You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The General confirmed next

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Hadn't exactly thought of it this way before but the post CD song releases...Absurd, Hard School, and Perhaps...are not as good as the songs from CD. If we split hairs, better than Scraped and Shackler I suppose. Not really album worthy though...good album worthy anyways. 16

Remember his 2002 comment about the album potentially being 18 tracks and 10 B sides? These three recent releases would belong in that group of 10.

Slightly OT, but which CD songs (include any version you want) would qualify as being worthy of being on a good album?  I got maybe 6-7 songs.  I might stick Perhaps into that group but that's it.  I've never really cared for Absurd and Hard School is a b side.

It’s way too hard to guess without finished tracks. Not sure what other Bucket science lab concoctions Axl created like Shacklers either. Tonto might be another Frankenstein creation. Had they saved Catcher and Sorry for album 2 it would definitely have been a darker album

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

The weak link on CD to me is of course the mixing... just sounds awful compared to some of the demos. CITR has an amazing demo... sounds shit on the album. CD and The Blues sound great on 2002 soundboards... awful on the record.

TWAT and TiL are horrible songs on the album (imo) but I'm sure they started off as good tracks.

Mixing makes a huge impact on the feel of songs...

FINALLY Perhaps sounds like someone *took the time* to mix it... I hope The General follows the same path. Either way I'm excited to hear the song, as I was TWAT and TiL... I am harsh on those songs but it is what it is. Still glad they got released. Just thinking outloud.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

evader wrote:
James wrote:

Remember his 2002 comment about the album potentially being 18 tracks and 10 B sides? These three recent releases would belong in that group of 10.

Is it possible that the extra 10 tracks Axl mentioned were actually the CD remixes like Blood in the Water, Better Gone, etc? How many of those were there?

To add: Apparently a Chicago DJ mentioned a new GNR track next week. If already mentioned here, sorry for the repeat.

Maybe this is one of them

Or two of them if you count As It Began.
Nevermind no idea why it wont embed right.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

My guess is they are releasing The General, Atlas, maybe a re-recorded version of Oh My God... Who knows if another bullet in the chamber and that's all.
After that NEW songs composed by them.

Edit: i don't see more songs released if they are b-sides

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Hadn't exactly thought of it this way before but the post CD song releases...Absurd, Hard School, and Perhaps...are not as good as the songs from CD. If we split hairs, better than Scraped and Shackler I suppose. Not really album worthy though...good album worthy anyways. 16

Slightly OT, but which CD songs (include any version you want) would qualify as being worthy of being on a good album?  I got maybe 6-7 songs.  I might stick Perhaps into that group but that's it.  I've never really cared for Absurd and Hard School is a b side.

Demo versions:

CD
Better
Riad
CITR
TWAT
If the World

Sorry deserved better lyrics. Musically it's top notch. Riad too but I went ahead and included it. I excluded songs like Madagascar, The Blues, etc because it's all just covering the same ground. One album doesn't need to be that repetitive.

Shacklermyrye wrote:

I'm not invested to the point where I really care how well there song releases are to the mainstream, I mean i'd obviously prefer they do well but only in the sense that it might make more releases likely. Maybe I'm selfish but I only really care if I like the song or not, if someone else dislikes something it doesn't colour my opinion on it.

This is where I'm at in my fandom. I only want songs/videos getting fuck tons of views/going viral so it potentially increases the chances of more releases.

Wagszilla wrote:

Axl is the weak link on most of Chinese Democracy. His writing needed work and it's clear he shut himself in while doing all the writing.

Axl in all his moods oscillates between pompous grandiosity and misogynistic self-hatred which worked for the afterglow of 1970s glam rock and 1980s hair metal but when the 1990s rolled around, he didn't really have much to say.

He just couldn't get over the breakup of the old band/fractured relationship with Slash. It consumed him...and all of his yes men/hangers on just fueled an already uncontrollable fire.

It reminds me of that incident MSL mentioned back around 2007-8 where he was talking to Beta on the phone and all she did was bitch about Slash incessantly. He sat the phone down to start cooking dinner or something, went back to the phone later, and she was still bitching about Slash.

He needed to either do something like lock himself up alone Jack Nicholson in The Shining style and see what he can come up with or maybe travel the world like MIA did in the lead up to Kala, and that winds up inspiring the material.

The Slash and Steph thing just brings the whole thing down. I agree he was the creative weak link in his own band. Riad is the perfect example. The band is on fire there...he wasn't.

It's what's concerning about Oklahoma. That instrumental is fucking incredible...and we already know who it's about. 18

I just hope he brought what was left of his A game to it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

The weak link on CD to me is of course the mixing... just sounds awful compared to some of the demos. CITR has an amazing demo... sounds shit on the album. CD and The Blues sound great on 2002 soundboards... awful on the record.

TWAT and TiL are horrible songs on the album (imo) but I'm sure they started off as good tracks.

Mixing makes a huge impact on the feel of songs...

FINALLY Perhaps sounds like someone *took the time* to mix it... I hope The General follows the same path. Either way I'm excited to hear the song, as I was TWAT and TiL... I am harsh on those songs but it is what it is. Still glad they got released. Just thinking outloud.

Yep...finished album is garbage. I don't listen to it. It's one of the most uncomfortable listening experiences I've ever had. Not sure what could even compare.

Absurd and Hard School mixed terribly as well and you're right... Perhaps a slight improvement. Slight. I can't listen to it loud. It makes my ears want to bleed.

It's the main concern with the final big guns coming out. What if they're good songs but sound like shit?

I wish he had got a better team in the studio who knew what they were doing.

I've used this as an example before:

Adam Kasper produced/mixed this. It's a demo from the 1991 Badmotorfinger sessions with new music and vocals added in 2010. You literally cannot tell the difference between new/old. It all flows perfectly...as it should.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

The Oh My God demo not the End of Days version but the other one that leaked, can't remember when it leaked, but, damn is it good. I love it. Very disco in the guitar work.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

The disappointment i expect is that 9/10 people won’t even notice

Very true. That world has well and truly past us by. I don't see any "old band" ever having a proper hit again, there's simply nobody under 30 who is interested in rock n roll anymore.

Yeah, i think they have a subsistence level possible from legacy fans like us.

Like I will go listen to any new release from GNR, Motley, Aerosmith, Ac/Dc and a handful of other acts I've liked for years, but it's hard to see them putting out a new November Rain or You Could be Mine and getting the kind of cross over event cultural impact they had back in the day.

I suspect rock music will return eventually, but when it does, it will be the kids who bring it back in and not the previous generations I think.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Slightly OT, but which CD songs (include any version you want) would qualify as being worthy of being on a good album? .

Trick question for me cos I think it is a good album big_smile

Although I would love a remix with more bass...i feel songs like the title track lost their rumble on the record that they have live.

I don't really see Axl as the weak point either - some of his vocal lines on CD are amongst his best performances - only reason I would say they are not outright his best is that there's a lot of insanely good vocals in GNR's whole catalogue so it's hard to choose. But they are up there.

I think the production is the weak point. It's mixed weirdly, and generally also suffers from the way it's a genre hopping art piece, so you get a lot of synth, limited guitars in some places but then dozens of stunt guitar tracks etc. Feels kinda frankensteined.  All the songs have always been much more rockier live - like IRS for example....or the way the current band plays the title track.

But songwriting wise, I would put most of them on a good GNR record level.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

I prefer this cleaner version with more synths of CD
https://youtu.be/oukW-fmdyc0?si=xE5XfKTylykvBg_p

Board footer