You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Which member do you respect the most?

I agree Jim Bob, but I guess you don't have to badmouth people to disrespect them. They haven't really done anything publically, which is enough. All we can ask.

I always got the sense that Tommy had no respect for Duff... but I have no reason to base it on and therefore will let myself be shot down for it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Well certainly Ron for his fan friendly attitude if nothing else, on top of that he's a great guitarist and seems a very genuine guy so he has my respect.

Robin has never led the fans on and stayed very professional throughout the whole thing, he's also a great guitarist. On the downside when he does talk to fans he talks in annoying riddles that mean nothing and I hated his look in 02.

Whilst it's not a common opinion I respect Fortus too, he's a good guitarist (better than he's given credit for), he really gets in to the shows (why people use this as a way to criticize him is a mystery to me) and he talks to the fans. Admittedly his emails should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm certain he tells the fans what he knows to be true at the time.

Tommy's get on board comment didn't go down well with me and he's nearly inaudible on the leaks.

The rest of them meh.....I'm not convinced Frank's permanent, Dizzy just plays what Axl writes and I'm not overly keen on a specific synth guy in GNR. I don't dislike any of them and I'm sure they're cool guys but they don't excite me either, I don't go to a GNR show to see any of those guys.

As for Axl he's done plenty I do respect him for, he's one of the greatest frontmen ever and he's written some of my favourite songs and of course he's lead singer of my favourite band. On the other hand the lack of communication is not cool and the late show starts show a distinct lack of respect for his audience, I don't care how 'rock n roll' it is.

Sky Dog wrote:

You know what I'm going to say.:haha:
1. Tommy-because he has never waivered and has stuck hard by Axl's side for 10 years.
   *as far as any comments he has made about Duff, I have only heard him mention him once. He said he met him a few years ago and said Duff was a "sweetheart.":smile: He also said that when he learned all the songs he was suprised at how physically demanding they were to play. That was a compliment to the old band.
2. Robin-seems like a wonderful person and only waivered once leaving for NIN in 1999.
3. Ron-another great guy.

honorable mention-Buckethead-for having the balls to turn his back on the debacle.

Ron hands down.   I think he really has tried to reach out to the fanbase like no other in the current band and for that alone, I have the utmost respect for.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Communist China wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Communist China wrote:

^ Why? Just because he talks to te fans? Or because of his solo career?

It's more of an indictment against the rest of the guys that it is a plug for Ron.  Ron seems like a good guy who respects the old band.  That by itself is good enough for me compared to the others.

What makes you think the other guys don't respect the old band?

Although I think Ron's a great guy and a great player, I think it's easier for him to come off as respectful because he doesn't have a lot of stock in CD. Guys like Robin and Tommy and Brain have spent years ont his material, and their 'disrespect' may just be frustration over a lack of identity.

Ron is the only one I've heard say he respects the old band.  It's not always what you say, sometimes it's what you don't say.  The butchering of the old material by Finck doesn't give me the impression he appreciates the music much less the artists that made the music.

It's just my opinion.  I do feel bad for the other guys to some extent, but they got themselves into this situation and have made the decision to stay.  I'd honestly respect them a lot more if they left.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

but I would say Axl.

well yeah i thought that was a given though...

i dont think any new member has attracted new fans to the fanbase...aside from maybe buckethead..i could be way of base of course but i would wager that a good 99.9% of us are here cuz of Axl

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Axl for the win. Aside from Axl I go with my man Robin. Robin's proven one of my favorite GN'R members, past or present.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Robin.

If there's one person in any possible post-UYI, who's bound to take a furious amount of heat from the fanbase (second only to Axl himself), it's the guy who is viewed as the Slash replacement. To his credit, Robin took the job, saw his initial term through, tried out with old flame Trent again and still chose to come back. For years, he had to put up with rather malicious comments about his playing, his appearance, everything in him that wasn't Slash. Certainly Robin was anxious to differentiate himself from Slash in the get-go; otherwise he wouldn't have donned his NIN regalia at RIR3. But he started to change, try out some different outfits. By the end of the '02 tour, he'd switched into a trippy grunge-glam appearance, which certainly spelled out showmanship. Once the band resurfaced, Robin blew past former critics away with technique that had evolved in leaps and bounds, now sporting a hair style more appropriate for an old hair band.

No other member (besides Axl) has had to deal with such a predicament, and many others would've quit the job midway, simply because of the animosity it attracts.

I also respect Tommy, and people need to stop taking the 'Get on board...' comment out of context. It's easy to take the cry-baby route about how Tommy was attacking everybody, when in fact, he wasn't. That comment was directed to the rumormongers that suggested Tommy had thrown his bass at Axl during the Guns' set at the Pigeons of Shit Metal gig, or that there'd been a mutiny against Axl down the line, led by Tommy. The way I read the comment (and Tommy's full statement) is that they were enjoying the tour as a band, and didn't need people stirring up shit. Sure, it's a bit vague a comment and not altogether necessary to begin with. But when people just remember the last sentence of the entire press release (which, on its own, does spell out a 'Take it or leave it' attitude from him), I doubt the blame lies solely on Tommy. You want to blame somebody for a real 'Get on board' attitude, look no further than Del James, whose 'Side of the stage' column was one of the most ridiculous propaganda pieces I've ever read about the band.

With that said, give a it rest or.... tongue

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy's thing is blown WAY out of proportion. That was obviously a prepared statement from Merck and Tommy just agreed to sign off on it. It sounded nothing like something Tommy would say. I blame Merck for all the ridiculous press releases. His 13 tuesday's left thing and a few others were atrocious.:sick:

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

No one in the band gets my respect. If any of them had any balls, they'd stand up to Axl and say, "get this fucker finished or I'll walk." Big deal, you say. Axl has replaced many over the years, right? We'll if anyone walks now, I think we all know the whole thing would fall apart like a house of cards. The only two to have the balls to walk out on their own was Bucket and Brain. The current members act like scared little schoolgirls. They won't even dare utter a word about the band. Why? They can't. How can you respect a member if your favorite band if they aren't even allowed to talk about it.

Board footer