You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The General and Monsters

misterID wrote:

From what Axl said he’d always intended it to be a double album and was talked out of it. When he spoke to Loader in the late 90s in that phone interview he talked up a bunch of songs. Without Bucket there were at least 20 songs. If we include Dtune, Curly, Elvis, Devious Bastard, and whatever interludes between songs that’s a solid double album

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Time went by and they borrowed from the second album by 08.

Yeah, the vision for album number one clearly shifted during 01-03. It's clear from the 2019 leaks that they had the core of the new album on RM1 with a handful of tracks (like If and IRS) on other discs, with album 2 clearly in the oven already (Sorry, Shackler, Better plus the other instrumentals).

Somewhere along the lines, album 1 was in the oven too long and got overbaked. Then they started cannibalizing. Taking parts of songs to finish other songs and taking tracks from album 2 for album 1.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

The leaks is probably what changed the album.They  just said fuck it and put everything that leaked on CD and a couple of extra tracks, so the follow up albums all had unheard songs

I think scraped would have been a B side but they threw it on CD as punishment for everything leaking and said yeah take this shit song instead of something better.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

The leaks is probably what changed the album.They  just said fuck it and put everything that leaked on CD and a couple of extra tracks, so the follow up albums all had unheard songs

I think scraped would have been a B side but they threw it on CD as punishment for everything leaking and said yeah take this shit song instead of something better.

Go back to the Limewire Leaks thread and look at the OVERWHELMING response to Scraped. The first two pages are love for Scraped.

GNRBOYZ1225
 Rep: 0 

GNRBOYZ1225 wrote:

I never hated Scraped like everyone. The guitar is insane

Mike McGann
 Rep: 0 

Mike McGann wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

I think “Scraped” is great.
In fact, for me, Chinese D
Is my fav album.

And not just by Guns. 
It’s my favorite ever
By any artist.

I’ve been a Guns fan
Since I was 14 years old
In ‘87.

I like what I like.
And I LOVE “The General”
And “Monster” kicks ass.

It’s evolution…
At least, that’s how I see it.
Music maturing.

Splash

/Mike

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

After the release of this set of songs... Absurd to Monsters...I think it's now much clearer on what the A and B lists really were.

Fans always took it as A list = Big Guns, B list= everything else.

It's more like the A list is fully fleshed out songs and the B list is all the 1 verse and a chorus on a loop stuff plus the various instrumentals, sketches, and obvious throwaways.

No one had any idea at the time that big guns would actually be on this B list.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Loved Scraped. But then again, I liked Don't Damn Me and Garden Of Eden and consider them highlights of UYI. Scraped has a clear thesis and POV. Scraped is what I was waiting for the whole time, along with Prostitute. People have different opinions.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

After the release of this set of songs... Absurd to Monsters...I think it's now much clearer on what the A and B lists really were.

Fans always took it as A list = Big Guns, B list= everything else.

It's more like the A list is fully fleshed out songs and the B list is all the 1 verse and a chorus on a loop stuff plus the various instrumentals, sketches, and obvious throwaways.

No one had any idea at the time that big guns would actually be on this B list.

You mentioned this before but Ezrin was correct there were very few hits on this album of mostly deep cuts.  The other problem is that a lot of these songs lack something that puts it over the edge.  It lacks hooks for an album of mostly deep cuts.  I mean a lot of it is good but I don't feel the need to listen to it repeatedly because it's catchy.

Even Slash and Duff can't save the reheated leftovers.  I mean they are nice songs because I'm a hardcore fan.  Have casuals listen to them and you'd get the " uh what is that " reaction.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Bill Brasky wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Yes please, I feel there should be a separate section for this type of stuff.

yeah discord or badapples

So you would rather remain with your head in the sand ?

No i'd rather discuss the point of the thread instead of it being side tracked by a never ending argument.

Board footer