You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds album

BLS-Pride wrote:
ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Great, concise rock and roll anthem. They’ve still got it.

Was Charlie on this?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Great, concise rock and roll anthem. They’ve still got it.

Was Charlie on this?

No.

He's only on two tracks...one of which will also have Bill Wyman. 9

The shocker is the fact this isn't an old album containing tracks over the past 20 years. Other than two songs, the album was recorded late 2022/early 23.

The song is ok. Not as good as Doom and Gloom but it's serviceable. I only listened a couple times. Gonna wait and digest the album in full.

Gonna buy the single. Too bad it doesn't have a B side.

Oh yeah...Keith let it slip that they actually recorded two albums...so this might not be the last Stones album...unless they unload the remaining songs on a deluxe edition next year.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

They haven't made a truly great album for 50 years. Diminishing returns since then. A couple of great tracks here and there, but I'm never expecting much from an old band. Incredible that they're still going. I saw them 25 years ago and it was a meme already then. 

Video here is great but I don't think the song is much to talk about. Doom and Gloom was a legitimate hit, this kinda goes nowhere. Hopefully they got something better further up the pipeline.

James

James wrote:

If you took half of Steel Wheels and combined it with half of Voodoo Lounge, you're looking at one of the best albums in their discography.

Mixed Emotions
Terrifying
Rock and A Hard Place
Almost Hear You Sigh
Can't Be Seen
Slipping Away
Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Out of Tears
Blinded By Rainbows
Thru and Thru

That's a 5 star album. 9

They started losing the plot with Bridges to Babylon...at least they got a killer single(Rough Justice) out of A Bigger Bang.

They fully embraced being a nostalgia act after that...Doom and Gloom a complete anomaly. That was essentially a throwaway track to sell a compilation. Blows me away they didn't immediately capitalize on that and do a new album...but they didn't care about that anymore.

I saw them 25 years ago and it was a meme already then.

It really is crazy how long.

The media was referring to Steel Wheels as Steel Wheelchairs in 1989

You can watch those 1989-90 videos now and they're not even really that old.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Steel Wheels is a good shout. Not quite Sticky Fingers or Exile though. Thanks for posting Mixed Emotions, that's a really great song.

Back then pushing 50 was considered old, but it wasn't so much that they were old, it was them still being around with mostly original members. Beatles had been gone 20 years. The Who, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc. either gone or shadows of their former selves. Even Pink Floyd had started collapsing. But the Stones were still out there releasing hits like it was 1965.

These guys have released 25 albums, and if we don't count their first album in the US which "only" charted in 11th place, they have never released an album doing worse than 5th.

James

James wrote:

It is weird how aging is looked at differently now...the whole "50 is the new 40" etc thing.

I remember how old certain football coaches were back then. You watch footage now and they're practically babies. Look younger than me...in some cases were younger than me now...which is scary.

I just watched Unforgiven again. Clint is old there...and he still has 30+ years of filmmaking in him at that point.

Reminds me of that comment Paulie on The Sopranos says to his mom's friends....

When I was a kid, you two were old ladies. Now I'm old, and you're still old.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Killer song. Love it. Classic but modern sounding. Video is perfect too.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Who plays drums/bass?

James

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Who plays drums/bass?

On this song?