You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Richard Fortus Talks To GnrDaily.com

gnfnraxl wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

That interview is just further proof that GNR ceased to exist as a band in 1997.

I wouldn't go that far, but like I mentioned in a previous post, the realists were right. Not when this type of thing was first mentioned, but in how it has evolved over time.

GNR is Axl with a bunch of session players who use the established name and incredible legacy to feather their own nest, and do it without any consideration or respect towards not just the name itself, but the fanbase that keeps the band alive.

This current lineup is not marketable at any level. You thought a GNR with BH and a "goth freak" in the lineup wasn't marketable?

Welcome to the new reality.

I'm going to say this, and you can chisel it in stone....

This record will never be released with the current lineup. Its just not feasible for the current lineup to promote the album. They have spotty resumes, they think of their solo shit before GNR, their interview skills are laughable, and they each have a track record of lame comments regarding this saga that can be brought up in any interview with a mainstream magazine.

If I can see that, I'm sure the new management can as well.

While it would suck to see him go, if Finck did leave, he actually deserves a pat on the back.

He made it through the ordeal with his integrity still intact, and he never disrespected the name or the fans.

Well wether you like it or not you actually agreed with me that GNR ceased to be a band when you said

GNR is Axl with a bunch of session players who use the established name and incredible legacy to feather their own nest,

.  GNR ain't a band anymore it is more or less a solo act but Axl is too chicken to release this as a solo act.  I don't like it but we all have to face the truth.  GNR ceased to be a band in 1997 and maybe even before that.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:

"no comment"

If somebody would ask one of them if they know Axl I actually believe they could answer with that famous no comment.  *lol*

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

OK..I just crossed live to the immaginary Richard Fortus in my head...and here is an update:

Big Pat - You and Robin played X Japan's "Endless Rain" as part of your
guitar duet during some of GN'R's Japanese shows in July 2007. Why that
song? Who picked it?

Richard Fortus - Robin and I picked it as we have limited control of our solo spots. It's a nice change as we have zero say on what GNR tune the band plays, which might be good I guess, as much of the band doesn't even know the names of the songs we never play. Anyway we picked out that tune because of the lyric "let me forget all of the hate , all of the sadness" which we felt was very appropriate to Guns N' Roses.

Big Pat - We know Robin has signed on to do NIN tour this summer. You guys
seem to have amazing chemistry on stage. Are you looking forward to
playing with him in the future? And speaking of chemistry, how
important is it?

Richard Fortus - I can't answer this. You see its possible Robin has left the band, or then again he might just be trying to fit in a NIN tour knowing that we won't be going anyplace soon. He may not know himself what he is doing. If he did make a choice, he may not have told Axl. And if he did tell Axl, why would you think I know the answer? So that's the Robin suituation. But as your question asks if I'm looking forward to playing with him - it assumes that I'm in the band as well as Robin. If I gave an answer to this question it would imply I'm in control of my situation, whereas actually, I'm a paid employee and only play in this band at the whim of Axl. If I piss him off by making assumptions about my future, I might just get myself fired. So I don't admit to looking forward to anything at all. I go to sleep at the end of each tour and hope i'll get a call next time. On to the last part of your question. Chemestry? Well you see I don't hire who is in the band, I'm an employee. If Axl puts Big Bird in as lead guitarist I'm going to dig playing with him if I want my paycheck. So it wouldn't be smart for me to start making implications about who i'd prefer in the band and how difficult it might be to keep me happy if/when the line-up changes.

Big Pat - There's a lot of buzz right now regarding GN'R and the Dr. Pepper challenge. Do you think you might be drinking a free Dr Pepper soon?

Richard Fortus - An answer to this in the positive or negative would stir up the fanbase and get me sacked.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Well wether you like it or not you actually agreed with me that GNR ceased to be a band when you said

GNR were a band in 2001. Fuck, it was practically a supergroup. The band wasn't being exploited then either. Those guys were ready to let the music do the talking and the band legacy enter a new chapter.

Now its just a bunch of guys trying to squeeze the wallets of the remaining remnants of the fanbase so they can have something to fall back on later.

Their interest isn't GNR. It isn't Chinese Democracy. Its using those two things for their own purposes. What makes it mildly amusing is that its happening underneath a vulture atmosphere of yes men and no one seems to have a problem with it.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

This is the most pointless interview i've seen in a while.  I really could care less about Fortus' views on the record industry.  What makes him qualified?  Nothing more than any other musician who's fame is tied to a band that has yet to release an album.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Big Pat - There's a lot of buzz right now regarding GN'R and the Dr. Pepper challenge. Do you think you might be drinking a free Dr Pepper soon?

Richard Fortus - An answer to this in the positive or negative would stir up the fanbase and get me sacked.

That one made me laugh lol

You guys are even more negative than me, but you have a few good points.

I think Axl really wants this to be a band and he wants it to be contribution from all parts involved. However, Axl have such a spotty reputation he has basically become way to leanient to handle a band. They need to be smacked a little around and set in their place. Jesus, how many drummers can advertise their name as "GNR drummer" now? Just who the fuck IS the drummer of GNR? That question was never even answered and it's stupidity beyond what stupidity is thought to be.

I wasn't always this negative. I have supported this idea and band all the way since 2000. Buckethead was an amazing feat to GNR. So was Robin. It was a looming super group with their own album and own image. That image...well..what is that image right now?

But there's a point you reach where you just have to stop and ask "ok, what the hell is going on?". No album, core members quitting and a horrid way of communicating with their fanbase.

Seriously, an interview with GNR's Richard Fortus done by a GNR website and he can't answer the GNR questions??? Just what the bloody fuck is that? He may have done the right thing that Fortus by not answering to the questions, but it is about time to look just a little bit further than to the tip of your nose and ask the question:

"Why is it like that?".

James

James wrote:
DCK wrote:

I wasn't always this negative. I have supported this idea and band all the way since 2000.

People shouldn't confuse "negativity" with lack of support. I have been perceived as negative by people for years, but I don't think anyone can question my support, at least regarding the music.

You can like the band without being a blind worshiper.

It was a looming super group with their own album and own image.

That 2001 lineup is one of the greatest bands in history, at least talent wise.

Its a crime that the lineup never got to reap the rewards of the album release and sure to be a defining moment in GNR's history.

As the 01 lineup leaves the saga one at a time, the talent level in the band continues to deteriorate.

At current pace, by the next tour there wont even be enough people talented enough to play the CD songs.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

You can like the band without being a blind worshiper.

Absolutely 100% correct

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

As the 01 lineup leaves the saga one at a time, the talent level in the band continues to deteriorate.

Well, we got the rhythm guitarist and drummer from Love Spit Love / Psychedelic Furs, wonder if they can spare a lead guitarist?

The greatest difference between those who left and those who stepped in is that (with perhaps the exception of Ron) the new guys are journeymen who've struck gold in gaining a recognizable entry for their resumes, a reasonable income from touring and a chance to record material for the upcoming studio album. All those who left had something to fall back to (with PHT likely having a dayjob outside music to begin with). The '01 lineup weren't hired guns, they wrote songs together and worked ferociously to become a unit in a studio setting. Everybody since then (with Fortus as a borderline case in the best of days) are substitutes for touring purposes. I'd reckon they're the real hired guns.

James

James wrote:

The band went from two members of Praxis to two members of the Furs. Thats a steep decline.

Board footer