You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: CD update from record execs, it's 2006 again

polluxlm wrote:

Do you still have that 20xx hat?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Do you still have that 20xx hat?

I only stock 2008 hats now.

With my current Dr Pepper promotional campaign, the hats are only $9.99. Free shipping.

You also get a coupon for 20 cents off a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper.

I accept cash, money orders, credit cards, and food stamps.

No refunds.

This is great news if it's true, which I believe it is at this point.

Thanks for posting.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Doesn't really tell us anything does it? Ok, Axl has been playing songs for execs, as far as we know, he has been doing that for years... At least its not just strippers or shady 'collectives' now. Lol.

So he has been playing 6 new songs to these guys?

IRS
Better
TWAT
The Blues
Madagascar
CD

There you go, thats six which are new songs (to those who have not been following this stuff for years).

I still expect it to be a trainwreck, and suppose it already is! Sure the leaks we have on the whole are good, nothing in them is amazing or truly brilliant. I can imagine the only reason that BH is still on the album is that a) the company said 'enough is enough, get it out there' or b) that they cant make music as good as someone who left the band several years ago. I did laugh James when you mentioned the nut who said IRS was 'truly epic and would be as big as Stairway to Heaven' Blind fanboyism at its best! - IRS isnt fit to shine the shoes of the weakest tracks from In through the Out Door IMO.

Sure CD the song has its moments, as does the Blues (despite being 'GNR-Lite'), as does TWAT, but songs that have been in the making for a decade are not going to sound 'contemporary' as we have already seen. Maybe Better could be considered so, but in my opinion, its truly awful anyway.

Agree with James that the solo on TWAT is very Slashesque. When I listen to that track I can alway visualise the man playing it, cigarette in the mouth. The solos on this song are the only truly great thing I have heard from these guys and thats a shame. A guy that left years ago playing a solo that sounds a lot like someone who left even longer ago. Contemporary? Nope, just nostalgic - and I'm sure these guys are not looking for that in any way.

Oh well, any news these days is good.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Doesn't really tell us anything does it? Ok, Axl has ben playing songs for execs, as far as we know, he has been doing that for years... At least its not just strippers or shady 'collectives' now. Lol.

So he has been playing 6 new songs to these guys?

IRS
Better
TWAT
The Blues
Madagascar
CD

Not gonna dig for the article, but he previewed selected tracks from the album to Uni in late 06. It was likely some(or all) the tracks you just listed, as I remember the forum drama when some dude recorded Maddy playing outside Geffen Records on his cell phone.

That clip was analyzed by a thousand nerds more times than all Bin Laden audio/video footage were analyzed by the C.I.A.

Anyways, it looks like more tracks have been previewed. This offers up the possibility that Uni is literally cherry picking tracks for this album. They rejected it in 01, and maybe they have decided after all this time they will play a part in the making of the album(the album will not make back its money and Axl has no leverage). Uni is probably looking for an album with some potential hits. Now GNR are giving them a preview of six more tracks.

Uni could have had half the album in the can but was waiting on this next 'preview' of album tracks.

The whole thing is bizarre.

I'm starting to believe the record is coming out this year. Looks like Axl may finally be ready to dump it and move on.

Hiring great management is a sign things are really moving forward.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

if the record execs are complimentingthe music thats gotta be a good sign

as to what 6 songs? well i'm sitting with loco on this one

but with a management in place things do seem to be up and up lets hold on to our hats this may start to get a bit crazy 22

Sky Dog wrote:

Like I told you in pm James, he also played a bunch of stuff for the heavyweights at Uni in Dec  07.....which certainly jives with Beta's comments that the album was done before xmas 07. This info really tells us nothing.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I'm just going to come out and say this, and I'm not looking for a debate, it's just something I think too many people are dancing around or playing nice with to avoid controversy. I do think the leaks are brilliant. What I've heard so far of Chinese Democracy is a masterpiece and some of the best new music by any artist in years. The leaks, to me, have proven exactly what Axl wants this album to mean, that he alone was the strongest creative vision behind GN'R, and he alone will continue to be. This is not old band versus new band, this is just my admiration for the man's unquestionable talent and a group of songs that I think are nothing less than phenomenal. I think TWAT blows most of GN'R's catalogue away and is maybe the best rock song of the past decade. I think Finck's solo leading into Bucket's outro defines the song more than he's given credit for. I think the lyrics are top notch. I do not think the BEST versions of the tracks are overproduced, but I do think some of the leaks we've heard were never meant to be heard by anyone other than players like Dizzy and Pittman. See, "produced sounding" to me is like a compliment. I grew up loving Queen. The Illusions are my favorite album. I love GN'R as a down n' dirty sleaze band, but I love them more as this high concept machine that began in those Illusions days. I'm also someone who doesn't think the Illusions have any filler and prefers the polished album versions of the much bandied about "rough" demos. Do I think the CD leaks are dated? No. Quite frankly, I don't care what the rest of the music world thinks of them, and I know holier than thou rags like Rolling Stone will try and rip the shit out of these tracks, but Axl's made some pretty fucking fantastic music. Just had to get that off my chest. If no one else here truly thinks the songs are THAT good, that's okay, at least I do. But if anyone else does, say so, because I just did.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think they are close to being great...and I don't think these tracks were meant to be heard. I am with Tom Zutaut. I think the leaks are board mixes that the band was using for practice for a tour. The different mixes are to accentuate or bring out certain parts of the song so the band members can hear them clearly for rehearsal. We obviously didn't get the bass mix because Tommy's bass is buried WAY low on all the tracks!:haha: Unlike some other nameless few around here, I actually believe you will hear Tommy's bass loud and clear on ALL the final mixes for the album.:peace:

Board footer