You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR goes on hiatus, NuGuns should reunite

James wrote:

At the show he dove deep into nostalgia, with only a few token new tracks included.

New people and new songs at his disposal, but he chickened out and did oldies, which cheated us fans, cheated the band, and invited comparisons to the original lineup.

I've looked at those 2001-02 set lists. They look even worse with hindsight.

How many Appetite for Destruction songs were being performed on the 'Chinese Democracy Starts Now!' tour?

Drumroll please.....

OIP.eKxrB7K2ziJooLQfJxIvUwHaEJ?pid=ImgDet&dpr=1.5

That is fucking insane. It's also inexcusable. Even if you try to justify it with a claim of pushing new GNR to a casual audience, there's not a single casual fan in the world foaming at the mouth for songs such as My Michelle, Think About You, etc.

The only AFD songs that should've been performed in 2001-2 are ...

Jungle
SCOM
PC

Maybe throw in Its So Easy as an occasional opener/alternate.

Those three songs the only required songs from the album. Anything further than that...to use the words of Axl Rose in his prime....is "jerking off to AFD".

How many Chinese Democracy songs on average were being performed on this tour?

Drumroll.....

OIP.pJyeKpcg2x9WesbjX2RvcQHaEC?pid=ImgDet&dpr=1.5

The 2001-2 lineup was essentially touring in support of AFD while getting to perform 3 of their own songs....5 once every other blue moon on a red letter day.

I went to look at a random 2002 show... Boston...and you have to get to the 11th song of the night before new material gets performed (Madagascar). In other words...it's not the focus. It's background noise...a barely acknowledged appetizer with Destruction the main course.

It's not surprising this is when the forums largely went negative. The GNR camp basically wanted hardcore fans as "street teams" pushing what was essentially an "AFD 15th anniversary" tour.

And then of course the tour collapsed a few weeks later for reasons, again, we still don’t really know.

It had to collapse. It served no function. Why exist? Only thing being accomplished was a handful of casual fans buying AFD at the local record store the day after the show.

Remember....this was still the era before major rock bands were doing never ending nostalgia tours. Only rock band I can think of at the moment already headed down that path is KISS.

Tours were still considered as being in support of your new album and not the other way around.

No new album = No reason to tour.

It's amazing it even got a green light to proceed.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

This was a really interesting interview from the point of view of "why the ChiDem-era band didn't really gel":

Jaxlmorrison2
 Rep: 1 

I’ve always said if this band got together, even with a different frontman, I’d be one of the first in line.

Finck
Stinson
Pitman
Freese or Brain
Bucket or Bumble
Throw Tobias in there to play rhythm and write. Why not?

Seven76
 Rep: 0 

Seven76 wrote:

I loved the Finck & Bucket + Fortus  + Tommy + Brian & Pitman Era ... edge & experimental Music mix of guitars & electronica... way way cool

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James wrote:

At the show he dove deep into nostalgia, with only a few token new tracks included.

New people and new songs at his disposal, but he chickened out and did oldies, which cheated us fans, cheated the band, and invited comparisons to the original lineup.

I've looked at those 2001-02 set lists. They look even worse with hindsight.

How many Appetite for Destruction songs were being performed on the 'Chinese Democracy Starts Now!' tour?

They started off with having Oh my god, Riad, Silkworms, Chin Dem, the blues and madagascar.
Then dropped the first three pretty quickly for some odd reason. And just had three. It made no sense

It still is a joke we never got to heard BH on stuff like Sorry, Shacklers, There was a time etc

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The problem with any future plans is that Axl can no longer sing. I would love to see another iteration of nu-guns, but not with Vince Neil on vocals. If he could still do something in the studio, maybe, but he looks to be finished creatively as well as physically.

younggunner
 Rep: 7 

younggunner wrote:

The problem with anything new gnr related is $$$. Writing credits and touring will all lead to the old lineup. To much red tape for new gnr to have a run in any capacity. The only thing I can maybe see is some sort of box set of the CD era that Slash and Duff sign off on and  throw Axl and company a bone. Even that can potentially undermine the current band if the versions with Bucket and Finck blow away the reworked songs.

Its time for Axl to move on from that era anyway since it doesn't have a future. Pick a few more songs for Slash to work on and release them. It's time to start focusing on new material with the current lineup.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I would rather him release a Chinese box set, tbh

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
younggunner wrote:

The problem with anything new gnr related is $$$. Writing credits and touring will all lead to the old lineup. To much red tape for new gnr to have a run in any capacity. The only thing I can maybe see is some sort of box set of the CD era that Slash and Duff sign off on and  throw Axl and company a bone. Even that can potentially undermine the current band if the versions with Bucket and Finck blow away the reworked songs.

Its time for Axl to move on from that era anyway since it doesn't have a future. Pick a few more songs for Slash to work on and release them. It's time to start focusing on new material with the current lineup.

Good point on how Slash/Duff have to sign off on everything.

Agree that it's time to move on. I think they're about to and that's why we're now getting these mythical songs.

They know which songs the fans have wanted for decades. One more batch would essentially wrap it up.

Do one more drip feed, have GNR management address the issue with hardcore fans telling them the CD saga is over and a new chapter has begun, and they'll see a lot of the negativity go away.

They don't have to release the rest of the material to please 99% of the hardcore base. Just the main songs.

Atlas
Oklahoma
Seven

Boom... Chinese over.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James wrote:
younggunner wrote:

Good point on how Slash/Duff have to sign off on everything.

Agree that it's time to move on. I think they're about to and that's why we're now getting these mythical songs.

They know which songs the fans have wanted for decades. One more batch would essentially wrap it up.

Do one more drip feed, have GNR management address the issue with hardcore fans telling them the CD saga is over and a new chapter has begun, and they'll see a lot of the negativity go away.

They don't have to release the rest of the material to please 99% of the hardcore base. Just the main songs.

Atlas
Oklahoma
Seven

Boom... Chinese over.

Just put all the extra CD left over songs that have vocals on the CD anniversary addition and then they can move on
its really simple

Board footer