You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: GNR issue statement about Robin

Neemo wrote:

but it adds something to why the recording process was delayed...hell it even explains a possible rejection and re-recording that some of us have talked about in the past

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Neemo wrote:

but it adds something to why the recording process was delayed...

I bet the label are kicking themselves now if the album was indeed rejected back in the day. I guess they didnt see the music industry collapsing due to P2P, torrents etc.

Even if the album is twice as good as the rejected version they won't make half the sales.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I think that Better was recorded in Drop D and everything tuned down a half step (making the tuning half step drop D flat).  That's what would make the most sense anyway.  And it wouldn't matter if guitars are tuned differently.  You can play all the same notes and chords in different positions anyway.  The problem lies when they play songs in different keys.  I think that's probably what Del was alluding to.  Axl's voice has changed since the project started all those years ago.  It's quite possible that they needed to adjust the keys all the songs were originally written in so that he could sing along.  That would mean they have to rerecord.  To me, that's what makes the most sense.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i think you guys are misunderstanding things

No, I understand this music tech stuff you guys are talking about, but these issues should have been dealt with long ago. Axl alluded to the album coming in 02, yet 6 years later there are "tuning issues"? Cmon.

I find it almost impossible to believe that a supergroup recording for 4 years while additional musicians, producers,etc. rotated through the saga and we are now faced with these circumstances.

Its starting to look like there wasn't nearly as much recording going on as previously thought. Like you said, this album was recorded in bits and pieces for over a decade, and you can feel the cut and paste jobs on tracks such as Better, CITR,etc.

A trilogy? Unlikely. The trilogy is probably the same sessions rerecorded on 3 separate occasions.

Maybe the reason most don't talk is because there isn't much to talk about regarding the project. Hell, back in 04, Stinson hinted that the record wasn't even going to be very long. He said that as the core CD lineup was imploding. Trilogy my ass.

Axl should have stuck with one producer during this entire project. The mess might be easier to deal with.

There's been rerecordings by various lineups since 1997. Its obviously not going to have the same vision he originally had in mind because he keeps adding people to it, and its people who just walked in the door not even knowing exactly what it is he really wants. At some point, the CD concept gets diluted and loses all meaning of its original intent.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

There's been rerecordings by various lineups since 1997. Its obviously not going to have the same vision he originally had in mind because he keeps adding people to it, and its people who just walked in the door not even knowing exactly what it is he really wants. At some point, the CD concept gets diluted and loses all meaning of its original intent.

I dunno if there really was any vision to dilute to be honest. Aside from the "industrial album" concept has he really had a vision? suz what we've heard sounds like it is a polymorphed version of the orig band....I mentioned this a while ago back in 06 when the 3 leaks appeared, but if you take what we hear on the leaks and compare what we hear from Slash, Duff and Matt in VR they really arent too far removed from each other

Robin would have been great on an album of Silworms, OMG and Madagascar type songs....but i think he really had to dig deep to move towards songs like the Blues, CITR, IRS and TWAT

yet OMG and Silkworms were "experimental" tracks ...riiiight....so again back to Axl's "VISION" in all honesty i can't really grasp what the "Vision is" suppsoed to be from all we have heard thus far...so therein lies the problem...did he just add layers and layers of shit just to make it sound more complicated than it needs to be? After 10 years or more of poring over the same songs i would lean to yes....but since i havent heard the final product i cant say for sure.

Does Slash release material too unpolished and not so well though through? maybe Rick rubin seems to think so .... i think its definately been proven axl thinks it through waaayy too much...i think that maybe, now more than ever that these 2 guys need each other .... it always gets talked about that Slash needs Axl to push him that extra bit further....i wanna go on record that maybe Axl needs Slash to make him let go of the songs and move on with life

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

does my post above mean a reunion will happen anytime soon? defiantely not...but to me, i think things are becoming apparent why they worked well together...Axl has the ability to look ahead....Slash is the spontenaety of Rock in Roll to a tee...they work great together especially with all the friction they cause toward each other

Robin and Tommy and Brain and Bucket, Pitman, BBF, Tobias, Freese ... they each know what they want ...they all know what they are good at and what they arent good at...the beggars and hangers on like fortus and frank and Dizzy....Axl's gotta drop those guys man they are not doing anythign for guns at all as far as i'm concerned

Freese, Tobias, Bucket, Brain and Robin have all already left...this isnt really Rons project but he seems to be having a good time being "A rockstar for a Day" but hes already made it known that he has the utmost respect for the orig guns...Pitman has integrity within the biz and i'm sure he could do any gig he wanted to, his pressence in guns is still confusing for me...Tommy seems on the Verge of revisiting his past...."this whole thing is fucked up" to quote maddy....i jsut cant see where its gonna wind up at....its all too convoluted 17

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
russtcb wrote:

new email posted from Del at htgth. This is the part that deals with Robin. The other half deals w/ the Slash/Axl at an NYC hotel. That half is posted in that thread. Here's the first part:

Hey, there's all kinds of silliness and speculation floating around on the internet but as far as I know whatever Robin's plans are there are no plans in Guns to rewrite or re-record Robin's parts for the album.
They seem fine whereas before, and this was no fault of Robin's, there were tuning issues that needed to be addressed....

Take care,
Del

What the hell does it mean? I read you guys, but I just don't get it... Why Del even said this? What was the question?

As I see it can only mean that Robin's guitars were out of tune on (some) of the recordings. I've been saying it for years, now even the Axl camp managed to realize it? I'm not talking about his live performances, that was...erm...obvious. But I thought that his out-of-tone studio playing was somehow intended. There wasn't a person with a bone to tell Axl that Robin was out of tone? roll

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If Andy Wallace is the mixer that could be what they're talking about. Sometimes his
mixing sounds fuzzy. He's more of a raw rock producer, which struck me as odd as
why something so well produced and pristine as the demos production quality (which
is awesome, btw) that Axl would choose Andy to mix it.

Not to sure about it being the vocals since they're using protools on the vocals, according
to Axl. Which any problem would be taken care of very easily.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Maybe he didn't mean tuning in the musical sence..but tuning like fine tuning a car?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Tuning issues???

No wonder this album takes forever when Robin feels fit to leave for at least a year due to tuning issues??

"Yeah, we have do some tuning"
"Ok, talk in 2009 then, bye".

This is beyond stupid.

Board footer