You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Prince Discussion

polluxlm wrote:

Another artist finds his way to my heart.

All I had ever heard from the man was Purple Rain. That quickly labeled him with all the other nonsense pop acts from the 80s in my eyes. Damn was I wrong though. After hearing a lot of praise these last years I decided to try him out.

I decided to start in both ends, so I acquired Purple Rain and 3121.

Yeah, it's pop to the bone, but yet so complex and masterful. Purple Rain is packed with good tunes, 3121 is also very good but a little less accessible. This man got what, 20 albums? Gonna be a ride the next few months.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Thanks, I'll check those out.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I've been a fan for years and can tell you to FORGET THE HITS!  He shines with his lesser known work.  His BEST album (trust me I know this guy's music) is actually the Gold Experience.  Other standout albums are:  Dirty Mind/1999/Purple Rain/Graffiti Bridge/Diamonds and Pearls/O-+> (good call Russ)/ and Emancipation.  Surprisingly a great deal of his best work is unreleased.  If a few people show interest I'll upload some.  People generally don't give the guy a chance due to his whacky personality and (less than stellar) hits.  Sad, the guy really is a musical genius and one of the best guitarists of all time.  As far as his recent stuff I think it's crap. 3121 blows in my opinion, I didn't like Rave as much as Russ (Tangerine/I love you but I don't trust you anymore and his great cover of Everyday is a Winding Road being the only three that worked imo) and really only one album since Emancipation is fairly good and that is Musicology. Up to Emancipation however there is nothing but gold to be found for the most part!   I have the Superbowl performance from last year as well and it is amazing.  His take on the Foo Fighter's "The Best of You" blended with Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" is one of the best performances I've ever heard...anywhere/anytime.  I'll upload it soon.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I can't imagine why but I alway forget to mention The Gold Experience. Goddamnit that is a GREAT album. I'd also like to tack on a track that I've only known from Crystal Ball called "The Ride". Check that out too!

Please count me in on that "wanting you to upload some unreleased Prince stuff" list.

The Ride is an EXCELLENT blues song.  Another example of his guitar skills as well.  Many people don't
realize that when Prince started out he was very guitar heavy and very much compared to Hendrix by music critics.  Want proof?  Go listen to Bambi off of his self titled album or even better listen to the guitar (5 mins plus) solos at the end of I"m Yours off of his first album For You.  Crystal Ball (a 3-cd set of some of his bootlegs given the production treatment and released finally) had some great stuff.  Lovesign/Hide the Bone/Calhoun Square/She Gave Her Angels/Get Loose and Crucial all amazing songs.  The fourth bonus disc (an all acoustic album called "The Truth") is simply amazing as well.  Don't Play Me/The Truth/Comeback and Welcome 2 the Dawn are all mindblowing.

This guy deserves WAY more credit than he gets.  Never have I seen one person with so much talent...yes, I am being totally serious.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

You think 3121 sucks? Damn, your standards are high, but then again that's good since I like it a lot. Can't wait to hear the other stuff.

Sucks to be a thousand miles away from home now, but what the hell, I got internet. The Gold Experience coming down as we speak. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not a hardcore fan, but he does have some killer material. My favorite song from him is Money Don't Matter 2nite. Also love Cream. Both are from the Diamonds and Pearls album.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

My download failed, so I didn't get anything until today.

But now I have Emancipation, Diamonds & Pearls, Love Symbol, Sign O' The Times and The Gold Experience.

Haven't got the grip on any of them yet, but damn there are some killer tunes here. "We March" from TGE is simply a monster.

Ahhh, these next few days are going to be something as it all starts to unfold. Like meeting a new girl.

Thanks for all the tips.

Board footer