a stadium act touring the Floyd material. I think the public would've been more open to it.

Edit

Yeah...the passage of time and how it sorta warps is fascinating...and frightening.

Board footer