You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: NEW Marc Canter interview

Aussie wrote:

I would love to hear Izzy back contributing to the songwriting!

I think Marc even touches on the impact of the loss of Izzy and the effect this had on songwriting in that interview.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If my choices are Slash and Izzy or BH and Finck, I'll take Slash and Izzy every day of the week.  I'll take melodic solos and dynamic riffs over playing as fast as you can just to show your "talent" and some industrial "riffs" every chance I get. 

I still don't get the BH love.  His solo stuff is average at best and his strong contribution to nuGnR is limited to one solo on TWAT.  The "outdated" blues sound will never get old...it's been around for decades and it's not going anywhere.  There will always be an audience for melodic music.  You can't say the same for the industrial sound.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
starsko wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Who gives a fuck? You really wanna hear outdated blues-style guitar now? Seriously?

Almost everybody. Seriously. Except for a couple of nerds.

If that's true, name me some successful bands now using that sound?

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Buckcherry.

Slash's playing isn't dated. It's classic. It'll never go out of style.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
bigbri wrote:
starsko wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Who gives a fuck? You really wanna hear outdated blues-style guitar now? Seriously?

Actually, the White Stripes' latest album was all about blues. Slash is better at it than Jack White is, but it was basically a completely blues-based album.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
TheMole wrote:
bigbri wrote:
starsko wrote:

Actually, the White Stripes' latest album was all about blues. Slash is better at it than Jack White is, but it was basically a completely blues-based album.

Ha, it's funny you say that. Jack White actually has more in common with Buckethead than Slash. 16 Go to buckethead.tk and ask for the JW fans, they'll come flying out of the woodwork. Besides, the Stripes aren't exactly a shining example of success. JW is more into the Raconteurs than the Stripes.

If the Stripes, who really are in a class of their own, because their last album was piano based, and this one was a little bit of everything, and Buckecherry are carrying the torch for Slash, he didn't create quite the generation of guitarists as we might have thought. Definitely no modern guitar players are playing in the same mold as Slash, especially not Jack White.

starsko wrote:
bigbri wrote:

you got it fucked up.  the couple of nerds are the individuals such as yourself who don't like the band but still come around despite the fact that your favorite member left 12 years ago and isn't coming back.   not all of us sit around jerking off to thoughts of 1988 happening all over again.   get your facts straight.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If my choices are Slash and Izzy or BH and Finck, I'll take Slash and Izzy every day of the week.  I'll take melodic solos and dynamic riffs over playing as fast as you can just to show your "talent" and some industrial "riffs" every chance I get.

I'll take BH and Finck. I'd rather hear those two kick ass together(whether on demos or an actual album) than a reunited Guns trying to make AFD II or UYI III.

The two have(had) amazing chemistry together. Just because an album hasn't been released shouldn't sway opinions regarding that lineup.

Where does BH "play as fast as he can" on any of the CD songs?? You haven't heard much of his material if you really believe that.

Finck has some industrial roots in his playing. Its not a shocker that it'll show up in a song or two.

Slash is great, he's an icon, created famous solos, blah, blah, blah. I'll always respect him and enjoy the majority of his work, but that doesn't mean he needs to be in GNR right now. If Axl was too dump new GNR and have the old lineup come in and rerecord these songs, they would get dumbed down completely. On TWAT we'd get a Yesterdays type solo with Izzy strumming the guitar and Duff mimicking his standard bass lines.

No thanks.

I still don't get the BH love.  His solo stuff is average at best and his strong contribution to nuGnR is limited to one solo on TWAT.  The "outdated" blues sound will never get old...it's been around for decades and it's not going anywhere.  There will always be an audience for melodic music.  You can't say the same for the industrial sound.

Average at best?? Are you fucking kidding me? His Madagascar solo at Rio III is one of THE high points musically in GNR's entire existence. Slash could never even imagine such a solo.

As far as blues "never getting old", well U2 will never get old to me. Doesn't mean thats all I want to hear.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

While I prefer Slash to Robin or BH, for this GN'R I'd be most excited if BH came back and Finck stayed. I love Slash, and really want a solo album from him in the next two years, but for CD and new GN'R material BH and Finck are the way to go.

I don't like BH's solo stuff much, but with Axl pulling him slightly in the mainstream direction, and Robin there to trade off with, he's pretty damn impressive. His work saves songs like IRS and There Was a Time from mediocrity.

And Finck is very diverse. He can play the blues. How about his solo on a song called 'The Blues'? It may not be SCOM or NR, but it is extremely good and soloful. He wrote Better and plays a solo on it that is fantastic.

Board footer